May 15 2012
By: Digitman3 Survivor 1454 posts

A Journey Through Home

[ Edited ]
17 replies 382 views Edited May 15, 2014

It's been quite a ride.  5/15/2009, a lazy May day, sometime in the afternoon, I took the plunge into the unknown.  I finally clicked on that mysterious "Home" icon I'd seen for so long but knew nothing about.  I went through the motions of reserving space for this, and downloading that, and before long I was in this place called Home.  The exact series of events elude me now, but I remember I was offered some limited time free space called Chamber Apartment.  With some trepidation I downloaded it, and in hindsight, OMG, what good fortune that was.

I was given a tour of my new personal space called Harbour Studio.  I was shown how to communicate, and how to select and dress up this little avatar guy that was to be me.  How cool.  I recall spending a fair amount of time in Wardrobe, changing features and dressing my guy up.  I was pretty proud of the end result (laughable today, what a dork he was).

It was time to go out in public.  My arrival into Central Plaza was uneventful.  I saw people standing around talking, some dancing, some sitting, some in groups, some alone.  I walked around discovering the space.  I stopped off to the side and practiced, as so many newbs do, my L1 and R1.  I liked the R1 moves, they seemed fun.  L1 replies seemed too limited.  I practiced sentences with the virtual keyboard, but man they took forever to type.  I spoke to no one and no one spoke to me.  Nobody came up to me and gave me a hard time.  No one came up to me period.  I decided to travel somewhere else.

Pressing start and clicking on some random tile, I downloaded another space.  I don't recall which was first, but I eventually went to all of them.  They were all different and yet all the same.  They looked different but they all had the same thing to do in them, nothing.  A few had games, but none of which got my attention.  I felt a little lost, unsure of what to do.  There seemed to be a purpose to this "Home", but it eluded me.  I decided it just wasn't for me.

Fastforward to December of '09.  I don't know where or what is was that I learned of a new game in Home called Salt Shooter, but I thought I'd give it a try.  Hooked.  What a game.  Best 5 bucks I've ever spent.  My purchase history shows I bought the pilots jacket on Christmas, 2009.  I played it almost nonstop for a couple of days, finally beating level 50.  There was no Plasma Emitter offered then, so the game was pretty tough, but I did earn my level 5 jacket.

I decided to explore Home again.  I found another space I hadn't been to, Uncharted 2.  I played the 3 mini-games, and was intrigued with one called Fortunate Thieves.  It was a simple game, yet complicated.  I played it quite a bit.  The opening screen of the game shows where the trinkets are that you want to collect, for about 2 seconds, then they disappear.  Hmm.  Using a digital camera, I started taking a shot of that opening screen.  I was unbeatable, except with the few opponents that were doing the same thing.  I played the game a lot.  I made my first real friends at this space.  Through these friends, I finally found that elusive purpose of Home.  It was them, my friends.  Yea, some of the games were fun, but playing with friends was better.  One friend had Neptune Suite, which we spent tons of time at, playing the games, bringing new friends over to play and win the rewards.  Lots of fun.

Those friends are gone now, but I thank them for the memories.  I could write a small book of my experiences between that time and now, but I won't, this is long enough.  I virtually live on Home, and my friends list is filled with some of the best one can imagine.  Home's growth has exploded since my first step into it, as has my ability to interact with it.  I'm a loner at times, but most times I hang with friends, teaching them what I can, and often learning from them, most times though just having fun, after all, that's what Home's about. 

Did anyone notice the date?  My avatar turned 3 4 5 today.  I think in Home years that makes him pretty old.  He'll be wearing his party hat for himself this time, and maybe have some virtual cake later.  What a blast Home is.

It has it's ups and downs, and I'm often critical of it, but I anxiously await to see what the future has in store for Home.  And thank-you my friends for making my Home experience that much better.

So...how's your journey been?    Smiley Happy  Dean

Edited to reflect today's age.  I wrote this last year.

Edited again to reflect my 2014 age.  I wrote this 2 years ago.  Thanks Mur.  Smiley Happy

Posted Image
Message 1 of 18 (382 Views)
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

Re: A Journey Through Home

May 15, 2012

Oh sweet Dean! Personally I consider myself lucky to have met you on your journey. I know you prefer Claire but's that's ok! Joanna enjoys your company too!

Message 2 of 18 (382 Views)
Wastelander
568 posts

May 15, 2012

my journey in home.

i click the home icon, waited 7 minutes for it to load....F13

fin

Message 3 of 18 (382 Views)
Fender Bender
3413 posts

May 15, 2012

I might as well share my story . I got selected for the Closed Beta Testing, I went onto HOME and it was very different! I first was teleported to Harbour Studio, which looed quite similar to the current one. Central Plaza though was very different, I walked around the plaza, trying out the interactions, and I went to the Listen Area and did the Funky Dance .  met some other people, the Plaza itself was quite arranged in a block format, more like a circle, I went to the mall, the music was relaxing I visited the Estate store first, I got the Summer HOuse which was $0.00, I then bought clothes for my avatar's! For girl's I remember buying the layered T-shirt, and For my main avatar, I bought the Gliet in Fleece. Let's time skip to 2010 (NOthing Really Special happened to me in 2009), It was January 2nd, I went to the Gamer's Lounge and it was packed full, I met my first friend there, then we both went to the Theater, using the World Map (pre-Navigator), I got the Legion T-shirt, then I went to Singstar V.I.P, and had a blast! I could go on but I think I can stop here for now.

photo tumblr_ltj7u6nyrU1qetp61o1_500_zpse82365c3.gif
http://auroraterra.deviantart.com/
Message 4 of 18 (382 Views)
Survivor
1454 posts

May 15, 2012

Thanks for the kind words Jo, it's always fun to hang out with you and whoever you decide to accompany you.    DG

Posted Image
Message 5 of 18 (382 Views)
Fender Bender
2760 posts

May 15, 2012

HAPPY HOME BIRTHDAY to you Digitman3. I am well past my 1st birthday on Home, but approaching my 1st Forum birthday in a month. Home has stolen me from my disk based games, although I keep buying new releases.

I was on Home by myself for a long time, quietly discovering rewards. I met my 1st Home friend when they approached me for help. Even though we do not hang together, we keep in touch and are always available to help when needed.

HOME RULES, in spite of F13 and all those other network gremlins.

Posted Image

Message 6 of 18 (382 Views)
Fender Bender
1571 posts

[ Edited ]
May 15, 2013

Wow Dean! I might be older in real life but you have me beat in Home years. You hit the nail on the head about the Home experience. Although I regret not being on Home sooner, what has made me stay is not the games or events but friends like you. 

My Home memories are much shorter than yours. But I consider the day we met at your Orb Runner class, a fortunate day for me. I met my closest Home friend that day. And since then the adventure we have had; from slaying beasts in Mercia, to flying the uncharted territories of our personal space, cannonball games, Falladega Raceway with our LMOs. Bet back in 2009 you never envisioned the toys we have now on Home.

Here's to many more years of adventures on Home my friend.

Happy 4th anniversary, 

Mur Smiley Very Happy

Posted Image
Message 7 of 18 (341 Views)
Uncharted Territory
983 posts

May 15, 2013

Very cool Dean!! We're right at the same age (as far as avi anyhow),.. btw, I think if ya started in '09 then your avi is 4 not 3, no worries tho haha in RL I've caught myself having to re-check my own b-day,.. Happy AVI Birthday eitherway!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 8 of 18 (323 Views)
Wastelander
635 posts

May 15, 2013
Such a nice posting for a change!! Thank you Dean for the trip with you down memory lane. My experience was pretty close to yours in the beginning, however when I got here I didn't get the Chamber Apt (like an idiot...always regretting that.). I've also made a lot of great friends on Home and continue to every day. (Here's wishing the friends list held more than 100.) I am so happy with Home, even when I run into trouble-makers I try to remember that they are probably just people trying, in their own weird way, to make friends. It was really nice to read your story and I thank you for such a positive one; i enjoy positive people! Maybe one day I will meet you in Home!
Message 9 of 18 (314 Views)
Survivor
1454 posts

May 15, 2013

Thanks for bringing this back up Mur, it was one of my favorites.  Yea, we've had a lot of fun, and I appreciate your friendship.  It's always better to be able to share your Home experiences with someone than fly solo.

In 2009 I didn't really know what to expect of Home, but I knew the potential was there for some really cool things, and we're finally seeing them, lots of them.  It's been fun to watch Home develop over the years, and hopefully it'll be around for many more for us to witness and experience even more awesome things to see and do.

@ TC915:  I wrote this last year when my avi turned 3.  I've edited the OP to reflect my avi's old age.  Thanks for the birthday wishes.

@ boxer_lady:  Thanks for the kind words.  I too wish the friends list held more than 100.  Almost all my friends are active Home users and it's really difficult to delete someone you have a past with to make room for a new one.  And about the noobs, idiots and miscreants, what fun would Home be without them?

Thanks guys.  Smiley Happy  Dean 

Posted Image
Message 10 of 18 (303 Views)