PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: the low down on thermal paste...

Apr 25, 2012

The only reason I said that was that all fat PS3 models seem to have YLOD issues, and those processors went down to 65nm. The PS3 Slims appear to be far more resistant to getting the YLOD in its unmodified form...

Message 21 of 27 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Apr 25, 2012

the fats just have been around much longer and im sure they do run hotter but the slims are doing it also and the problems with them seem like they are going to pass up the fats but they seem to have junky drives as their major issue..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 22 of 27 (14 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Apr 25, 2012

IMO I would rather have a problematic drive, that I can fix itself, rather than a YLOD issue where I have to send it off to properly repair...

Message 23 of 27 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Apr 25, 2012

oh they get ylod as well,the shop i frequent for parts sees them all the time just like the fats.but no where as close to the 360's they see..lol

Message 24 of 27 (14 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Apr 25, 2012

I know the PS3 Slims get YLOD too, but I think that Sony has addressed the problem why it was happening so often on the older models, by shrinking the chip size down, so it doesn't generate ats much heat. Becasue of this they are probably far more reliable than the fats...

Message 25 of 27 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Apr 25, 2012

kythunder wrote:

there really isn't much of a difference in heat between the 45nm and 65nm(tests have shown only about a 2-3 degree celsius difference)but these tests are done on pc units so the ps3 may differ some but it cant be much different but the 90nm will fry bacon..lol

Are the same heatsinks being used on both processors tested? Are the fans running at the same fixed speed when these temperature measurements were taken?

Usually a finer process means less power is consumed and wasted as heat. The system builder can set the target cooling system temperature at the same level, but the fans can run slower to provide the needed cooling. A finer process also produces smaller dies, and the smaller, lighter chip package may reduce risk of solder stress cracks from heating/cooling cycles. The chips and cooling system are cheaper to make too.

Message 26 of 27 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Apr 25, 2012

all i can really confirm is i have 2 computers with basically the same cpu@2.8 ghz and one is 65nm and the other is 45nm and they both have the exact same heatsinks and same fans running off 12 volts and the 45nm runs on average 8 degrees F.cooler  running the same app with the same processes running in the background and many others have did these tests as well with even closer results at overclockers.net..but theres many other variables to be considered but overall theres not that big of a difference between the 2..

Message 27 of 27 (14 Views)
0 Likes