Feb 20 2011
By: NorseGamer Uncharted Territory 1187 posts

A list of Home's dance floors

8 replies 475 views Edited Feb 20, 2011

Anyone else out there a digital dance freak?

All of us have our favorite activities in Home. Glitching. Dolphy Racing. Bowling. Saucer Pop. Cross-dressing. And so on.

For me, it’s dancing.

In real life I can’t dance worth a damn – I’m Norwegian, for god’s sake, and our country’s claim to fame is sweaters, Ibsen and dramatic squints – but on Home I get to be Michael Flatley on a six-pack of Cherry Bomb Jolt Colas.

Many people have asked for additional dance moves (even if offered as for-purchase upgrades), and we all know the technological challenges involved in such a task. Since it doesn't appear to be on the horizon, I decided to put together my own dance combos. I'm certainly not the best at it, but I have to say that it's a really engrossing mini-game of your own creation, if you get into it.

(Stringing together dance combos in Home can be incredibly fun; the Yawn/Spin/Salsa/Running Man/Rock 'N Roll triple-spin combo, for instance, never fails to get a sea of "How'd you do that?" text bubbles.)

The great thing about dancing is that it gives your avatar something to do besides stand there and look jejune while chatting. And let’s face it, given the perpetual Mardi Gras costume freak-show that Home is, there’s something to be said for seeing ninjas, hamsters, hipsters, gangsters, pirates, UFOs and Jesus all gettin’ down together on the floor. It’s like an Armin Van Buuren remix of the David Bowie ballroom scene from Labyrinth – it’s just out there.

For a while now, I've been compiling a list of Home's dance floors; on a recent episode of The Upload (HomeStation Magazine's official podcast), there was a discussion about what some of the successful elements of a Home public space are (because, as you've noticed, some Home spaces are rather...empty, whereas others seem to be perpetually packed). One of the items that came up was having a dance floor with decent music. So, I'm compiling a list of Home's dance spots.

Here's what I've got so far:

1. Central Plaza

2. MotorStorm Carrier

3. WipeOut Museum

4. The Playground

5. SingStar/SingStar VIP

6. Red Bull Beach

7. Burn Zombie Burn

8. Sodium (Scorpio's Bar)

9. Ratchet & Clank

10. Konami Penthouse

11. Bomber Dome

Have I missed any?

I've actually posted mini-reviews of the overall dance experience at each of these spaces (except the Bomber Dome) at http://www.hsmagazine.net/2010/11/a-list-of-homes-dance-floors/ if anyone wants to read further. Right now, though, I want to make sure I haven't overlooked any dance spots. If there's one you know of that I've missed, please let me know.

Mahalo,

NorseGamer

Editor-in-Chief, HomeStation Magazine

www.hsmagazine.net

Message 1 of 9 (475 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1403 posts

Re: A list of Home's dance floors

Feb 20, 2011

Presentation Podium - Move  ( i love the music there)

Message 2 of 9 (475 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2338 posts

Feb 20, 2011

whusler wrote:

It is a great space but it's now unreachable if it's not in your favorites or if you don't know anyone who has it favorited Home needs more music spaces that DON'T include chainswing

Photobucket
Message 3 of 9 (475 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5047 posts

Feb 20, 2011

DiamondDust816 wrote:

whusler wrote:

It is a great space but it's now unreachable if it's not in your favorites or if you don't know anyone who has it favorited Home needs more music spaces that DON'T include chainswing

I am so glad I got it saved on my fav's list

JPConway

Message 4 of 9 (475 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4501 posts

Feb 21, 2011

YOU MISSED THE STAR WARS ONE lmao

YB

Message 5 of 9 (475 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1187 posts

Feb 21, 2011

You're right, I did miss the Star Wars Cantina. Good catch!

I thought about adding the Move space to the list, but wasn't sure if I should since it's not readily available any more. I'll admit, the one spot which I personally miss is the SingStar VIP room. It was a wonderful locale with a great view and relatively few trolls.

NorseGamer

www.hsmagazine.net

HSM issue #2: Coming Soon!

Message 6 of 9 (475 Views)
0 Likes
Lockwood Developer
535 posts

Feb 21, 2011

Well there are the animated dancefloors and lighting rigs available at the Sodium Store too.

Message 7 of 9 (475 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2338 posts

Feb 21, 2011

LockwoodVoice wrote:

Well there are the animated dancefloors and lighting rigs available at the Sodium Store too.

Lockwood Publishing Community Team "Your Questions Answered"

Bring your own music?

Photobucket
Message 8 of 9 (475 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1187 posts

Feb 21, 2011

LockwoodVoice wrote:

Lockwood Publishing Community Team "Your Questions Answered"

You know, that's a darn good point, and definitely worth mentioning. I've set up the Lockwood animated dance floors and lighting rigs at a few of my personal estates, and if done properly, you can make the Musicality Apartment go off like Armada when Armin Van Buuren is in town.

The interior cabin of the Amaterasu Yacht, in front of the EoD television, is another fantastic spot for a Lockwood discotheque. Particularly when you've got someone manning the Heavy Strike Cannon.

NorseGamer

www.hsmagazine.net

Message 9 of 9 (475 Views)
0 Likes