Jan 07 2011
By: manofchao5 Treasure Hunter 5654 posts
Accepted Solution

thermal paste question

31 replies 819 views Edited Jan 7, 2011

almost 3 years since i bought which would be 13 of january

any how the console itself was 3 1/2 years old counting manufacturing date and it just got a reflow and repaste

i had to use a silicone based paste from radioshack, if anyone knows this will be a problem thx cause its all i had on me though i wouldnt mind some artic silver 5 or something better, i dont care if its not as good, but if it'll adversely affect my system feel free to tell me

also if its good, whats the exact break in period for the thermal paste, i know it should be light 1-2 hour play for a while but for exactly how long, cause i love to game like hell but dont want it to be costly in long wrong

thanks for your time guys

Message 1 of 32 (819 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1847 posts

Re: thermal paste question

Jan 7, 2011

manofchao5 wrote:

any how the console itself was 3 1/2 years old counting manufacturing date and it just got a reflow and repaste

i had to use a silicone based paste from radioshack, if anyone knows this will be a problem thx cause its all i had on me though i wouldnt mind some artic silver 5 or something better, i dont care if its not as good, but if it'll adversely affect my system feel free to tell me

also if its good, whats the exact break in period for the thermal paste, i know it should be light 1-2 hour play for a while but for exactly how long, cause i love to game like hell but dont want it to be costly in long wrong

you shouldnt of went with silicone based, the stuff is basicly like glue, you should of went with arctic silver ceramique, as5 is good but it has conductive properties so it could in a sense fry something if it were to make contact in the wrong place. all i can say is good luck prying that board off the heatsink.

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars
Message 2 of 32 (819 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
595 posts

Jan 7, 2011

Reflow, backup, deactivate, trade in towards new one. Nuff' said

Message 3 of 32 (819 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Jan 8, 2011

The only worry about the ceramic paste is that it dries out, but it should still work even when dried. Don't over apply. If it bothers you, then try a different thermal compound from a computer store. There's better stuff than Arctic Silver 5 that do not need break-in periods. I use OCZ Freeze, but there are other compounds just as good at the local computer store.

Message 4 of 32 (819 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5654 posts

Jan 8, 2011

Extorting wrote:

Photobucket

dude, dont even post if you're not going to bother reading my damn question

nuff said my ass, the purpose of forums is to help other people out not act like you're god or something

Message 5 of 32 (819 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5654 posts

Jan 8, 2011

thx to you other two, but question to you specifically

manofchao5 wrote:

i had to use a silicone based paste  from radioshack, if anyone knows this will be a problem thx cause its  all i had on me though i wouldnt mind some artic silver 5 or something  better, i dont care if its not as good, but if it'll adversely affect my  system feel free to tell me

also  if its good, whats the exact break in period for the thermal paste, i  know it should be light 1-2 hour play for a while but for exactly how  long, cause i love to game like hell but dont want it to be costly in  long wrong

you  shouldnt of went with silicone based, the stuff is basicly like glue,  you should of went with arctic silver ceramique, as5 is good but it has  conductive properties so it could in a sense fry something if it were to  make contact in the wrong place. all i can say is good luck prying that  board off the heatsink.

ok, thanks for the warning about it being like glue, but does conduct heat well, i dont mind if it sticks like hell, just as long as the the thermal bond is good enough that it will keep my ps3 running on the same paste for like another year or two before i need to replace

Message 6 of 32 (819 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5654 posts

Jan 8, 2011

potatobreath wrote:

The only worry about the ceramic paste is that it dries out, but it should still work even when dried. Don't over apply. If it bothers you, then try a different thermal compound from a computer store. There's better stuff than Arctic Silver 5 that do not need break-in periods. I use OCZ Freeze, but there are other compounds just as good at the local computer store.

i would have done, but i havent before so i let my dad do it and he evenly spread a nice thin layer across both, cleaned off slight excess that fell on sides, and when i put on heat sink it didnt like really squeeze any excess out on the nvidia which looked like a bit more than the cell be so i figure he put on just the right amount for both

so far it has turned on but i havent really gotten around to using yet, i might tomorrow but any idea what the break in period is for it

i was just gonnna use like 1-2 hours max then 1-2 hour break between each use each day for like 2 weeks persay

Message 7 of 32 (819 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
178 posts

Jan 8, 2011

It depends on which thermal paste u use...AS5 has 50-200 hrs of break in time....others like OCZ diamond just a few hrs...look on the various web sites for this info....or just call the companies that manufacture them...

"By the data to date, there is only one animal in the Galaxy dangerous to man -- man himself. So he must supply his own indispensable competition. He has no enemy to help him. "
Message 8 of 32 (819 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5832 posts

Jan 8, 2011

potatobreath wrote:

Yeah AC5 does have a pretty long break in period. I hav seen my temps drop several degrees since I first applied the compound.  I think they say it's around 200 hours of normal use.

Message 9 of 32 (819 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
595 posts

Jan 9, 2011

manofchao5 wrote:

Extorting wrote:

Photobucket

dude, dont even post if you're not going to bother reading my damn question

nuff said my ***, the purpose of forums is to help other people out not act like you're god or something

umad? Just trying to save you some money and heartache but whatever

Message 10 of 32 (819 Views)
0 Likes