Wastelander
765 posts

Re: Adults Only option for PS Home

Dec 28, 2009
Actually the only way to keep under aged people out would be a payment of some sort, This hits credit card statement so obviously parents would know if their card got hit with an unexpected charge.....
Message 41 of 132 (57 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
460 posts

Dec 28, 2009

Okay, this is just getting silly.

Go to my Casas' Home Initiative thread.

A piece of a post from my thread. #3 will get your attention.

1. Player block. Blocking the player will make them go into the "ghost" form shown as players as being rendered. No messages or actions they do can be seen or heard besides where the player is moving and if they're in anything. (i.e. Showing that they're playing a game of chess so you know why you can't jump in their seat.

2. Voice Chat. Public voice chat for all areas. While playing a game however, with the exception of the 1 player games, you are placed in a dedicated game channel to talk. This will provide lots of players the ability to ACTUALLY have long conversations and not work with just 1-on-1 phone calls and even if the phone call ability was allowed for many people at once it still is awkward getting random phone call messages from guys you just think sound cool. Only public voice chat can provide a game where you can meet new people and have fun and player block and my next proposed idea can balance that for the masses.
Note: Public Voice Chat can be disabled and players muted.

3. Age Voice Chat Separation. We all know there is a disclaimer in most PS3 games telling you about online interaction and how it's not rated, warning children and parents alike about it. Now you must think that the ESRB would be all over Home, seeing as it is a FREE game you get just for having a PS3 and how that would bother children to have mature people... or rather, immature people talk. You also know how people disregard the ESRB and how loads of kids play Rated M games like Modern Warfare 2 and Halo 3 while being underage. Age Voice Chat Seperation will fix this issue for everyone. First, give an obvious disclaimer (not just a large document to read) to people that online interaction is not rated and can be harmful to minors along with an agreement saying that you're okay with everything.
Next, all players below 17 (US ESRB M-rating is 17+) can be allowed in the same areas and interact with their friends and everyone but cannot public voice chat or hear public voice chat. Their only options are phone calls and personal spaces just as we work things now. Yes, they may try to fit through the loophole and fake their age but they have agreed to the disclaimer and still cheated it, it's their loss and it's not Sony's fault.

Message Edited by casabolg on 12-27-2009 09:01 PM
Message 42 of 132 (57 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2680 posts

Dec 28, 2009

JVBGFR wrote:

BurbeRy_TouCh420 wrote:

Credit Card verification would prevent false ages. What person under 18 has a credit card? Anyone who uses PSN cards (and has never used a credit card for PSN purchases) could tell you if a person is under 18. I have never spoke to an adult with a PS3 who uses PSN cards as a main source of purchases.

Hmm? What if someone over the age of 18 doesn't like credit cards? What if they would much prefer using PSN cards? I am one of those people, I despise credit cards. I'm a guy who likes straight up cash.  

What JVBGFR said about people not liking credit cards, I agree it's not a good method at all of age identification.

As for what I said about the 13 to 17 age option, it was a suggestion that seems to be going over like a fart in church.

I don't think there's going to be any resolution to Adults only in public places such as Central Plaze, the Mall, etc. 

"As far as I go, As far as I know, I always got a place called Home." - Tiga & memories

Message 43 of 132 (57 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
46 posts

Dec 28, 2009

BurbeRy_TouCh420 wrote:

Credit Card verification would prevent false ages. What person under 18 has a credit card? Anyone who uses PSN cards (and has never used a credit card for PSN purchases) could tell you if a person is under 18. I have never spoke to an adult with a PS3 who uses PSN cards as a main source of purchases.

Hi, I'm 21 and I prefer using PSN cards as it lets me keep track of my purchases a lot easier than having a credit card on my account I can keep clicking "buy" with.

Not to mention, kids use parents cards, that doesn't solve a thing.

Message 44 of 132 (57 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
253 posts

Dec 28, 2009
I'm 19, 2 years from 21. I'm not an immature kid going aroud harrasing girls. I enjoy talking and gaming with people over the age of 40.Now you're saying that I'll lose the privilage because of other people? Hmm...doesn't seem right to me....
smack!!! Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 45 of 132 (57 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5866 posts

Dec 28, 2009

ssssssbob wrote:
I'm 19, 2 years from 21. I'm not an immature kid going aroud harrasing girls. I enjoy talking and gaming with people over the age of 40.Now you're saying that I'll lose the privilage because of other people? Hmm...doesn't seem right to me....
Exactly. I'm 19 as well. 

Message 46 of 132 (57 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
565 posts

Dec 28, 2009
Too bad there's no way to actually prove someone is and adult online.  I know tons of kids that "falsify" their PSN account info so they don't have to get blocked by stupid age barriers.  Since they also generally have easy access to their parent's credit cards for purchases so even that normal form of proof of age isn't going to work.  The only way that would come close is if you had to actually prove your age with the PSEye ever time you loged in and it was always on so a mod could double check to make sure the authorised user was the one online.  For me that's a little too big brotherish.
Net neutrality is a lie. Stop acting like an idiot when you're online.
Message 47 of 132 (57 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Splicer
49 posts

Dec 28, 2009
I say no to the adults only section.I am 27 and yeah i do have some friends on my list that are 15 but ya know what this is called the INTERNET so if you want a adults only section why dont you send invites to your friends that are over 21 or whatever age you deem appropriate and tell them hey lets meet at my studio or where ever u have your app. then guess what problem solved 
Message 48 of 132 (57 Views)
Survivor
1870 posts

Dec 28, 2009

ApriL83 wrote:
ummm some adults are just as immature as the 13 year olds. no point in adult only spaces IMO

This is so true.
Message 49 of 132 (57 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3090 posts

Dec 28, 2009

ssssssbob wrote:
Agreed! It doesn't mean that all "children" or teens are perverts. I have met 14 year olds here in the forums and in HOme and almost all of them are respectful to the others

Photobucket
Message 50 of 132 (57 Views)
0 Likes