Lombax Warrior
147 posts

Re: solution to consoles falling behind

Aug 26, 2013
revenue from platform sales would not be enough to cover the cost of parts and labor. Not to mention that they would have to give all of those who did opt for the upgrade a new 1 year warranty, I the case of the PS4 I do predict that they will have less hardware errors than the PS3 did, yet some may arise. System internal software updates usually cover some of the communities wories about the gap between the PC and the systems. Look at the sheer number of parts and and how quickly the technology advances for the PC, eventually even the tech we use now will plateau out in a fey years and we'll have even more advanced tech that is already being developed today. For example cars made in 2013 were already created in 2008, because R&D phases and safety regulations as well as general testing it is safe to say that about halfway through the PS3's lifespan the PS4 was in the R&D phase, then came the regulations to spec out any problems that could cause any significant damage (makin sure it wont explode). I could give you a real life example of a project that I worked on some years ago and was only given approval in 2007 to actually market our product.

In retrospect even if they wanted to do what you have suggested they would have had to come up with that Idea 2 years after the Inception of the PS4.

Great Idea but hardly implementable in reality.
I would love to work for any gaming company but I believe that I lack the necessary requirements for hire. Well **** that im gonna buy everything I need to make a videogame myself. It may take me years but I will become a top industry game dev.
Message 11 of 31 (189 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
342 posts

Aug 26, 2013

Doppelgangergang wrote:

Bluenite0100 wrote:

As we all know PC is the master race and in 2 years will be pulling away from the PS4

And we know that the PC makes developers lazy, relying on regular hardware upgrades to run their bloated, buggy games rather than sitting down and optimizing the games to make it run better on capable current hardware.

I'm looking at you, Bethesda.

Exactly

Even the Devs from Planetside2 even admitted that porting to the PS4 isn't as easy as it sounds do to them not utilizing CPU architecture properly and now have to reprogram it to run on multiple cores LIKE IT SHOULD HAVE FROM THE START!

Consoles forcing devs to make games correctly 

Message 12 of 31 (184 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8174 posts

Aug 27, 2013

I'm a console and PC gamer and they each have their merits. 

For certain if bleeding edge graphics are your thing then yes, go for a PC. Similarly if you like the feel of a keyboard/mouse go for it. 

Consoles offer a lot of benefits too:

• Cheaper (no expensive hardware mods needed to play the next big game)
  • Across the board standardization = games are generally optimized for the hardware
  • Less hacking/cheating; anyone who's played a game that has players using aimbots knows this

That said releasing optional hardware mods for a console would be a disaster. For one it would instantly fragment the user base into those w/ mods & those without destroying one of the major benefits of console gaming. Second it would make development of games more difficult as know you have more variances of hardware to develop and test for.

Each has its place and can peacefully coexist. 

Message 13 of 31 (165 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3578 posts

Aug 27, 2013
If this were to happen I don't think there would be a point in buying a console, might as well buy a pc or build your own with that cost.
Message 14 of 31 (163 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
122 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 28, 2013

Doppelgangergang wrote:

Bluenite0100 wrote:

As we all know PC is the master race and in 2 years will be pulling away from the PS4

And we know that the PC makes developers lazy, relying on regular hardware upgrades to run their bloated, buggy games rather than sitting down and optimizing the games to make it run better on capable current hardware.

I'm looking at you, Bethesda.

HAHA.  Man so true!  You might want to add Ubi Soft to that list as well.  I swear they "claim" to support PC but **bleep** their games always seem to be a low quality console port with a crap ton of bugs.  The new Splinter Cell I hear is nearly unplayable even after the 1.1 patch. Just sad really

Message 15 of 31 (146 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2362 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 28, 2013

You have no clue what you are talking about. PC makes developers lazy? LMAO, PC with OS processes, different hardware, different drivers is infinitely harder to code for, if anything it's the opposite.  The platform jhas zero to do with making devel0pers lazy. Each platform needs to be tackled differently.

There is a reason a PC with the same specs as a PS3 won't run games near as good as one. PC is way harder to code for, but is a lot more powerfull if you have fairly modern hardware.

Console has closed hardware making it easier for devs to take advantage of all the hardware.

PC is already ahead os PS4 and x1, it will always be that way. Consoles are for convenience, ease of use, cheaper. PC is an all purpose machine, that is more expensive but not as expensive as some make them out to be, especially if you buy the parts yourself.

Message 16 of 31 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1873 posts

Aug 28, 2013

You must not understand the point of a console then. A console is designed for having one set of hard and having that pushed to it's limit.  It is not designed to have customization because this makes it difficult for developers.  Consoles do not need powerfull up to date hardware Because, they do not have the extra computing resources.  Having an option would be a HORRIBLE decision for a console.  This is because not everyone would constantly upgrade and developers would have even a harder time to try and scale the games.  Nintendo tried something simialar way back with the N64 and that failed miserably

PSN: Deadly_Rabbit123
XBL: BruteForce94

Proud Owner of Xbox One and PS4
Message 17 of 31 (135 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Sep 5, 2013
this is not my only account, I got this account for PS4 so all my accounts accross everything are the same, and i havent played much on this account for ps3
Message 18 of 31 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14228 posts

Sep 5, 2013

Actually.. Consoles don't fall behind when it comes to games.

We just hold back PC users.

I don't really care though, They cry about it, and their complaints are about Graphics and things as stupid as a moving flag.

They are missing the point of gaming. Gameplay > all other aspects.

Message 19 of 31 (105 Views)
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Sep 5, 2013

Consoles aren't meant to be like that though. Plus, consoles will always fall behind PC's since PC's always upgrade while consoles use the same exact hardware for 5+ years.

Message 20 of 31 (104 Views)
0 Likes