MVP Support
9560 posts

Re: trophy requirement question

[ Edited ]
May 2, 2013

Just looked up Dark Arisen on the PSN Store.  Says it's a full game.  As such, Sony requires that it have its own set of Trophies, and for $40, it better have its own Platinum.

Capcom dropped the ball on this one.

Message 11 of 20 (152 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

May 2, 2013

yea they advertised it as having trophys but wouldnt comment on it until 3 days after they realeased it. all the game does is over write the original dragons dogma trophy list. so if u had dragons dogma vanilla platinumed already, then the brand new game you just bought on release day is also platinumed...least they could have done was make it seperate lists. or add like 4 for the add-on content, like fallout 3 did. i feel so robbed for buying the same exact game all over again less than a year after the vanilla version came out.

Message 12 of 20 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
74 posts

May 2, 2013

Capcom IS right, there are limits. Those aren't carved in stone though. Full games are epected to gather trophy points in the amount of ca. 1000. Plus the Platinum (worth 180 points) itself, that leads to most games being worth around 1200 points. Some bend the rules though and reach up to 1300 points, like Madden 10 for example.

But each DLC is allowed to offer trophies in the value of 300 points, so Capcom could have created Dark Arisen trophies in that value. So while there are limits, at the end it's still Capcom's failure.

Message 13 of 20 (129 Views)
PlayStation MVP
11248 posts

May 2, 2013

jcris87 wrote:

this is from a capcom employee over on the capcom unity forums, about why they didnt put any trophies into dragons dogma dark arisen. i personally think that capcom is pulling some dirty bs and jus wants to be greedy for our money, without implementing anything new on their end. 

"Hey guys, apologies for the delayed response. Been out of the country and juggling a lot of different titles. Finally received a definitive response on this though. Unfortunately the verdict on T&As isn't as you or I'd hoped. Here's the answer I've received:

"Trophies and achievements gained in Dragon's Dogma will carry over toDragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen so adding any new ones would exceed the standard amount of awards that can be received per game. Removing existing trophies and achievements to replace with new ones was not an option given the incompatibility issues with any trophies and achievements carried across in a player's save data from Dragon’s Dogma to Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen."

So more or less it's a combination of industry-wide restrictions placed on T&As (limited number of T&As per product) and technical limitations (couldn't remove existing T&As in order to implement ones reflecting DDDA's new stuff)."

i was curious about what sony has to say about that, since capcom is blaming them for not adding trophys to the 40$ dlc they just released. a 40$ dlc that lasts only 2hrs, since theres no point in doing anything extra for trophies/achievements.

I received an unofficial response on the topic. What I was told was to read between the lines. It is not a cap placed by either Sony or Microsoft.

If you look at it from past experiences with games over the last few years, all DLC has come with Trophies since Sony made them mandatory. The only exception that I know of came from Kingdoms of Amalur's DLC but Trophies were patched in.  I know of no industry wide restriction on Trophies or Achievements.

As others have said, you can look at other games to see their overall counts. Some games with DLC have trophy counts over 80, at least one with over 100. That in essence suggests a lack of a univeral cap and it's generally left up to the Developer to implement them.

Given how Capcom has handled DLC in the past, and now this, I'm even less inclined to support their games in the future. At the very least, not at full price and possibly not even new. Make your point via the wallet.

Message 14 of 20 (114 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5489 posts

[ Edited ]
May 3, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

jcris87 wrote:

thanks for the links, but what im looking for is the maximum points allowed for a game as dictated by sony. basically i jus want to see if capcom is full of **bleep** or not.

Burnout Paradise has 98 trophies between the core game and all the DLC.  Red Dead Redemption has 91.  Uncharted 3 has 105.

Each of the CoD games is over 70 and there are a lot of games that have over 60.

Needless to say, Capcom is completely full of **bleep**.

It always seemed to me that there must be a limit/goal because games with lots of trophies have mostly bronze trophies, while games with fewer trophies have more silver and gold ones.  I guess it's not clear if there's a specific limit, but if there were, I think it would be dependent on point total (value of the trophies, as mentioned in that linked thread), not number of trophies.

From what I can tell with this game, it's basically a "GotY" version, a rerelease of the game including DLC and some other extras.  It has its own trophies, they are just the same that came from the original game.  Personally I wouldn't have expected new trophies if that's the case, but I'm sure they could have treated it as a separate game with its own trophies if they wanted to (like they did with Street Fighter 4/SSF4 or Marvel vs Capcom 3/UMvC3).  It sounds to me like they were just lazy and are now making excuses.

Message 15 of 20 (87 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9560 posts

May 3, 2013

JERM7 wrote:

It always seemed to me that there must be a limit/goal because games with lots of trophies have mostly bronze trophies, while games with fewer trophies have more silver and gold ones.  I guess it's not clear if there's a specific limit, but if there were, I think it would be dependent on point total (value of the trophies, as mentioned in that linked thread), not number of trophies.

From what I can tell with this game, it's basically a "GotY" version, a rerelease of the game including DLC and some other extras.  It has its own trophies, they are just the same that came from the original game.  Personally I wouldn't have expected new trophies if that's the case, but I'm sure they could have treated it as a separate game with its own trophies if they wanted to (like they did with Street Fighter 4/SSF4 or Marvel vs Capcom 3/UMvC3).  It sounds to me like they were just lazy and are now making excuses.

Seems to me Capcom just basically stiffed the fans with DD for extra cash.

DA SHOULD have been released as a $4.99 add-on with four or five more trophies.  Instead, they played it like thieves and released another version of the SAME game with an extra hour or two of gameplay and charged the full retail price for it.

Anyone who bought the original game and then bought this one should be refunded $35 because they were straight up ripped off.

Message 16 of 20 (82 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11248 posts

[ Edited ]
May 3, 2013

JERM7 wrote:

Dark Arisen was never released as a stand alone DLC package. So to call Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen a "GotY" version would be mislabeling. From my own experience with GotY editions, those games come with the previously released DLC packs, each of which have their own Trophy lists, so you end up with one large list. This doesn't fall into that category. Dark Arisen adds new content but without the Trophies.

Not an issue for me, as I am not a Trophy gamer, but for those who are, I can understand why it's a bit of a mood killer.

Message 17 of 20 (78 Views)
MVP Support
9560 posts

May 3, 2013

PapaWarlock wrote:

Not an issue for me, as I am not a Trophy gamer, but for those who are, I can understand why it's a bit of a mood killer.

Paying $40 for a game you already own just for the DLC though?  That goes way, way beyond 'mood killer'.  It is straight up criminal.

Message 18 of 20 (74 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

[ Edited ]
May 4, 2013

check out what a capcom employee is trying to say on the capcom forum. the employee is GregaMan. 

http://www.capcom-unity.com/dragonsdogma/go/thread/view/122057/29875649/achievementstrophys?pg=11

But basically, he said its like SSF4:AE, only without the download or added trophies..and its not compatible with any of the previousdlc you payed for. also, he stated that DD vanilla and DD : DA have the EXACT SAME TITLE ID.

Message 19 of 20 (58 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11241 posts

May 4, 2013
Capcom is always full of **bleep**. Smiley Wink

Message 20 of 20 (42 Views)
0 Likes