Feb 14 2013
By: Leviathan_502 Splicer 57 posts

why new generation consoles need to be able to play used games (angry rant)

32 replies 305 views Edited Feb 14, 2013

so unless your a moron that waves 100 dollar bills out thier zipper saying to the poorer gamers that they buy games new and never trade them in is a complete lunitic. i for one would love to see game stop fall and it looks like ill get to see that happening when new consoles are released that block used discs. i would rather game stop fall and some where that gives you a 50 percent trade in value where amongs the line they are making a 50 percent profit raises a new frachise. it is not only going to be the end of used game stores for new gen consoles but more imporantly it will be the fall of sony and microsoft. see these companies are in bed now with the console makers and are probably in talks with more profit range but they are forgeting one detail. a publisher for a game only produces X amount of copies. you may look for it months after the release if its not digital and the value of that game goes up in value maker online sellers make bank. once this sits in with the gamers no one will buy a new gen console no matter how gimmicky or great graphics it has. nintendo or ouya or what ever its called might top this generation of games. i dont know why publishers want to push for this when the games they sell arent going to be made forever. 

Message 1 of 33 (305 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Re: why new generation consoles need to be able to play used games (angry rant)

Feb 15, 2013
You are wrong to say that this will be the fall of SONY and Microsoft, people will move on to the next gen, with used games or without.
About only an amount of copies existing, right now I can find games dating to 2009, new, so if it isn't a problem now, it wont be on the future. Also, keep in mind that the more money a publisher gets from a game, is more likely they will continue to release copies of it.
Message 2 of 33 (294 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28988 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 15, 2013

A few points I want to bring up;

1. You rarely if ever save money buying used games. By not comparative shopping you are actually costing yourself money. I've demonstrated this before in the past, so I'll spare you now. 
  2. By embracing digital downloads, "gamers" themselves are destroying used games. And it will only get worse if so-called cloud gaming takes hold. So you're blaming the industry for something that you are currently contributing to. That's like wanting green energy, and driving a Chevy Suburban.
  3. If you like a particular game, and a particular development house, why not support them with your hard earned dollars?
  4. Nobody is going to quit gaming, because nothing else gives you the instant gratification that video games do. You're not suddenly going to pick up a book and start reading, or take up the guitar. It's not going to happen.
  5. Video games are an expensive hobby. However, you are by no means paying the most for games currently than you have at any other point in the industry's history. Games in the early 90's often topped out at $75. Now you get a lot more bang for your buck, and I know that those names at end of a game are meaningless to some, but those are the names of people who worked very hard to put the game in your hands, and they ALL deserver to be paid for their efforts. 

We've heard these tired rants before, and what it comes down to is that if you're really under the false assumption that used games save you money, you are clinging to a fallacy that is being perpeuated by GameStop. You can save more money by buying NEW instead of used, if you put some EFFORT into comparing prices. I know I've said the dreaded "E" word, however sitting back and ranting doesn't accomplish anything.

Message 3 of 33 (292 Views)
Splicer
57 posts

Feb 15, 2013

first off if its a used copy then the devs have already made their money. they are just doubling up the profit by provoking it. i dont buy digital downloads. i like hard copies. and i like taking my copies to friends houses and playing them. i dont have ps plus so i dont use cloud services. i have an externtal hdd and if i need to back anything up i put it on that. ill be damned if im going to pay for something i can do. ive heard pretty much all the rumors and that even games are going to go up to the 70-80 dollar mark. and if thats true gentlemen... it will be the end of these two companies. and this is coming from a sony fan boy.

Message 4 of 33 (283 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1283 posts

Feb 15, 2013

Leviathan_502 wrote:

first off if its a used copy then the devs have already made their money. they are just doubling up the profit by provoking it. i dont buy digital downloads. i like hard copies. and i like taking my copies to friends houses and playing them. i dont have ps plus so i dont use cloud services. i have an externtal hdd and if i need to back anything up i put it on that. ill be damned if im going to pay for something i can do. ive heard pretty much all the rumors and that even games are going to go up to the 70-80 dollar mark. and if thats true gentlemen... it will be the end of these two companies. and this is coming from a sony fan boy.

You're obviously uneducated on what you're talking about. If 200 people buy a game, 100 sell the game to Gamestop, 100 other people buy it Used from Gamestop, the devs have made only 200 out of 300 sales. That's $6000 less in their pocket (I'm not getting technical with how much money stores get out of a $60 game per sale), while you hog up their online servers and enjoy their game that you personally didn't pay them any money for if you bought it used.

If you took a look at PC gaming for example, brand new games are actually cheaper, whether it be Digital or Hard Copies. Why? The developers are able to cut prices because they actually make money from every single copy sold. When games are only sold New, prices drop because developers take in more revenue.

Message 5 of 33 (277 Views)
MVP Support
40067 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 15, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

A few points I want to bring up;

1. You rarely if ever save money buying used games. By not comparative shopping you are actually costing yourself money. I've demonstrated this before in the past, so I'll spare you now. 
  2. By embracing digital downloads, "gamers" themselves are destroying used games. And it will only get worse if so-called cloud gaming takes hold. So you're blaming the industry for something that you are currently contributing to. That's like wanting green energy, and driving a Chevy Suburban.
  3. If you like a particular game, and a particular development house, why not support them with your hard earned dollars?
  4. Nobody is going to quit gaming, because nothing else gives you the instant gratification that video games do. You're not suddenly going to pick up a book and start reading, or take up the guitar. It's not going to happen.
  5. Video games are an expensive hobby. However, you are by no means paying the most for games currently than you have at any other point in the industry's history. Games in the early 90's often topped out at $75. Now you get a lot more bang for your buck, and I know that those names at end of a game are meaningless to some, but those are the names of people who worked very hard to put the game in your hands, and they ALL deserver to be paid for their efforts. 

We've heard these tired rants before, and what it comes down to is that if you're really under the false assumption that used games save you money, you are clinging to a fallacy that is being perpeuated by GameStop. You can save more money by buying NEW instead of used, if you put some EFFORT into comparing prices. I know I've said the dreaded "E" word, however sitting back and ranting doesn't accomplish anything.

Couldn't have put it any better, so i'm adding nothing except to say, well said!

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri From 8am - 8pm PST
Message 6 of 33 (253 Views)
Survivor
2668 posts

Feb 15, 2013

buying used is a lot cheaper.  just takes patience.  i got madden 11 for 5 bucks. now im not good at math but i know 5 bucks is a lot cheaper than 60.  so i had to wait a year or two. oh well,  its still football, right?  especially with the madden series i refuse to spend 60 bucks every year just to buy a game with the new year on it.  i rarely buy new games.  and its not the price issue.  i just have plenty of games i need to finish. and i figure, with the ps4 coming out soon, that means ps3 games SHOULD be cheaper.

Message 7 of 33 (245 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1013 posts

Feb 15, 2013
You're absolutely right fidelity. Used games only hurt the market because the devs only get money for the original sale.

Leviathan, used games do nothing to help the industry except for making it so that the second-hand shop gets lots of profit. Look at GameStop. They give you a dollar or two for a game, say Star Wars the force unleashed, they then sell that exact copy and sell it for $10 - $20 (average for a used game at GameStop). That's a profit of $9 - $19 per copy that they buy from you. Since they didn't buy the game from the publisher, none of that profit goes back to the game industry, it goes straight into gamestop's pocket. This is extremely bad, and only hurts the industry as a whole. If you think that buying used games is good for the gaming industry, you're clearly one of the dumbest people in gaming. The devs deserve to be paid for their years of hard work (the average game takes 2 years to make). If GameStop goes under because of used game prohibition, it's only going to help the industry.

As for the average amount of profit a store makes from a NEW game sale, Walmart only makes about $3 per copy.
My PSN
Message 8 of 33 (240 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28988 posts

Feb 15, 2013

TornadicInferno wrote:

buying used is a lot cheaper.  just takes patience.  i got madden 11 for 5 bucks. now im not good at math but i know 5 bucks is a lot cheaper than 60.  so i had to wait a year or two. oh well,  its still football, right?  especially with the madden series i refuse to spend 60 bucks every year just to buy a game with the new year on it.  i rarely buy new games.  and its not the price issue.  i just have plenty of games i need to finish. and i figure, with the ps4 coming out soon, that means ps3 games SHOULD be cheaper.

You got a THREE YEAR OLD game for five dollars. The servers have been shut down, and there's no longer any roster updates. Is that really a "bargain"?  Sounds like they squeezed five dollars out of you by selling you a game they otherwse couldn't GIVE away. I could probably get 8 tracks at a yard sale, does that mean they're a "bargain", or that I'm "saving money"?

It IS a price issue, and as I've stated before by not shopping around you are just costing yourself money.

Message 9 of 33 (221 Views)
Splicer
57 posts

Feb 15, 2013

um no. that means they made 200 out of 200 sales. X anount gets traded into gamestop and they sell it 5 dollars off the new price considering its a used game. and  thats how they get thier profit. just because people are dumb enough to pay 5 dollars cheaper without paying a 10 dolar fee to play it online if it requires are idiots. which your saying if i buy a used copy and i want to pay it online i shouldnt be able to because of not paying full admission? are you the one thats uneducated thats why they are starting to use online codes to play. and to be honest alot of games dont have alot of online communities due to every one always on COD. no on the other hand there is a game that retails for 40 bucks but you can get it half off used. and if it came with everything it was supposed to like online, book, manual, ect. are you saying you would not take that used game? ive been buying new games lately due to knowing they wont price drop any more. DMC, Ni no kuni, black ops 2. but with some of my other games i want to check out and are sceptical about i vulture used games. and if you disagree then you sir are an idiot. good day.

Message 10 of 33 (209 Views)
0 Likes