Wastelander
680 posts

Re: u lied playstation network

Jun 14, 2013
They saw how many tens of millions of gamers were willing to pay 8-10 bucks a month for that on Xbox 360 and how much that cash flow effected Microsofts bottom line. MS sold less consoles, games and accessories this past quarter but it still made around the same amount of money thanks to all the people mindlessly paying LIVE every month. At least SCE is trying to give you real value for your money. But if they pull a Microsoft and start holding things like browser use and app use for ransom they I'll buy a Wii U so fast...
Message 111 of 118 (143 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4927 posts

Jun 14, 2013

Mystic_Gon wrote:
They saw how many tens of millions of gamers were willing to pay 8-10 bucks a month for that on Xbox 360 and how much that cash flow effected Microsofts bottom line. MS sold less consoles, games and accessories this past quarter but it still made around the same amount of money thanks to all the people mindlessly paying LIVE every month. At least SCE is trying to give you real value for your money. But if they pull a Microsoft and start holding things like browser use and app use for ransom they I'll buy a Wii U so fast...

Well just remember this conversation when you get a partial free download from psn plus and the devs see how great it is and then offer a full version for a small fee. Then your paying two fee's to play that same game. Yep that can happen. Honestly my complaint is Sony forcinf us to get psn just to play MP side of games even though we wouldn't use any of the psn service. Thats not fair.

Message 112 of 118 (137 Views)
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Jun 14, 2013
For me, I'm looking at this decision and realizing just how lucky and fortunate I am to have the PSN on the PS3 and not have to pay for it. I dont know if it's the way that the "current generation" of gamers was raised, or if it's some other cause, but so many folks just don't fully understand the idea that NOTHING in life is "free". There is always a cost to everything.

The PSN, while it's "free" for all of us to use now on the PS3 isn't free to Sony. The reason why the feature set of the current PSN is the way it is comes from the fact that there is only so much that can be done without costing Sony dearly.

With the current PS+, Sony is able to take in some income from those who subscribe and "bulk up" the feature set of the PSN. I am thinking that with their plans for the PS4 iteration of the PSN, they just simply don't have the finances to execute those plans without having a revenue stream to use.

I don't play MP gaming at all. (In fact, I actualy kind of despise MP as it tends to severely impact the SP aspects of games which is what I primarily play). However, I can understand the frustrations that others feel when they have pay $5 a month or so in order to play online. I've come to understand the reasoning for the charges to play online, as well as many of the other decisions that have been made. So it doesn't emotionally tear me apart.

When trying to understand why so many people make the ranting posts they do, I can only think of a few reasons:

1: They are indeed of a younger age and are unable to actually understand any of the reasons behind why things are the way they are. It's not really their fault as they just don't have the ability to grasp those concepts yet.

2: They have an understanding of the reasons, but they simply refuse to accept the answers and explanations and continue to think that their rants will change things.

3: They are simply forum trolls. Smiley Tongue Smiley Very Happy (Not saying everyone here is a troll, but I'd bet my left nut on the fact that some of the people making massive rants are nothing but trolls taking advantage of an opportunity).

On a side note here, I read previously in the thread someone talking about the massive cost of the PS3. The bulk of this additional cost was the fact that Blu-Ray was a "new" technology at the time, and the cost for production of the custom Cell Processor was fairly high. The subsequent decrease in console price was a combination of the lowered cost for the Blu-Ray drive, lower cost for the Cell processor, and the removal of the processors used to allow B/C. The combination of those three items helped drop the cost to what we are seeing today. I believe that the biggest cost in the PS3 at first was the Blu-Ray drive. Sony really wanted to get the Blu-Ray format to win the HD war with HD-DVD, so they were willing to take the risk in sales of the PS3 in order to win that war. It was a calculated "cost' for them, which in the long-run has worked out great.
Message 113 of 118 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
291 posts

Jun 14, 2013
Last time I checked they still making PS3. Just buy/stick With PS3.
我わくう我わこう我わじん我わ人不つるぎにてすべてのつみをかりとり悪をめつする
PSNID:BalmungTaichou
Vita owner PS4 owner(hopefully)
Message 114 of 118 (115 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Jun 14, 2013
Absolutely. I'll admit, when I was younger, paying for Xbox Live Gold wasn't really something I was interested in doing, but at the time it was because my income consisted entirely of allowances. Now that I have a job, a steady income, I realize I probably spend more on shampoo than I would for multiplayer.

I'm thinking a lot of the outcry has to be from people who don't have much in the way of income, because I sincerely cannot think of any other reason someone would balk at so low a cost. Of course, in some cases I imagine it has more to do with the reverse of what a lot of them are accusing. Even as they say 'Sony Will See How Much Money They Can Get Away With Taking From Us,' these people are basically saying 'Let's See How Much Stuff We Can Get Without Paying A Dime Through Lots Of Insistent Demands.' They're no more selfless than the company they're criticizing... considerable more selfish, actually, considering Sony's offering the service in exchange for the fee, where these people are demanding the service in exchange for nothing at all

I also can't help but notice one of the key naysayers in this thread announced he'd spend all the money Sony wanted on them if they just didn't charge for multiplayer. I'm seeing some irony there.
Message 115 of 118 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
291 posts

Jun 14, 2013
Last time I checked publishers buy/rent the servers for MP on PS not Sony. Will that change now or can we assume that PS+ fee is for critical PSN Servers only?
我わくう我わこう我わじん我わ人不つるぎにてすべてのつみをかりとり悪をめつする
PSNID:BalmungTaichou
Vita owner PS4 owner(hopefully)
Message 116 of 118 (105 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Jun 14, 2013
To my knowledge, they intend to use the fee to help improve their infrastructure and service; I'll admit, hands-down from the year I caved in and got Xbox Live Gold, that it was hands-down superior to the quality of the PSN.. But that was understandable, because it was a service that was being paid for, and supported, independently, rather than Sony absorbing the costs with the income from game sales and the like. By charging a fee, it will allow them to be more competitive in terms of the quality of their online experience, both in terms of available servers for first-person Sony titles, technical assistance, and other fields.
Message 117 of 118 (98 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Support
5922 posts

Jun 14, 2013

Hi all, 

Please share your thoughts in the main thread here:

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/OFFICIAL-E3-PlayStation-Plus-Announcement...

Thanks,

U--J

PlayStation Support Guy @ www.playstationsupportforum.com
Message 118 of 118 (79 Views)
0 Likes