Uncharted Territory
2070 posts

Re: thermal paste question

Jan 9, 2011

Like everyone has posted with the exception of one AS 5 does a very good job. If you don't mind searching through a link you can find out about some test results on various thermal paste. Here is the link to the site that I used.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Message 11 of 32 (145 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Jan 9, 2011

jmm49, I don't think your link works. I dug up an article that I used from that site. There are many other compounds that don't require a cure time, but AS5 will do the trick. Don't pay more than you would for another compound on the list though.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=150&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitsta...

Message 12 of 32 (145 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5654 posts

Jan 10, 2011

Extorting wrote:

manofchao5 wrote:

Extorting wrote:

Reflow, backup, deactivate, trade in towards new one. Nuff' said

Photobucket

dude, dont even post if you're not going to bother reading my damn question

nuff said my ***, the purpose of forums is to help other people out not act like you're god or something

umad? Just trying to save you some money and heartache but whatever

i know people with teh supplies to reflow chips and free paste lying around and my dad knows how to reflow without screwing up the chip more

Message 13 of 32 (145 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5654 posts

Jan 10, 2011

potatobreath wrote:

jmm49, I don't think your link works. I dug up an article that I used from that site. There are many other compounds that don't require a cure time, but AS5 will do the trick. Don't pay more than you would for another compound on the list though.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=150&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitsta...

i know that from what other sites have said, regular silicone paste only lasts so long before its not very effective

so i guess in like 6-12months i'll take apart again and clean and put on fresh AS5, i dont wanna do now and just waste more time when the other paste is working great right now

Message 14 of 32 (145 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
220 posts

Jan 10, 2011

Wouldn't it be better if you can reball it instead of reflow? Since reflow is a temporary fix and the ylod will still return.

Message 15 of 32 (145 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5654 posts

Jan 10, 2011

a reball is a much more sophisticated method of fixing, maybe someday like 1 or 2 from now

Wandererster wrote:

Wouldn't it be better if you can reball it instead of reflow? Since reflow is a temporary fix and the ylod will still return.

but i dont have time to do that now, college and other stuff

i have time to game, i only had tiem to fix becasue of winter break

i was thinking of finding a way to get a custom heatsink made and use liquid cooling instead of simple airflow

Message 16 of 32 (145 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
71 posts

Jan 10, 2011

Hi,

Well Good Thermal paste does contribute to better cooling if you like can try out IC7 (innovation cooling LLC).

To tell you the truth, there is no need to do water cooling and very over aggregated stuffs for PS3.

PS3 (older generations) tends to have soldering issues, there are few factors, the heat, lead-free solder used and the technologies.

If you want to retain your current phat PS3, the best option is get it re-balled and request for lead solder which is longer lasting but harmful to environment.

Reflow doesn't really help much and might damage your PS3 accidently if you are not cautious enough.

Actually, in my stand, I would suggest you to backup everything and go for the newer slim.

Reasons supporting…

Lower power consumption

Less heat due to smaller 40nm Nano fabrications

Smaller in size

But you lose Backward Compatibility for PS2 but that is if you even use it

4 USB ports but you can buy a multi USB port expander

Card reader if you need….else everything it does in slim is greener.

Final Fantasy XIII Lighting Edition PS3
Message 17 of 32 (145 Views)
Lombax Warrior
256 posts

Jan 10, 2011

What you used is good. I've used it before on ps3 and my computer CPU. I switched to AS on a rebuild and there was no difference. Never done a break in period either.

Message 18 of 32 (145 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5654 posts

Jan 11, 2011

@n3w

i would do water cooling cause my ps3 heats the room way too much and i wouldnt mind the extra space it takes up to make it run nice

as for a new ps3, if i came to that road, i'd much rather have the phat 65nm ps3's they still use a bit more power than slims

but they are slightly slim processors but with crazy big cases and my friend has one and they put out crazy cool air with the fans on lightly which i want if i got another ps3 but i might get slim because for all i know someone else traded in to screw gamestop cause their's broke

Message 19 of 32 (145 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
71 posts

Jan 11, 2011

Haha sure thing even as we are discussing it now, it is just not only having the processor die shrunk!! The motherboard design has also been refined which is to reduce system inefficiency which will contribute to less heat produce as well.

If you ever enter the water cooling department do post here, I am quite interested. It is going to be custom made and a big blow into your wallet ^^ but if it really helps OMG this is going to be lovely, I understand the heat in the room and coming from a country near the equator…. I think my room is being OVEN most of the time.

Final Fantasy XIII Lighting Edition PS3
Message 20 of 32 (145 Views)
0 Likes