May 27 2012
By: ismashu1994 Splicer 85 posts

what is wrong with sony can't download while playing?

11 replies 96 views Edited May 27, 2012

I thought "Sony Did Everything" but apparently i can't even download while playing a game... Once I load up a game the download automatically stops and said pending... I am downloading a 11 GB file atm right now and have nothing to do but be on my computer or on my smart phone texting or playing games...

Message 1 of 12 (96 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Re: what is wrong with sony can't download while playing?

May 27, 2012

If you believe everything that is marketed, you deserve to be called an idiot.

Theres a reason why the PS3 does not perform concurrent downloads while playing a game.

I leave that up to you to figure out why. And its not because "It cant do everything"

Furiously Chaosing
Message 2 of 12 (96 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29191 posts

May 27, 2012

I go away for a week, and I see we're right back to "C'MON SONY!!". The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Message 3 of 12 (96 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
60 posts

May 27, 2012

ps3 only has like 256mb of ddr3 ram...so thats why i think it cant download while playing nor have cross party chat...

Message 4 of 12 (96 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
85 posts

May 28, 2012

I don't get what a graphics have to do with downloading in background... I mean I could download in background on my really old intel extreme graphics 2 64mb DDR ram.

Message 5 of 12 (96 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

May 28, 2012

ismashu1994 wrote:

I don't get what a graphics have to do with downloading in background... I mean I could download in background on my really old intel extreme graphics 2 64mb DDR ram.

I hope you're joking.... Where was the guy talking about graphics?

Furiously Chaosing
Message 6 of 12 (96 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
60 posts

May 28, 2012

ismashu1994 wrote:

i was talking about the main/system random acess memory (RAM)/memory of the ps3 -.- graphics card vram has nothing to do with downloading games.. of course u can download in background on an old pc....maybe u just got confused with the ps3's 256mb vram and 256mb system ram

Message 7 of 12 (96 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
85 posts

May 28, 2012

Jexter24 that computer that I had with the intel extreme graphics 2 has a 256mb ddr ram also so I don't think ram can make it not multi task just for a simple download.

Message 8 of 12 (96 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
60 posts

May 28, 2012

yeah but a pc is made for multi tasking and ps3 main thing to do is gaming. on an old pc you can probably surf the web, skype and chat at the same time casue its made for that. however on the ps3 you can even have the cross gaming chat like xbox cause it has less ram than xbox.. the game that your playing on the ps3 is probably taking most of its ram already and some of the ram is taken by online feature like psn messages, notifications, etc...
i found this old thread about why the ps3 cant multitask - http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/499849?start=0&tstart=0

Message 9 of 12 (96 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

May 28, 2012

ismashu

the problem here is that you dont understand what goes on when you play a game.

on either the PC or Console platforms, when you are playing a game, the game is the MAIN program  running and NEEDS as many resources as possible to run smoothly.

With PC's they've been designed to multi-task. Even newer multi-core processors and RAM exceeding 6Gb, have the programming built in so that they only take as much resources as needed to run so it can leave the remainder for more programs to run in the background.

But when running a game, that doesnt bode well because even with the most decked out PC, you can have some slight issues gaming, especially with budget gaming PCs such as frame drop, slow down, skipping and even freezing regardless if the PC meets or exceeds the minimum requirements for the game to run smoothly.

for a console, the amount of resources is VERY LIMITED as for the PS3 there is only 256mb of system RAM and 256mb of video ram and they do not interact with one another. Once the PS3 loads a game, thats it. Its using almost all of the PS3's resources to run the game.

There was an article that explained why its impossible for cross-game chat to come to the PS3 and thats because once a game has all the resources, IT DOESNT LET IT GO. Thats why when you are in a game and use the ingame XMB, you are always prompted that you need to quit the game in order to use a certain XMB menu item, to include background downloads

Also another reason.... this is a GAMING CONSOLE first.... so it will do just that.. PLAY GAMES..... if you want to multi-task, use a PC.

if you still cant understand, then you simply will never understand.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 10 of 12 (96 Views)
0 Likes