Aug 30 2012
By: ck2875 Fender Bender 3345 posts

A Guide to 'Mercia: Fractured Realms' (*Spoilers*)

[ Edited ]
97 replies 5826 views Edited Aug 31, 2012

A Warrior's Guide to Mercia: Fractured Realms

General Info: For more information on the background of Mercia, along with great insight into the development process, be sure to check out the developer diaries at Lockwood Publishing's website. If you enjoy the game, be sure to let Lockwood know on Twitter or Facebook, or by leaving a review on the Official SCEA Mercia game page.

Note: For a spoiler-free Mercian adventure, you will want to skip this thread.

Fame: A player’s “Fame” within the Mercian world is displayed above his or her avatar’s head, starting at Fame 0 in the tutorial. Currently, the Maximum obtainable Fame level is Fame 30: “Yvek.” I have observed that most players reach Fame 26 from their first complete play through of the game. Thereafter, three quests repeat to allow a player to obtain XP required for the remaining Fame levels. Your best bet at quickly obtaining XP after the main storyline is to have hoarded the correct pieces for the Oracle’s ‘Lizard & Beetle Parts’ quest. 'Slay the Beast' and 'Queen's Court' also repeat, but take more time.

Fame 30

Max Fame

Quests: Once completing the tutorial dungeon, a player will arrive in the Sanctuary, a serene setting free of Lizards and Beetles, and it will stay that way if the Oracle, Akek and the Gatekeeper find a worthy enough warrior (*Spoiler Alert*: That is you!) to protect this land.

Many of the items the Oracle requires a player to find will be unique, such as the pebbles, shards, and stones. However, there are other times where all you need to bring her are items that you can hoard in your inventory. If you plan ahead and don't go crazy selling your items to the barter stand, you can simply be like, "Oh. But look Oracle, I have what you seek!" and hand the items right back to her without going into the dungeons. This proves particularly useful with the 'Lizard and Beetle' remains quest that repeats after you have completed the main storyline. I recommend having around 3 full inventory slots (3x16) of each item needed for that quest by the time you reach the end so that you can quickly level up to Fame 30. I have listed in the quest list below, the items that are needed for the Oracle, when this is applicable. Plan ahead.

Quest List:

1. A Journey Begins
2. Delicious Juice!

• Give the Oracle 4 Beetle Juice Vials

3. Soul Searching
4. Prove Your Worth
5. Pest Patrol
6. The Shard of Nieve
7. Soul Searching
8. The Shard of Valkier
9. Husk Collector

• Give the Oracle 10 Beetle Husks

10. Shard of Deimonos
11. Shard of Valorus
12. Scouts Honor
13. Shard of Mortis
14. Carrion Slayer
15. Lizard Hunter
16. Warrior's Path
17. Plagues Plunder
18. Larvae

• Give 1 Beetle Larvae to the Oracle.
  • Note: Many people get to the large drone beetle and notice that it drops bags of larvae that they cannot pick up. This is because their inventory is full. Press L1, then go to your inventory. It will show how many item categories out of 24 you have used. Select something you don't need and drop it with Triangle.

19. Scouting Party
20. Cold Hearted

• Give 4 Lizard Hearts to the Oracle

21. Soul Searching
22. Slick Skin

• Give 6 Lizard Skins to the Oracle

23. Drones Demise
24. Swarm Slayer
25. Bug Hunter
26. Beetle Remains

• Give 3 Beetle Juice Vials to the Oracle
  • Give 3 Beetle Husks to the Oracle

27. Get Out Claws

• Give 5 Lizard Claws to the Oracle

28. Lone Warrior
29. Stone of Nieve
30. Stone of Valkier
31. Armoured Tyrant
32. Husks & Claws

• Give 2 Lizard Claws to the Oracle
  • Give 2 Beetle Husks

33. Brute Beware
34. Stone of Deimonos
35. Reptile Reaper
36. Stone of Valorous
37. Soul Searching
38. Juice & Scales

• Give 2 Lizard Scales to the Oracle
  • Give 3 Beetle Juice Vials to the Oracle

39. Stone of Mortis
40. A Hero's Hunt
41. Lizard Remains

• Give 3 Lizard Scales to the Oracle
  • Give 3 Lizard Hearts to the Oracle
  • Give 3 Lizard Beaks to the Oracle
  • Give 3 Lizard Claws to the Oracle 

42. Way of the Warrior
43. Lizard & Beetle Remains*

• Give 1 Lizard Scales to the Oracle
  • Give 1 Lizard Heart to the Oracle
  • Give 1 Lizard Beak to the Oracle
  • Give 1 Lizard Claw to the Oracle
  • Give 1 Beetle Juice Vial to the Oracle
  • Give 1 Beetle Husk to the Oracle

44. Queen's Court
45. Cliff Edge
46. Slay the beast!*

*Repeats indefinitely after last quest is complete.

Rewards: There are 26 current rewards for Mercia. These rewards unlock as a player progresses through Fame levels. 

Here are all of the rewards.

• Fame 30 (Max Level): Mercia Scout Beetle (Companion)
  • Fame 29: Pen Draig's Shield (Wall Item)
    • Note: Item Description says it is an in-game item, but it's just a wall item. The description is for Pen Draig's Warshield, which is a separate, purchasable shield.
  • Fame 28: Ornamental Ranger's Bow 2 (Wall Item)
  • Fame 27: Luxury Mercian Chest
  • Fame 26: Beetle Headdress
  • Fame 25: Dungeon Wall Torch (Wall Item)
  • Fame 23: Mercian Conqueror's Helmet
  • Fame 22: Mercian Fire Pit
  • Fame 21: Mercian Goods Chest
  • Fame 19: Utopian Gladiator's Helmet
  • Fame 18: Ornamental Ranger's Bow 1 (Wall Item)
  • Fame 17: Ornamental Stone Pillar
  • Fame 16: Traveler's Sun Tent
  • Fame 15: Hulking Turtle (Companion)
  • Fame 14: Soldier's Helmet
  • Fame 12: Ivy Adorned Pillar
  • Fame 10: Traveler's Stone Bench
  • Fame 09: Utopian Gladiatorial Headband
  • Fame 08: Mercia Beetle Pupa Companion
  • Fame 07: Mercian Plank
  • Fame 06: Mercian Block Pillar
  • Fame 05: Mercian Northland Helmet
  • Fame 04: Exotic Pot Plant
  • Fame 03: Warrior's Headband
  • Fame 02: Pleasant Pot Plant
  • Fame 01: Authentic Mercian Pots

Note: Better images of the rewards can be found on AlphaZone4.

Weapons: There are many weapons that are available to purchase in game (both through earned gold and PSN purchases). When you first start out there will be a select few items to buy. As you progress and complete quests, more options will eventually unlock for you to buy. You can sell weapons back to the store, but you lose half of the value in doing so. I recommend either purchasing one of the über-cool Legendary Weapons through in-game purchase, or saving up for the first 3 star Bow, and then using that until you really do require something better.

Note: Weapons are not clothing items, and cannot be equipped/worn outside of the Mercia spaces.

Blades:

• Knight's Blade
    • 1 Star - 1167 gold
    • 2 Star - 1420 gold
    • 3 Star - 1685 gold
  • Northland Warblade
    • 1 Star - 1167 gold
    • 2 Star - 1420 gold
    • 3 Star - 1685 gold
  • Utopian Blade 
    • 1 Star - 2779 gold
    • 2 Star - 3790 gold
    • 3 Star - 5273 gold
  • Primeval Blade
    • 1 Star - 2779 gold
    • 2 Star - 3790 gold
    • 3 Star - 5273 gold
  • Conqueror Warblade
    • 1 Star - 2779 gold
    • 2 Star - 3790 gold
    • 3 Star - 5273 gold
  • Kezpali Northland Warblade 
    • 1 Star - 2779 gold
    • 2 Star - 3790 gold
    • 3 Star - 5273 gold
  • Kezpali Knight's Blade
    • 1 Star - 7381 gold
    • 2 Star - 10447 gold
    • 3 Star - 12740 gold
  • Kezpali Primeval Blade
    • 1 Star - 7381 gold
    • 2 Star - 10447 gold
    • 3 Star - 12740 gold
  • Kezpali Conqueror Warblade
    • 1 Star - 7381 gold
    • 2 Star - 10447 gold
    • 3 Star - 12740 gold
  • Kezpali Primeval Warblade
    • 1 Star - 7381 gold
    • 2 Star - 10447 gold
    • 3 Star - 12740 gold
  • PURCHASABLE BLADES
    • Khul Mercali Utopian Blade
    • The Royal Blade (Legendary Weapon)
    • Taloc Warblade
    • Khul Mercali Northland Warblade
    • Pen Draig's Warblade (Legendary Weapon)
    • Eztil Blade
    • Khul Mercali Knight's Blade
    • Eztil Warblade
    • Khul Mercali Conqueror Warblade
    • Khul Blade
    • Khul Mercali Primeval Blade
    • Khul Warblade
    • Khul Mercali Primeval Blade 

Shields:

• Raider's Shield
    • 1 Star - 1037 gold
    • 2 Star - 1290 gold
    • 3 Star - 1555 gold
  • Imperial Warshield
    • 1 Star - 1037 gold
    • 2 Star - 1290 gold
    • 3 Star - 1555 gold
  • Utopian Shield 
    • 1 Star - 2623 gold
    • 2 Star - 3630 gold
    • 3 Star - 5158 gold
  • Kezpali Raider's Shield
    • 1 Star - 2623 gold
    • 2 Star - 3630 gold
    • 3 Star - 5158 gold
  • Conqueror Warshield
    • 1 Star - 2623 gold
    • 2 Star - 3630 gold
    • 3 Star - 5158 gold
  • Kezpali Imperial Warshield
    • 1 Star - 2623 gold
    • 2 Star - 2630 gold
    • 3 Star - 5158 gold
  • Kezpali Utopian Shield
    • 1 Star - 7259 gold
    • 2 Star - 10317 gold
    • 3 Star - 12438 gold
  • Kezpali Conqueror Warshield
    • 1 Star - 7259 gold
    • 2 Star - 10317 gold
    • 3 Star - 12438 gold
  • PURCHASABLE SHIELDS
    • Khul Mercali Utopian Shield
    • Alu Ra's Shield (Legendary Weapon)
    • Taloc Warshield
    • Khul Mercali Northland Warshield
    • Pen Draig's Warshield (Legendary Weapon)
    • Eztil Shield
    • Khul Mercali Knight's Shield
    • Eztil Warshield
    • Khul Mercali Conqueror Warshield
    • Khul Shield
    • Khul Mercali Raider's Shield
    • Khul Warshield
    • Khul Mercali Imperial Warshield

Bows:

• Northland Bow
    • 1 Star - 1718 gold
    • 2 Star - 2466 gold
    • 3 Star - 3096 gold
  • Knight's Bow
    • 1 Star - 4069 gold
    • 2 Star - 5539 gold
    • 3 Star - 7058 gold
  • Utopian Bow
    • 1 Star - 4069 gold
    • 2 Star - 5539 gold
    • 3 Star - 7058 gold
  • Raider's Bow
    • 1 Star - 9514 gold
    • 2 Star - 12987 gold
    • 3 Star - 16653 gold
  • PURCHASABLE BOWS
    • Alak Mak Gragor's Bow (Legendary Weapon)
    • Taloc Bow
    • Eztil Bow
    • Khul Mercali Raider's Bow
    • Khul Bow
    • Khul Mercali Primeval Bow

Armor: You will receive a complimentary set of basic Taloc Armor upon completing the Tutorial. Other armor can be purchased through the in-game store, but none is available to be purchased with in-game gold. Pay careful attention when purchasing a set, as some require you to be a certain Fame level before it can be used. 

Magic: You can create magic spells by equipping pebbles, shards, and stones you discover through quests in the Stones tab of the L1 menu (Press L1, go over two tabs to the right, and press L1 again. Here you can equip the various pebbles, shards, and stones. Try experimenting with different combinations to find one that works for you. Players start with three stone slots, but can add 1 additional slot for purchasing various armor bundles (limited to one slot unlock per type) for up to three additional slots. Each Pebble has 5 XP levels, each Shard has 5 XP Levels, and each Stone has 5 XP levels. If you have multiple items equipped, they will split up the XP earned. If you have only 1 equipped, it will get all of the XP. Keep this in mind when you return to complete a quest and you're about to receive a ton of XP.

The below stats are for items that have reached XP level 5:

• Pebbles
    • Nieve -  Ability: Heal 1 • Stat Buff: Health Max +50 • Elemental Buff: None
    • Valkier - Ability: Lightning 1 • Stat Buff: Mana Max +30 • Elemental Buff: Lightning (20)
    • Deimonos - Ability: Fire 1 • Stat Buff: None • Elemental Buff: Fire 20 / Fire Defense 2 
  • Shards
    • Nieve -  Ability: Heal 2, 3, 4 • Stat Buff: Health Max +220 • Elemental Buff: None
    • Valkier - Ability: Lightning 2, 3, 4 • Stat Buff: Mana Max +80 • Elemental Buff: Lightning (80)
    • Deimonos - Ability: Fire 2, 3, 4 • Stat Buff: None • Elemental Buff: Fire 80 / Fire Defense 15
    • Valorus - Ability: Attack Boost 1, 2, 3 • Stat Buff: Block +8 • Elemental Buff: Agility 20
    • Mortis - Ability: Plague 1, 2, 3 • Stat Buff: None • Elemental Buff: Plague 80 / Plague Defense 15
  • Stones
    • Nieve -  Ability: Heal 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 • Stat Buff: Health Max +500 • Elemental Buff: None
    • Valkier - Ability: Lightning 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 • Stat Buff: Mana Max +150 • Elemental Buff: Lightning (150)
    • Deimonos - Ability: Fire 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 • Stat Buff: None • Elemental Buff: Fire 150 / Fire Defense 40
    • Valorus - Ability: Attack Boost 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 • Stat Buff: Block +30 • Elemental Buff: Agility 50
    • Mortis - Ability: Plague 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 • Stat Buff: None • Elemental Buff: Plague 150 / Plague Defense 40 

Tips

• Work together.
  • If not before, start saving the parts for the Oracle's 'Lizard & Beetles Parts' quest around the time you reach Fame 20-22.
  • Once you complete one of the scavenger quests for the Oracle where you need to retrieve specific items, don't sell those items you find to the store, or you'll need to go back and find the pieces again.
  • Feel free to sell any Gems, Beetle Wings, or Turtle part you find. They are never needed in a quest.
  • If you're not finding a specific part you need, make sure you have room in your inventory to pick it up.
  • Unless there is already someone in the room, progressing backwards two rooms will usually cause the enemies to respawn if you then return.
  • When you return to complete a quest, before you check in with Akek, the Oracle, and the Gatekeeper, take a look at your Pebbles, Shards, and Stones tab (Press L1, Move over two tabs to the right and press L1 again.). Make sure that the items being used in the three tabs aren't at their Max Level. If they are, be sure to swap in another item that could use the XP to level up. You don't want to be wasting the XP on items that have already been maxed out.
Message 1 of 98 (5,826 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1649 posts

Re: A Guide to 'Mercia: Fractured Realms' (*Spoilers*)

Aug 30, 2012

Try not to get between other players with bows and their targets. Their arrows can damage you.

What? This isn't true.

Message 2 of 98 (5,821 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3345 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 30, 2012

LunarEmerald wrote:

Try not to get between other players with bows and their targets. Their arrows can damage you.

What? This isn't true.

Thought it was, and I've had other people complain to me about it as well. I'll edit it out until I can verify. I thought the person behind me was hitting me with arrows, but it could have been random xp drains.

Message 3 of 98 (5,816 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2949 posts

Aug 30, 2012

i beleive the "fixed" sharing XP when they put out the new beta build,  ive had times where i killed off the entire room of enemies but got no XP because the person that they wre ment for was just standing there.  however it does still drop items for you

BEWARE OF THE SPEEDING WHITE SAUSAGE!!!!!
mercia comic here --> http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Home-General/duty-to-the-spirit-mercia-comic/m-p/37428903/thread-id/1089731/highlight/false
Message 4 of 98 (5,804 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1649 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 30, 2012

Differences I've noticed so far:

More sound effects. Picking up loot, going through menus, killing an enemy, selling etc.

Turtles have a long range electric attack. Electric resistance finally has a purpose.

When selling, default is 1 instead of the max.

Attack boost lasts a bit longer.

Message 5 of 98 (5,773 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

Aug 30, 2012

Ck does an awesome job with this. So much help when actually playing the game. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 98 (5,771 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
572 posts

Aug 30, 2012

Great job Ck.

Message 7 of 98 (5,767 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 30, 2012

Has anyone checked yet this morning to see if Fame Levels have been reset for Beta Testers? I know the intention was not to do a reset but I certainly didn't have time to check that this morning before heading out of the house.

I would also like to know if there is any way to reset so you could play the game again. I'll be using my alternate account this week to play. I certainly don't mind earning many of the rewards again and the game is fun although I won't be rushing through it this go around.

Message 8 of 98 (5,758 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1649 posts

Aug 30, 2012

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

Has anyone checked yet this morning to see if Fame Levels have been reset for Beta Testers? I know the intention was not to do a reset but I certainly didn't have time to do that this morning before heading out of the house.

I would also like to know if there is any way to reset so you could play the game again. I'll be using my alternate account this week to play. I certainly don't mind earning many of the rewards again and the game is fun although I won't be rushing through it this go around.

They weren't reset.

Message 9 of 98 (5,755 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1649 posts

Aug 30, 2012

The gates in the repeatable Queen's Court quest still don't work.

Message 10 of 98 (5,743 Views)
0 Likes