Highlighted
Mar 07 2012
By: kythunder Fender Bender 3105 posts
Accepted Solution

whats those heatsink clamps really do.

5 replies 632 views Edited Mar 7, 2012

hello all,my first time posting but have read lots over the years,but i have a question i can not find a answer to,i have a cechlo1 80gb fat model and i have replaced the thermal paste before and went great,this time one of the screws broke that screw into the heatsink that go threw those clamps,i easily got the broke screw out and found another screw with the same thread and i noticed that the bottom sheilding is what actually pulls the heatsink up to the cpu/gpu when you tighten the screw and not that bracket,so what does them brackets really even do,i still replaced the bracket but only one side has a screw holding it and i just used my soldering gun and soldered down the other side to the sheilding on top as if it had a screw in it but i noticed them brackets are not what pulls up the heatsink like i see on so many posts,you could do away with them and still get the heatsinks to fit and work,just wondering if anyone knows what they really are there for,since i have did my solder job to one side of one clamp everything is working fine and dandy..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 1 of 6 (632 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Re: whats those heatsink clamps really do.

Mar 7, 2012

It presses the motherboard against the heatsink so the CPU and GPU can transfer heat

Furiously Chaosing
Message 2 of 6 (632 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Mar 7, 2012

i understand that concept but i tested out one before i put it all together without one and it spread the thermal compound the same as with it,but i guess every little bit of extra pressure don't hurt lol,as to why i just soldered the one side down,didn't feel like waiting to get the proper screw for it so thats how i went,will just take a little more work next time i do the thermal compound because i soldered it down good and its been on for several hours and runs as good as it always has.

Message 3 of 6 (632 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Mar 7, 2012

If you think about it though, it makes sense. Those thermal compounds are pretty viscous. It takes pressure to squeeze them as flat as possible. You don't want a thick layer of compound, you want a thin layer. The thinner the better. Given the viscosity, if you screwed it down without the clamp, you might notice the board slightly bowing. Since the clamp applies pressure directly under the CPU and GPU, it prevents any bowing by providing three points of pressure, the screws on either side, and the clamp in the center.

Message 4 of 6 (632 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Mar 7, 2012

you know that makes sense as well,keeps it all even but the spread pattern when i used the line method the spread was the same but it could have put undue pressure on it,i guess its all the same though the way i have it with the regular screw and my solder mod lol,looks a little crude but does the job all the same.

Message 5 of 6 (632 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Mar 7, 2012

well i just went ahead and pulled it all back apart and that screw that was broke i surely but slowly drilled a hole threw it and found me a perfect screw that was the right length and thread and ran it threw the broke one and works just like the original and i have a better piece of mind playing it now anyway lol,drilling threw that screw wasn't easy either but i finally got threw it,my original reasoning for taking it apart in the first place was to clean it up and see how AS-5 did on it after one year and to be honest it did not need it,i would think it would last several years without issue and i play the thing pretty heavily too,but i got it all back original now so play on and have fun..

Message 6 of 6 (632 Views)
0 Likes