Oct 01 2010
By: garysmithy2 First Son 5 posts

unplugged my ps3 while it's on

12 replies 5721 views Edited Oct 1, 2010

My cat tripped into the cord and unplugged it while it's on, does that damage or hurt the console in any way?

When that happens, I can hear some kind of a echoing noise from the ps3 as opposed to quiet turn off when I use the power button.

But it still works fine, but I'm worry about the damage it caused?

Message 1 of 13 (5,721 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
86 posts

Re: unplugged my ps3 while it's on

Oct 1, 2010
i don't know if it works and as long nothing was saving at the time. but if it echos you might want to get that looked at.
Message 2 of 13 (5,721 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
572 posts

Oct 1, 2010

It's like if you were to turn a computer off manually by just holding down the power button without using the shut down feature, it'll damage the hard drive. The same thing applies to the PlayStation 3. If you flip off the switch in the back while the entire console is on,  you risk damaging the hard drive. If it's done over and over again, then the % of it being damaged increases. I'm sure since this may be your first encounter, it probably won't hurt your console.

I remember when I was downloading and installing a game on my PlayStation 3 and there was a storm here, the power went out and when I turned on my console again, I got a "corrupted file" which was the file I was downloading but didn't damage the system itself.

Overall, if it's done repetitively, it'll hurt the system but if it rarely happens, don't worry about it. You'll get to send an error report to Sony indicating what happened, etc.

Message 3 of 13 (5,721 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Oct 1, 2010

can someone turn on their ps3 and then unplug the cord and see if you can hear that echoing noise?

I mean if you compare to turning it off normally, you'll notice the difference, can someone who don't mind try it? and then tell me if that noise is nothing of concern or if it's a big deal?

Message 4 of 13 (5,721 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
410 posts

Oct 1, 2010

If it's still working fine there should be no cause for worry.  I'm not certain, but if there was a power surge associated with it then it should have damaged it immediately rather than having a slow affect.

Nobody should shut their PS3 off by unplugging it though just in case it does screw it up, so please don't ask people to do that! 

Message 5 of 13 (5,721 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
86 posts

Oct 1, 2010
well geeh that's just asking a little too much there buddy
but my ps3 is really loud now because it began freezing on me, then it wouldn't turn off. but it sorta went away when i got a Monster Power Audio/PowerCenter. what it does it to save energy AND prevent surges like when the light start to go out. They are NOT on the cheap side but alot of times, Bust Buy has some older versions on clearence. there is no difference what so ever, it would probably have less outlets.
Message 6 of 13 (5,721 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Oct 1, 2010

I'm just being very paranoid.

But my PS3 is ok right?

It only happened one time and I just got it like 4 days ago and it's brand new!!!

Message 7 of 13 (5,721 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
86 posts

Oct 1, 2010
like said before, nothing should happen if it was the first time. and if something did happen, your store warrenty would have covered it. you know the 14 or 30 day warrenty.
Message 8 of 13 (5,721 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Oct 1, 2010

yea but I already throw away all the packaging and stuff

now I'm gonna get my cat away for sure and also buy a surge protector

Do you think the PS3 can last me at least some 5 years down the road? I didnt damage it and shorten its life right?

Message 9 of 13 (5,721 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3613 posts

Oct 1, 2010

garysmithy2 wrote:

can someone turn on their ps3 and then unplug the cord and see if you can hear that echoing noise?

I mean if you compare to turning it off normally, you'll notice the difference, can someone who don't mind try it? and then tell me if that noise is nothing of concern or if it's a big deal?

If the cat unplugged it, then the plug was not in right.

Plus the cat shouldn't have been able to get next to it.

Photobucket

1TB 7200RPM Destop HDD Under it's own power outside of the ps3 Smiley Tongue
Message 10 of 13 (5,721 Views)
0 Likes