Treasure Hunter
5476 posts

Re: they need a dual boot like wiiu

Jun 16, 2013

PunkWannaB wrote:

Actually, if makin backwards-compatible hardware is not an option for the PS4, they should make dual boot media! Like having a PS3 AND PS4 version of a game on ONE disk. ONE disk that can play on either platform. That way, you can still get use out of your PS3, and when you're ready for a PS4, you still have the same game that will play on it! Each BluRay disk should hold 50gigs of data. I think this is a possibility. I remember they used to sell Microsoft Office to both Macs and IBM compatible computers. They would format ONE disk to play (or load) on either system. Something to think about.......

Unless you're not planning on buying a PS4, this strategy makes no sense.  There are five months between now and the release of the PS4 - that's 150 days (give or take, given that we don't know the release date).

You would have to build (and rebuild) games in a completely different programming language.  It's not as simple as flipping a switch, you know. That would double development time and budgets.

I'm not willing to pay more for games that I have waited longer for because you can't be bothered to turn on your PS3 to play PS3 games, or wait 150 days to play PS4 games.

Seriously, think it through.  Sony has told us what the solution is with Gaikai.  I know we're all a little gunshy because there are no details on cost or functionality, but it's probably the most cost effective solution for everyone on both sides of the consumer fence.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 11 of 14 (61 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jun 19, 2013

Thats what I'm saying. I'm NOT buying a PS4, since they only have a 5 game library and NO backwards compatibility.

Its like what the movie industry did when they released Blu Ray movies. Some of these movies came with an additional DVD disk of the same movie, so they could play that movies on their aging DVD players and play the Blu Ray disk on a Blu Ray player. Actually, its pretty cool that Blu Ray players can play DVD disks. DVD player owners were buying Blu Ray movies (with DVD copies) BEFORE they committed to buying a Blu Ray player. THEN, when they finally got the Blu Ray Player, they had stockpiled a library of movies to already play.

I'm just saying put both versions (PS3 and PS4) of a game on ONE disk. Its a 50 gig BluRay disk I'm sure it can hold a typical 8 gig PS3 version of a game as well as what.....a 20 gig PS4 version of the same game.

This idea assumes that a gamer is more excited about ......uhhhh.... a new game, and not new hardware (with a 5 game library). A backwards compatible PS4 WOULD render the PS3 obsolete, but it would also give the PS4 a 1500 game library. A dual disk PS3/PS4 game at  least gets the game out to both systems.

Its really all about the games in the end, right?

Message 12 of 14 (52 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5153 posts

Jun 20, 2013

PunkWannaB wrote:

Thats what I'm saying. I'm NOT buying a PS4, since they only have a 5 game library and NO backwards compatibility.

Its like what the movie industry did when they released Blu Ray movies. Some of these movies came with an additional DVD disk of the same movie, so they could play that movies on their aging DVD players and play the Blu Ray disk on a Blu Ray player. Actually, its pretty cool that Blu Ray players can play DVD disks. DVD player owners were buying Blu Ray movies (with DVD copies) BEFORE they committed to buying a Blu Ray player. THEN, when they finally got the Blu Ray Player, they had stockpiled a library of movies to already play.

I'm just saying put both versions (PS3 and PS4) of a game on ONE disk. Its a 50 gig BluRay disk I'm sure it can hold a typical 8 gig PS3 version of a game as well as what.....a 20 gig PS4 version of the same game.

This idea assumes that a gamer is more excited about ......uhhhh.... a new game, and not new hardware (with a 5 game library). A backwards compatible PS4 WOULD render the PS3 obsolete, but it would also give the PS4 a 1500 game library. A dual disk PS3/PS4 game at  least gets the game out to both systems.

Its really all about the games in the end, right?

This is not as simple as burning a movie to dvd or blu ray. They would literally be building two games. PS3 games are built for PS3. PS4 games are built for PS4. 

Consumer Services and Technical Support 1-800-345-7669
Mon - Fri, 8:00AM - 8:00PM PST

Live Chat
I don't work for Sony. Just a gamer helping others.
Message 13 of 14 (42 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
123 posts

Jun 20, 2013

It would be cool i guess, but I kinda laughed outloud when I first booted up Wii mode on my WiiU, it was dumb. Either way i'm keeping my PS3.

----------------------------------------------------------
Joshua Mobley: Internet Media Guy / Comic Book Writer / Podcast & Show Host / Founder of VGU.TV & Rocket Man Publishing LLC

Tumblr Blog: "Josh Likes Games." | Twitter
Message 14 of 14 (39 Views)
0 Likes