Wastelander
854 posts

Re: will grid computing actually happen

Jul 19, 2005

ackley2 wrote:

I want,to run seti on my ps3, it will be more powerful then my pc and really,up my work unit count. Plus with linux being part of HDD package I do,not see a reason why it can not be compiled from source.

edit to correct spelling of seti

Message Edited by ackley2 on 07-19-2005 02:00 PM

I'm,sure you'll be able to do that with or without "grid computing" on the,PS3, it's all handled by the SETI servers and the SETI software (which,can run on linux).
,Anyway, I agree with Aleman, there's no reason for grid computing in,games, especially considering how much more reliable and simple the,current client-server approach is.  Still, you have to hand it to Sony for trying new ideas.

Message Edited by Malloc on 07-19-2005 04:10 PM

Message 11 of 22 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
854 posts

Jul 19, 2005

Cabbage wrote:
I can imagine a few years,from now, people coming on about how they lied about 40 launch titles,and **bleep** like that when they were all rumors

Sadly,,you're right.  Of course, they aren't lies, they're just ideas,that didn't work out perfectly or were delayed... it's called being,creative, not lying.  I'm barely holding back a rant here!
Message 12 of 22 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9342 posts

Jul 19, 2005

Malloc wrote:

Cabbage wrote:
I,can imagine a few years from now, people coming on about how they lied,about 40 launch titles and **bleep** like that when they were all,rumors

Sadly, you're,right.  Of course, they aren't lies, they're just ideas that,didn't work out perfectly or were delayed... it's called being,creative, not lying.  I'm barely holding back a rant here!

Im talking alot about the recent "rumors" as well
,And Go Ahead and Rant, I like reading your rants
However, this is actually part of my sig.
Message 13 of 22 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4437 posts

Jul 19, 2005
The problem comes from people repeating rumors so much that they become assumed facts.
Message 14 of 22 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9342 posts

Jul 19, 2005

Aleman wrote:
The problem comes from people repeating rumors so much that they become assumed facts.

Message 15 of 22 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
41 posts

Jul 19, 2005
*Warning* The following is an opinion based upon concept/rumor. It is in no way a statement of fact. We now return you to your regularly scheduled message thread *Warning*

I believe the whole (possible) grid processing capabilities is designed more towards Sony's goal of creating a line of workstations that implement the cell architecture.  Do I believe it is needed in the PS3, not particularly.  As previously stated, the developer cannot rely on multiple PS3s being linked together in a lan to make use of it, and to develop a secondary code that could use it while planning on not having is far too costly.
Message 16 of 22 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7534 posts

Jul 19, 2005
i seriously have no idea wut any of this meens, lol,
Message 17 of 22 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
267 posts

Jul 19, 2005
**bleep** is grind computing?
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Message 18 of 22 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9342 posts

Jul 19, 2005

-SHARP- wrote:
**bleep** is grind computing?

Multiple Cell's sharing resources with one another
Message 19 of 22 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6545 posts

Jul 19, 2005
actually, i remember ken saying that if u plug in more cells etc. that the picture would gert better before ur eyes so maby it atomaiticly upgrades ( in an interview he was tlking about playing ps3 on a cell powered tv and the more cells pluged in, the better the picture) also, evan IF it doesnt wrok real time it will stil work for ripinging etc. BTW isnt cell created to use grid computing?? also there should never be a lack of cells cuz its always supposes to be BB conected!
Message 20 of 22 (0 Views)
0 Likes