First Son
15 posts

Re: should we pay to play online I want your feedback

Jul 30, 2013

uh--oh wrote:

slipknot1979 wrote:

I guess that all depends on whether on not you want to play online mp.  If you don't, then don't pay for it, if you do then pay for it.  It couldn't possibly be any more simple than that.  The excuse of having had it for free all this time so why should you pay for it now doesn't hold any water.  That's like saying, "Well I've lived at home for free since I was born, so it's unfair now that I'm 30 and still living at home that my parents want to charge me rent."  No amount of complaining is going to change the fact that server maintenance, upgrading, and expansion all cost money and even though Sony is a huge corporation, they can't fiscally afford to continue to pay for it out of pocket.  

Really ? How is it there is hardly no cost for running the psn network and downloads that Sony made huge profits off of them? Yet how is it that none of that money improved the service for the ps3? Or for that matter be used to carry the cost for this new network for the ps4? The facts are sony should keep it free for online and use the profits from the psn network and downloads. There is no over head unlike the cost of making a disk and such. So try again please....

When is the last time you saw a free server that would be capable of handling something as extensive as the psn, if you find one be sure and ask if you can have a few million of them for free.  Also while you're at it, see if they have a few thousand people with the expertise required to run such network for free.  Then you can go to all of the individual companies that are putting their games on the psn for download and inform them that you will no longer give them any of the profits form selling their games on your service because even though you had nothing to do with making them or paying the staff that made them, you need the money to run the online service.  Sounds kind of ridiculous to me.

Message 61 of 480 (177 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
14477 posts

Re: should we pay to play online i want your feedback

Jul 30, 2013

If paying to play mulyiplayer games to keep the PSN servers healthy and running and get something of value, it's worth subscribing to PS+. But it's totally optional and no one's forcing you to spend your money.

forumsignature1.png
Playstation Telephone Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00am-8:00pm PST (Closed on Saturdays & Sundays)
Customer Service - 1-800-345-7669
Account and Billing Support - 1-877-971-7669
Sony Rewards - 1-888-715-7669
Message 62 of 480 (222 Views)
MVP Support
5840 posts

Jul 30, 2013
@slipknot
Increasing the price of games with multiplayer screws over the people who them for single player. There are very few accessories that are only for multiplayer.
Consumer Services and Technical Support 1-800-345-7669
Mon - Fri, 8:00AM - 8:00PM PST

Live Chat
I don't work for Sony. Just a gamer helping others.
Message 63 of 480 (221 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5840 posts

Jul 30, 2013
Sorry for the double post.

Everyone keeps saying "if they charge now, how much will it be in few years".

Xbox Live was $50 when the 360 launched, and has only increases by $10 despite adding many new features and applications.
Consumer Services and Technical Support 1-800-345-7669
Mon - Fri, 8:00AM - 8:00PM PST

Live Chat
I don't work for Sony. Just a gamer helping others.
Message 64 of 480 (216 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11603 posts

Jul 30, 2013

uh--oh wrote:
Thats a total BS answer.... How is it Sony made millions off of the psn network and downloads of which none went back to the gamers. More profit went towards shareholders on the ps3????????????????????????????????????????????????????

You realize it costs money to make games, right?  The average AAA title has a budget of something like $57,000,000.  The average Indie PSN title has a budget of around $300,000.  Where do you think the money comes from to pay for that?

The money you currently spend on the PSN to buy games goes back into making more games.  A game just doesn't 'appear' on the PSN to purchase.  Games have to be CREATED by studios and production companies.  Would you work at McDonald's flipping burgers for free?  Of course not.  Creating games for you to buy and play is a job that someone gets paid for.  In the case of most games, that involves MANY people getting paid.  Plus rent and utilities and other expenses for the building that houses the game studio...

Yes, Sony gets a cut of everything sold on the PSN, as well, but they turn around and throw the money they make at more developers to create more games for the PSN.  People are complaining because there aren't enough PS1/2 classics available from the store...  those games also cost money to recode for the PS3.  HD Collections?  Cost money to produce.

So...  money made on games...  goes toward making more games.

Money made in Home...  goes toward keeping Home running...

Money made from 'Online Passes'...  goes back to the developers of the games the pass is for (to make up for the loss of a game sale)...

You want to give it another go, or are we done here?

Message 65 of 480 (202 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5421 posts

Jul 30, 2013

So basically we have a certain amount of people on here who cry about how bad the PSN (apparently) is, but yet these same people don't want to pay less than $5/month to improve it. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

semajmarc87
My YouTube | My Twitter
230+ Subscribers | 1,500+ Followers
Message 66 of 480 (201 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1115 posts

Jul 30, 2013

MMMMMMMmmmmm Cake!

1006p78-slice-cake-l.jpg

Message 67 of 480 (195 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11603 posts

Jul 30, 2013

Just imagine if Sony didn't have to cover the costs for online Multiplayer for the past 15+ years.

There might be enough money to throw at developers for MORE exclusive games and DLC instead of those things going to M$, because they had the foresight to charge for online play for the past 15+ years and had the money to do so...

Just a thought...

Message 68 of 480 (187 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Re: Ps4. have to pay to play online **bleep**!

Jul 30, 2013

tired and beyond stupid? your mising the point we buy the game lets say call of duty for example  but we can not play it online unless we have psp ( play station plus)  so in relality you only get part of the game you payed 50 60 70 or 80 bucks for. because in order to play online you need psp. makes the games replay value go down a lot.. and to tell the truth this was just a statment for sony not for you and the fact you said that is just stupid. i mean if you are going to waste your time to reply at least say something worth saying.

Message 69 of 480 (198 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jul 30, 2013
I somewhat expected this to happen at some point. Eventually it was going to cost to play online.

I don't think it's a great idea. Having online gaming free was a big difference between Playstation and Xbox. For a lot of people including myself, free online gaming was the deciding factor when choosing a console.

With both Sony and Microsoft both charging for online play, and both of the consoles being quite similar, it will come down to the games in deciding which console to run with. Exclusives will play a big role in choosing a console.
Message 70 of 480 (185 Views)