Oct 05 2012
By: Kali_boiz_4life Sackboy 489 posts

what is the best method to apply thermal paste?

3 replies 424 views Edited Oct 5, 2012

I looked around youtube and i see people putting a small amount, about rice size paste on the chips and then just put it back together. They claim this is all it needed, but if you pull the heat sink away, it doesnt spread evenly or cover the whole chip. I saw other methed which use a credit card to spread the paste. IMO this would be the better method, but it used more paste. Just want to know what is the best methed to re-apply thermal paste.

Message 1 of 4 (424 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7738 posts

Re: what is the best method to apply thermal paste?

[ Edited ]
Oct 5, 2012

Do NOT do the credit card spread method. Ever. No matter how careful you are, you will introduce air bubbles which would drastically drop thermal conductivity.

A Rice-sized paste would be insufficient too, that's meant for smaller CPUs rather than the big heatspreader of the CELL and RSX.

The best method is to apply a large dot, approximately 1cm high, 1cm diameter. Then quickly put the motherboard and screws back on. This allows the paste to get squished and flow naturally, filling the microscopic gaps and crevices as it gets pressed in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Y3y3Xs04NRg#t=378s

Note in the video how I alternate tightening the left and right screws. This puts even pressure on the heatsink, allowing even flow of paste for even coverage.

I did this thermal paste job on April 2011. And even after a long time, it just stays so quiet! :smileyhappy:

Message 2 of 4 (421 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
478 posts

Oct 5, 2012

Use Arctic Silver and apply it using the rice grain method. Be sure to use a no clean, lead free flux pen on the cpu and gpu first. Mine has been running since November 2011 after I did this.

Message 3 of 4 (405 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7974 posts

Oct 6, 2012

Arctic Silver 5 is the easiest to spread just seems more like grease. The others like Nanotech compounds seem thicker drier and not as easy.

I sugguest using a flat edge peice of plastic. I repair consoles every day with many repairs lasting beyond 6 months, 8 months, and even 1 year. I've been doing this for the last 2 years every single day.

You want a thin, evenly spread, coat of thermal compound. The size of the PS3's heat sinks are huge. Be sure to tighten all of your screws down when re assembling and you shouldn't have any issues.

What method are you using to unflex the mother board and re heat the solders? Just curious.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd73/rseverclear/Lightemuprsteele2.png

Message 4 of 4 (382 Views)
0 Likes