Aug 23 2012
By: SouthSideChris Monster Hunter 35 posts

why so gloomy???

21 replies 278 views Edited Aug 23, 2012

Alot of the posts on this message board are complaints about what the Vita can't do and why sony won't do this or that.  I think the Vita is a great piece of hardware that can do things that no other handheld has ever been able to do. Compare it to any of the Nintendo handhelds, there is no comparison.  Wii U is a half hearted attempt at making something to compete with the Vita but its really just a different type of machine and it still can't stand up to the Vita.  Basically I guess my point is... STOP COMPLAINING. There will be better games in the future. Games like LBPVita and AC3:Liberation are only a month or two away.  RELAX!!

Message 1 of 22 (278 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: why so gloomy???

Aug 23, 2012

There is no question that the Vita is a very powerful gaming platform, but the bottom line is so far the Vita hasn't sold well enough to meet expectations. Nintendo even with the stumble they had with the 3DS, has sold much better than the Vita and has a nice solid selection of games.

I disagree that the WiiU is Nintendo's attempt to compete with the Vita. I'm certain if the Vita never came out, there would still be a WiiU in its current form. Nintendo just like to innovate with new controllers, and the WiiU's tablet controler is the newest iteration of that.

I am sure with Cross Buy, AC3, and COD the Vita will probably do fairly decently this year. Personally I think a $50 price cut will go a long way. 

But IMO the Vita still has a steep hill to climb through the next year to properly establish itself in the market...

Message 2 of 22 (271 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2536 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 23, 2012

Adding to what Logical_Dolphin said, there's also the issue that right now there's very little on the PSV that could appeal to the Japanese market and, like it or not, that's where a good chunk of support from third party developers comes from. If it doesn't appeal to that market, then support will be less which contributes to less support~.

I love my PSV, I play on it everyday and I even repurchased some PSP games so that I could play them on my PSV. But sale numbers speak far louder than users' love for a system on a forum. And when users see week after week how the 3DS outsells the PSV 6 to 1, it's a bit understandable why some people are just too anxious or nervous about the uncertain future of their system of choice~.

Also, I think it's a foolish fanboy mistake to take the 3DS lightly simply because it's less powerful. Power means nothing without games to back the system up and right now, the 3DS clearly has that in the eyes of people which is why it's selling so well while the PSV isn't. In Japan alone, this week the 3DS sold 100k vs 14k of the PSV. So don't think less of the 3DS just because it lacks the hardware of the PSV, at the end of the day it means nothing without games and ultimately, this isn't a war, people shouldn't be tossing mud onto Nintendo's systems to feel better about their own~.

All that said, again, I adore my PSV. I just wish it'd have a more solid direction. A few games are coming, but I doubt those games will take it off the hole it dug itself into. Again, Sony needs to act smart and do something to appeal to all markets, not just the Western one~.

Message 3 of 22 (256 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
200 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 24, 2012

Think you got that backwards, using Vita with the PS3 is Sony's way of competing with the Wii U. So is Microsoft's SmartGlass. Just like Kinect and Move were for the Wii.

The only thing that can tell if buying the hardware is useless or not is by the amount of software as in games that come out for it and how they use that system's features.

I understand this is a Sony forum but doesn't mean you have a to be a complete fanboy. 

Edited for offensive language.

Message 4 of 22 (247 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2362 posts

Aug 23, 2012

You have to be blind to see how badly vita is struggling. No console has sold as low numbers and survived long. there is still time but the Vita is in rough shape, it's sad because the hardware is great. Poor Sony is having a real bad time.

Message 5 of 22 (238 Views)
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 24, 2012

DeathKidd wrote:

Think you got that backwards, using Vita with the PS3 is Sony's way of competing with the Wii U. So is Microsoft's SmartGlass. Just like Kinect and Move were for the Wii.

The only thing that can tell if buying the hardware is useless or not is by the amount of software as in games that come out for it and how they use that system's features.

I understand this is a Sony forum but doesn't mean you have a to be a complete fanboy.

Quote edited for offensive language.

If the Vita was Sony's way of competing with the WiiU, we would see a lot more games that have Vita/PS3 interactivity. I don't think anyone considering buying the WiiU will find the Vita/PS3 combination a compelling alternative.

The closest WiiU like game for the Vita/PS3 is LBP2 and that is basically it (other than the few cross play games available). 

So far it seems Sony doen't want to emphase too much Vita/PS3 interactivity, or it just may be it takes time to develop and implement properly. We probably won't see more until 2013 at the earliest...

Message 6 of 22 (227 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Moderator (Retired)
4145 posts

Aug 24, 2012

Thread cleaned up.  Please keep it on topic.

space_cape!!

Message 7 of 22 (166 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
42 posts

Aug 24, 2012

There are more threads with people complaining about others complaining about the vita than actual complaints about the vita itself...wordy i know'.

Message 8 of 22 (149 Views)
Fender Bender
2922 posts

Aug 24, 2012

Another one of these? I mean, I'm not saying it's bad, but it's getting quite old with "vita is bad" and "vita is not bad" discussions. Anyway, back to topic, people won't stop complaining. Period. You can't really satisfy them because there is always something they dislike, even if that something is something they were complaining of not having. If that makes sense.

Metallica Pinball Sig photo LONG-LIVE-PLAY-METALLICA-PINBALL_zps397a82cb.jpg
Gameplay -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzxc59Y6GcA
Message 9 of 22 (143 Views)
Sackboy
456 posts

Aug 25, 2012
Vita is having a very rough year. There's limited software/apps and compelling titles. While it was a rocky launch, I'm sure it will do well in the future. It just needs some more great games. Ragnarok Odyssey and Persona 4 Golden are coming out before the holidays, along with Assassin's Creed. It's around then that Vita will probably have better sales.
Message 10 of 22 (130 Views)
0 Likes