Highlighted
Apr 10 2007
By: Dead_Air Uncharted Territory 2101 posts

1st Come = NO 1st Serve

21 replies 5 views Edited Apr 10, 2007
Have any of you realized that if it is first come = first serve, then most (if not all) from these forum's has no chance of getting into the beta!? Think about it, there are nearly 3,000,000 (million) PS3 owners and only 15,000 slots -not to mention the slots taken by "special" people. So lets run the numbers: Say half the PS3 owners are thoroughly interested in the HOME beta (which I doubt that few....but anwyays) and say 10,000 slots are available for PS3 owners after reserved slots are factored out (Still being modest here) So.....that would mean 1,500,000 people scouring the www.homebetatrial.com will pounce the moment sign-ups open for a marginal capacity 100 times less than the demand.

Can you say "Lagfest"? we'll be lucky to be the first ones there before wholly hell breaks loose and the site stretches and struggles to accommodate the traffic. Registration will be filled in a matter of MINUTES. Super-Geeks out there can easily run a program that can very well monitor the site and sign them up with pre-filled information the second the oppurtunity presents itself. If skilled and determined enough they can also hack the site and do as they please. How fair would that be to those staying up late nights / all day, or writing posts to pass the time, or installing all these different web refresher/watcher programs, or set the Beta trials site as their home page? huh?

Any method other than 1st come = 1st serve increases your chances....even if it is a random pick. So don't for one second think that you just may be faster to the clicker than the other 1.5 million people because come post-registration there will be AT LEAST 1,485,000 people (more than likely including you)  that are going to be VERY upset to have to wait about 6 more months for either the open BETA or the end product. So, Just think about it before you rant on about first come = first serve.

Not to stomp on your hopes or anything, because believe me I am just as convinced as you that I just may get a spot, but I just feel those that prefer the first come method do not see the flaw in their way, but if you see any + sides on first come = first serve or perhaps have a completely different method, then please share or comment on mine.

Message Edited by SiMpLy_ImPreSSd on 04-10-2007 12:51 AM
Message 1 of 22 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
385 posts

Re: 1st Come = NO 1st Serve

Apr 10, 2007
Positive mental attitude is all I am gonna say.
PS3 owner since Nov. 17 2006 9:05 AM

My Collection: Resistance: Fall of Man, MotorStorm, Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Warhawk, Lair, Guitar Hero III, Stranglehold and Assassin's Creed with Uncharted, Rock Band and Haze coming soon.
Message 2 of 22 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
709 posts

Apr 10, 2007
Just have to hope for the best!!
Message 3 of 22 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
924 posts

Apr 10, 2007
Luck is on my side
Message 4 of 22 (5 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1056 posts

Apr 10, 2007
Your all forgeting the fact that it could be a random pick of people sort of thing so there could be no bearing on when you got to the site.....
Message 5 of 22 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1751 posts

Apr 10, 2007
half of PS3 owners will not be siging up for the beta...  There are 3 million PS3's (some of which are people with mulitples and some are in use somewhere where they don't care about these sorts of things, whether it be displays or whatever, but forget that for this).  Probably half of that even know what Home is, half of that know that there will be some sort of beta, half of that have a real intrest in getting the beta(both of my friends who own a PS3 don't really care about home that much even though they know about it), half of that know the website to go to if they want to sign up, and half(probably much much less) of that would even check the website exactly when the beta sign ups open.  So I would say maybe around 95,000 people will be trying to sign up the day it opens (throughout a 24 hour period).... If it really is first come first serve, it will really just depend on how early you get there.  If you go to the website 4 hours after sign ups start, then yes there is a good chance you wont get in.  But if you are there within 10 minutes after sign ups starts, then you will get in.   Oh and by the way, no matter how many are interested.... random pick would give you the lowest chance.  Random pick means that everyone would have an equal shot of getting the beta.  So if there were 100,000 people, every person would have a 1/100,000 chance, no matter what there intrest level.  But if you are one of those people that are so interested that you check the website every 10 seconds, then your chances would be much better in a first come first serve.  The only people random picks would give a better chance to, would be the ones who don't really care that much and may check on it every week or so.

Message Edited by BWCheese on 04-10-2007 06:22 AM
Message 6 of 22 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
136 posts

Apr 10, 2007
also you have to remember that only approximately 40% of owners have actually logged in to psn (jack tretton stated in Ind. playstation magazine). that right there reduces the list of people even able to use home to 1.4 mil. then if even 70% of those are even interested in it  your down to under a mil. if 10,000 spots are left you actually have a 1:98 shot at getting in. at least that is better odds than winning most things.
Message 7 of 22 (5 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1338 posts

Apr 10, 2007
Wow you people really dont know a thing about beta do you? Its not a first come first serve basis. Its whoever has the best application that the company likes and chooses. Most beta's actually have people who go through the application on the text fields to see if your worth giving a beta spot to or not. Super geeks can go ahead and sign up first but I dobut they will have the beta experience that I along with some others folks have that sony may be looking for. Its all about filling out a good application.
Original 60GB PS3 dead
Second 250GB Slim in action

Playing a lot of FIFA 10 and MW2 right now
GT5 Hurry up please
Message 8 of 22 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1751 posts

Apr 10, 2007

Just2Fresh wrote:
Wow you people really dont know a thing about beta do you? Its not a first come first serve basis. Its whoever has the best application that the company likes and chooses. Most beta's actually have people who go through the application on the text fields to see if your worth giving a beta spot to or not. Super geeks can go ahead and sign up first but I dobut they will have the beta experience that I along with some others folks have that sony may be looking for. Its all about filling out a good application.

Huh?  An application?  Ive done beta's before... For SOCOM ,for example, Sony sent out emails to all people who were qualified (over 18, had a registered PS network adapter) And then it was first come first serve...  Sorry but Sony isn't going to be reading applications...  This is going to be a server stress test, we aren't going for a job interview.
Message 9 of 22 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2101 posts

Apr 10, 2007

BWCheese wrote:

Just2Fresh wrote:

Huh?  An application?  Ive done beta's before... For SOCOM ,for example, Sony sent out emails to all people who were qualified (over 18, had a registered PS network adapter) And then it was first come first serve...  Sorry but Sony isn't going to be reading applications...  This is going to be a server stress test, we aren't going for a job interview.

I agree with B-dubb. Sony doesn't have time to sit around and read over 10,000 applications, they have much more important things to do....like finish HOME!
Message 10 of 22 (5 Views)
0 Likes