Aug 26 2013
By: aegisknight First Son 4 posts

using an external fan?

8 replies 128 views Edited Aug 26, 2013

My launch fat ps3 had a YLOD a few weeks ago, so I had it professionally repaired. However, after 10-20 minutes, the fan kicks onto high gear, and I am afraid of running it too long and risking another breakdown (I play as many PSX games as I do PS3 on it, so I can't replace it with a new model)

If I were to get a 3rd party external fan, would this help keep the temp down? I have read elsewhere that they are very much recommended against, but that has always been directed towards people with healthy PS3's and just added extra crap to them. If anything can actually keep this thing's internal temp down to keep it healthy for as long as possible, thats what I'm looking for

Message 1 of 9 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
500 posts

Re: using an external fan?

Aug 26, 2013
Was the thermal paste renewed? Ive had my ps3 since launch and the fans were nuts immediately playing a game. I just changed the paste and i haave yet to hear the fan on high.
Message 2 of 9 (116 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Aug 26, 2013

I don't know. I just took it in for the repair and paid the guy once I verified it was working.

Before I got YLOD the fans were not going high while playing. About a year ago in the summer they were (I had no AC at the time), I am under the impression that the damage was done during that time with the recent incident an indication of it. The repair man warned me that I would not have 100% after the repair, but I am really worried about damaging it again.

So if an external fan can help with circulation inside the machine to keep it a bit cooler, that is what I would want (the ambient temperature isn't bad). I have plenty of space on all sides of it now, occassionally I put an ice pack about 4 inches from the main intake port on the top/side (I've been playing it flat) so it is taking in colder air, which seemed to help a little bit. 

If I got an external fan it would be AC powered, not USB, since I don't want to put any extra drain on the power supply (I imagine that would just make the problem worse).

Message 3 of 9 (104 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7856 posts

Aug 26, 2013
Adding those aftermarket intercooler fans might just make it worse.

This is because the smaller (read: cheaper) fans used in intercoolers don't push as much air as the big internal PS3 fan and will only likely obstruct airflow somewhat.

The best, method in fixing most overheating issues is proper thermal paste and proper reassembly of the cooling system.

If you insist on adding a fan, don't point it at the PS3. Instead place it in front of an open window (if possible) to try and lower the ambient temperature in the room.

Message 4 of 9 (96 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
500 posts

Aug 26, 2013
From what ive heard placing fans will make it worse. The ps3 is made to push out the heat so if you use fans, they would counteract agaisnt eachother and maybe even do more damage to the ps3. I would serioulsy think about new thermal paste if you think he didnt replace it. I replaced mine myseldf and i am no means an expert at the insides of a ps3. I followed step by step utubes vidoes. Considering the age of my ps3 i had nothing to lose
Message 5 of 9 (93 Views)
PlayStation MVP
16332 posts

Aug 26, 2013

If your PS3's fan is kicking into high, its doing its job to keep the PS3 cool....

Furiously Chaosing

I get you so horked up

Message 6 of 9 (80 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Aug 26, 2013

I am aware of that. However, kicking into high within minutes of starting a game means that the PS3 is getting too hot too fast. I was considering an external fan to take some strain off the stock cooling system.

[quote]From what ive heard placing fans will make it worse. The ps3 is made to push out the heat so if you use fans, they would counteract agaisnt eachother and maybe even do more damage to the ps3. [/quote]

most decent aftermarket fans fit over the exhaust and suck more air out, forcing more air to move through the PS3 at a faster rate than normal. 

While I agree that the stock cooling system will do its job under most circumstances, I have already suffered a breakdown and am under the impression that the repaired solder is more vulnerable than what comes out of the factory, so I would want to keep the system cooler than the onboard computer would normally deem necessary.

So far I think I might not need one, after a few scares right after the repair it seems to have more-or-less stabilized at the 3rd highest fan setting (which is loud but I know its doing its job). New heat paste still might be a good choice, I will have to look into it.

Message 7 of 9 (72 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16332 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 26, 2013

aegisknight wrote:

While I agree that the stock cooling system will do its job under most circumstances, I have already suffered a breakdown and am under the impression that the repaired solder is more vulnerable than what comes out of the factory

Thats false.... if your PS3 was given a Reball.... the solder is BETTER than what comes out of the factory(that is, if they used leaded solder), because Sony used lead-free solder. This type of solder is KNOWN to crack over repeated heatcycles which causes eventual YLOD. Leaded solder doesn't have this issue, and is what is used on a proper reball.

If your PS3 is really getting THAT hot, then either you only got a reflow, which is a band-aid fix and WILL YLOD again soon. Or they reballed with lead-free solder, which WILL last for a while but still give you a YLOD.
Or they didn't properly fix it.

I've fixed PS3's for a while for pocket money. 

BUT, the other possibility is that the Fat PS3's DID use a 90nm die size, which has a larger power requirement which means more heat overall.... yes, even when playing the most menial games. My 60Gb does it, even after I only changed the thermal paste  (still waiting for it to YLOD so I can reball it myself). 
This is NORMAL. The Fat PS3's are known to be space heaters.... Heck, I even used it as a space heater for 2 winters because I would let it run Folding@Home all day every day. Didn't even have to turn on the heater in my house at all.

In short, no. Theres not much you can do, short of using a small desk fan blowing towards the PS3 all the time or actually turning on the A/C in your house.

Furiously Chaosing

I get you so horked up

Message 8 of 9 (70 Views)
PlayStation MVP
2599 posts

Aug 26, 2013

aegisknight wrote:

My launch fat ps3 had a YLOD a few weeks ago, so I had it professionally repaired. However, after 10-20 minutes, the fan kicks onto high gear, and I am afraid of running it too long and risking another breakdown (I play as many PSX games as I do PS3 on it, so I can't replace it with a new model)

If I were to get a 3rd party external fan, would this help keep the temp down? I have read elsewhere that they are very much recommended against, but that has always been directed towards people with healthy PS3's and just added extra crap to them. If anything can actually keep this thing's internal temp down to keep it healthy for as long as possible, thats what I'm looking for

Yes, actually, you can. PS1 games ARE fully 100% playable on PS3 slim and super slim by disc or digital. Are there really people who dont know that?

Message 9 of 9 (64 Views)
0 Likes