Highlighted
Apr 16 2013
By: Kali_boiz_4life Sackboy 489 posts

would you more likely to buy ps plus if games are free?

28 replies 387 views Edited Apr 16, 2013

How many people who doesnt have ps plus currently, would buy ps plus if the games are actually free? Not free to rent untill you cancel membership?

sony's words that games are free are kindly vague. You dont really get to keep them. When I see the word free, I think of it as someone giving me something for free without me having to give anything back. In sony's case, i have to give back $50 a year, every year. I dont plan to pay $50 for life just to keep playing games that i get for free. I know some of you ps plus members will say stuff like, oh but ps plus is not about free games, its about auto update, auto thropy, cloud save, ect. Really? are you that lazy to manually update your system? or back up your save data into a external HDD once in a while? For me, ps plus is about getting discount and free games, but I just dont want to pay $50 every year to keep my games i got for free. My orginal plan for ps plus was wait till a good game is free on psn, get ps plus, download game, and cancel b4 it expires and still keep the game, but now i know its not really free, thats what keeps me from buying ps plus. I rather just buy the game, so I can still play them, years from now.

Message 1 of 29 (387 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10011 posts

Re: would you more likely to buy ps plus if games are free?

Apr 16, 2013

Kali_boiz_4life wrote:

How many people who doesnt have ps plus currently, would buy ps plus if the games are actually free? Not free to rent untill you cancel membership?

sony's words that games are free are kindly vague. You dont really get to keep them. When I see the word free, I think of it as someone giving me something for free without me having to give anything back. In sony's case, i have to give back $50 a year, every year. I dont plan to pay $50 for life just to keep playing games that i get for free. I know some of you ps plus members will say stuff like, oh but ps plus is not about free games, its about auto update, auto thropy, cloud save, ect. Really? are you that lazy to manually update your system? or back up your save data into a external HDD once in a while? For me, ps plus is about getting discount and free games, but I just dont want to pay $50 every year to keep my games i got for free. My orginal plan for ps plus was wait till a good game is free on psn, get ps plus, download game, and cancel b4 it expires and still keep the game, but now i know its not really free, thats what keeps me from buying ps plus. I rather just buy the game, so I can still play them, years from now.

the reason they r for rent is because of what u said just there cancel and keep the games

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 2 of 29 (380 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13737 posts

Apr 16, 2013

Kali_boiz_4life wrote:

So, when they offer games (which normally retail $10-$60) for free, and usually 4+ a month, over 12 months (so that's at least 50 games), and all you pay is $50, you think that's bad?

How long does it take to beat a game? A week at most?

How often will you go back to replay it?

Also, why would you stop after just 1 year? Pay for 2 years ($100) and still get like $500 worth of content free? (Not including discounts?)

It's like Netflix. I pay $8 a month to watch movies/TV shows($96 a year). If I stop paying, I can't watch them anymore. $96= 2-3 Blu-rays. So for the same price as 2-3 blu-rays, I can watch THOUSANDS of movies/TV shows a year.

Same policy for PS+. You pay the price equivalent of about 1 PS3 game, and get hundreds of $ worth of content in the year.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 3 of 29 (377 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 17, 2013

You're not paying to keep the games. You're paying to play them. They are what you're subscribing to.

Edit: As well, I don't remember the exact figures, but Sony has said that if you take advantage of every free item and sale over the course of a one-year subscription, you're saving thousands of dollars. So with that in mind, your entire arguement is null.

Message 4 of 29 (305 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14647 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 17, 2013

I could buy a month, go download the free games. Cancel. Then enjoy $50 worth in games for $5. The subscription is a great deal. MAYBE make a deal where they become yours after a certain amount of time subscribed.

For example, I buy plus and download Infamous 2. After 24 months of plus has passed (after the initial game download), Infamous becomes mine. 

There are problems with this when plus finally comes to an end (when would the games become free if the service ends only 6 months later?)

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 5 of 29 (369 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
489 posts

Apr 17, 2013

yea yeah, so bacally, its not free. Nexflix doesnt claim, get free movies/tv show for free when you sign up for membership. But sony use that word, free games, a lot. smh

Message 6 of 29 (364 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14647 posts

Apr 17, 2013

Kali_boiz_4life wrote:

yea yeah, so bacally, its not free. Nexflix doesnt claim, get free movies/tv show for free when you sign up for membership. But sony use that word, free games, a lot. smh

I think the community only uses that. I have never heard sony say that (they might have, but I simply do not recall it happening)

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 7 of 29 (358 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1209 posts

Apr 17, 2013

Kali_boiz_4life wrote:

You're right. The games aren't free. It would look pretty stupid if you went to the PLUS section of the store, selected Infamous, and saw "Buy - $19.99. PLUS Subscribers - $1.35 / $50."

Would you rather see "FREE" or a fraction of that $50 you've already spent?

Message 8 of 29 (349 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3209 posts

Apr 17, 2013
I prefer buying games in disk format. They look alot better next to my other PS3, PS2, PS1, and other older collection of games Smiley Happy Love to show off my collection of games
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
500GB Ps4 Owner Since November 22, 2014
1000 Model PSP Owner, PSP Go Owner and PS Vita Owner
PS1 and PS2, Both Original Systems.
Message 9 of 29 (344 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
10599 posts

Apr 17, 2013

When I first purchased my PS3 i wasexcited about getting a 3 month voucher for playstation plus. They had advertised it that I would get free games, which I did, but for 3 months. When the expiration date rolled around I was surprised when my games wouldn't load anymore. 

So the answer to your question would be yes. After that moment I decided it wasn't worth paying money annually to "rent" it for that year. True that I might have finished those games within the year, so it would be like I just was renting it, but I don't like to trade in or sell my games. 

Photobucket
Message 10 of 29 (340 Views)
0 Likes