Jun 04 2011
By: orangemutt Lombax Warrior 101 posts

uh oh...starting to like plus.

10 replies 18 views Edited Jun 4, 2011

I thought that same thing I thought when I first heard of the service...This is stupid.  Discounts on store items, and free titles that I would most likely not buy anyway.  Cloud saves are cool, but I have a 1.5G external so it's really uneeded.  Then I remembered the "auto-update" feature.  After turning the service on, I deleted my BFBC2 game data (usually takes close to an hour to update) shut my ps3 down and went to bed.  After arriving home from work (having forgotten about this test), I was surprised to find a notice as I fired up my ps3, saying BFBC2 had been updated.  TOO COOL!  This feature alone has me wanting to subscribe, because some games have some large updates (burnout paradise comes to mind).  I haven't put any money down yet, but I am damn close...not sure I can go back to "standard" ps3.

anyone else like what they see?

on a side note, Wipeout HD is KILLER!  Any doubts I had with my ps3 were gone in minutes after d/l this excellent addicting game.  Welcome back has been good to me.  Now don't let it happen again

Message 1 of 11 (18 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1199 posts

Re: uh oh...starting to like plus.

Jun 4, 2011

If you game a lot like I do, PS+ is an awesome value. My year long membership paid for itself in the first couple of months.

Sure it doesn't have everything everyone wants, but the value can not be denied. I'll re-subscribe every year.

Message 2 of 11 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1507 posts

Jun 4, 2011

LMAO..i tried to tell ya...its awsome fun,great deals and lots of extra perks too...if you love gaming,then plus is for you...     thumbnail.aspx.jpg

Old Gamers Don't Die... They Re Spawn...
Message 3 of 11 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8174 posts

Jun 4, 2011

I've posted in the past in opinion threads on PS+ the reasons why I have declined to subscribe... that said after using the service for just a short period during the 'Welcome Back' program I'm impressed.

The cloud storage for copy-protected save files is great! Though hopefully Sony expands the functions and memory allotment at some point.

Auto-updates are another fantastic feature - no more popping in a game and being stymied by a (sometimes) long game update!

Though best of all would have to be the free games selection. I downloaded the Oddworld game last night and it was such great fun playing the game all over again.

I've got a month to make up my mind which is also great.

Message 4 of 11 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
101 posts

Jun 4, 2011

I'm starting to come around to the idea.

+ has me playing Sonic 2 (again) afterall.  Wouldn't have bothered otherwise, and it's as much fun as I remember. 

Message 5 of 11 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
101 posts

Jun 4, 2011

Jag_Stilvecchio wrote:

The cloud storage for copy-protected save files is great! Though hopefully Sony expands the functions and memory allotment at some point.

jag_stilvecchio Trophy Card

agreed.  150mb seems lacking, but that space should really only be used for the important saves (copy-protected meh), and something you may want to use on the go.  I know cloud saves sound cool, but I wouldn't rely on it solely for backup needs.  The outage reminds us once again how vulnerable this stuff can really be.

Message 6 of 11 (18 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1250 posts

Jun 5, 2011

I have been 'cheering' the virtues of auto-downloads since day one; it is a gem of a feature.

I agree with your last point about the cloud service + the outage = it is a welcome feature, but you may want to keep that portable external HDD for your most important data.

Message 7 of 11 (18 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1344 posts

Jun 6, 2011

Thank god Sony included the 30 Day Trial in their Welcome Back program. I tried It out and so far, I love It. Discounts, free games, get games before everyone else, cloud saves, automatic updates, etc; I think I should get a 1 year subscription. It's expensive, but worth It.

I don't know why some people moan about the Playstation Plus Premium Service.

Message 8 of 11 (18 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1250 posts

Jun 6, 2011

In my opinion, PS+ is not that expensive, at $49.99 for a year, that is only $4.17/month.  The math was even better when you could get three free months ($3.33/month).  I started to stack, but I hope they offer some sort of one-year anniversary special with another major free game.

Could PS+ be better?  Sure, but that is another topic.  Is it worth the money?  In my opinion yes, but I enjoy picking up a discounted PSN game every 4-6 weeks.  In fact, I picked up Dungeon Hunter last night at 20% off, which is a 'savings' of $2.60, which means I am just $0.73 short of hitting my $3.33 this month.  I probably already picked up something before the service went down, but I cannot remember.

Message 9 of 11 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4884 posts

Jun 8, 2011

Plus is awesome and it will only get better. The periodic dynamic themes are worth the subscription. I just wish it had more Plus exclusive content that you can't get anywhere else and PS Home items.

Message 10 of 11 (18 Views)
0 Likes