grendell prime wrote:
Like most everyone else here, I’m as eager for news on home as anyone. With blu-ray setting the standard for hd-video, it seemed to me that news on home would be a great follow-up for the ps3, all things considered. Since I’m trying to get my post count up, and am bored out of my skull right now, figured I’d try to start a new topic for debate on a popular issue.
I've been following the GDC this year, in hopes of hearing some news on home, but looking back, I’m beginning to feel as though we will not see the full home release until the fall/winter. My reasons are below:
1) On September 20th home was officially delayed until spring '08.
2) Back on December 11, 2007, sir Howard Stringer was quoted as stating that he wanted a release of home for April 1, 2008. (source: http://news.spong.com/article/14434?cb=837 )
3) on December 16th, Jack Tretton states that the target release of the beta is first quarter '08. (He also makes note that the fiscal year ends march 31). (Source: http://www.mercextra.com/blogs/aei/2007/12/16/a_qa_with_sony_us_games_chief_jack_tretton_extended_ve...)
4) On January 7, Warner switched from hd-dvd to blue. on the same day, (Jan 7th), Howard stringer mentioned upcoming expansion for the ps network : (source: http://kotaku.com/341910/sony-boss-talks-playstation-network-expansion) Now what's interesting about this bit of info is that Howard states that there will be an press conference about this in two months time. if we count 2 months, that means the conference will be first or second week of march, and not at GDC, like a lot of us were expecting.
5) About 48 days ago, during CES, Paul Purdy also confirmed in-game XMB, although he did not give a date. (Source: http://ps3.thegamereviews.com/story-382-CES-2008-Sony-Confirms-InGame-XMB-Sometime-in-08.html)
Now in the past few weeks, a slow but sure marketing effect has been started at Sony.
First, we have the infamous "vanishing page" from Sony’s own website: (source: http://22.214.171.124/search?q=cache:c-xTBQXrSzEJ:www.us.playstation.com/PSN/default.aspx+http://www...).
Right around the same time, we were treated to a slew of new screenshots from the updated build of home.
Then on Feb. 15th, we got another hint of home in the blog posting by Dylan Jobe, of warhawk fame. During the post, he notes several features that will be accessible for warhawk via home. (Source: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/02/15/warhawk-v13-patch/)
Then on Feb 22nd, Sony's own Scott Steinberg gave us probably the biggest stated hint so far, referencing the beta stating that "we still haven't announced when that (the open beta), will be" he continues remarking on the software lineup and "full articulation" of home, but he later states "and i think we end the year with incredible momentum with these two elements working in concert together". (source: http://www.ps3news.ca/02222008/20/alas_no_120gb_ps3_or_in_game_xmb_yet_sony_talks_ps3_home)
Now this makes me believe that early next month, we will get Mr. Stringer's promised press interview at home, where more than likely a release window (or date) will be given for home. they will also let us know if/when the network will be taken down to fully implement in-game xmb, and the base files for home, and video streaming upgrades (possibly, and remember this is just a guess on my part). It would also be fair to estimate that they will keep the open beta going for a few months to stress-test it with large numbers (hopefully) signing on and communicating. With some luck and skillful marketing (not that they've shown too much of that so far), they would be in position to release the "actual" or "full-blown" version of home right before the holiday shopping season, which combined with the year-end releases of resistance 2, and a few other surprises which we should be seeing at TGS & E3, will give them the year-end momentum, and spring-board them into next year.
Now, as I said...this is just MY personal opinion, based on the news releases released so far. I think it's a fairly educated guess, and it really doesn't take a large leap of faith to come to these conclusions (unless you look at the way the ps3 release was handled).
Feel free to share your thoughts and ideas on this.
now what was on the vanishing page i never heard about that up until now is what the link ttransfers me to is that what was on it.
Waiting for Home and Socom
Congrats on an unprecidented feat.
It will be interesting to see if your hypothesis comes to fruition.
I didn't like the post because the font he used hurts my eyes.