Highlighted
Nov 09 2012
By: AwesomeShockWave Hekseville Citizen 258 posts

should sony sell parts for the costumers?

15 replies 230 views Edited Nov 9, 2012

Things can break. And as costumers, we want to be able to buy parts and fix it ourself. Why should we only have the option of sending it to sony for repairs? I think sony should have list all parts in the manual. So when a certain parts breaks or stop working, we can look at the maual and see what part number we need. A lot of company offers parts diagram with parts number. I think sony should do that too. Ebay does sell some parts, but they are used or as-is. As a costumer, i want to be able to buy new parts, so i know they are 100% working order.

Message 1 of 16 (230 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10300 posts

Re: should sony sell parts for the costumers?

[ Edited ]
Nov 9, 2012

thats kind of the point of a console, its so that people dont need to tinker with individual parts

and what i think you're looking for is called these new fangled contraptions called a "PC"

Message 2 of 16 (228 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7984 posts

Nov 9, 2012

There are plenty of resellers for parts out there.

Ebay, ximpicube, brainydeal, richspsxpart.com, even new egg has blu ray drives sometimes.  Some sites do carry a return policy.

Sony could always sell parts but with the numerous resellers out there they probably couldn't compete with the prices.

The parts in a PS3 are directly related to their model number CECH X X X X X whether it's a CEHCA01 (60GB released in 2006) or a CECH-3001B (320GB released in July 2011). Any of those model numbers will lead you to the parts you need, wireless cards, blu ray drives, fans, ect.

I always just search the model number with the part I need. I have yet to find anything IMPOSSIBLE to find and most parts are well below what a new system costs.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd73/rseverclear/Lightemuprsteele2.png

Message 3 of 16 (221 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
258 posts

Nov 9, 2012

Absinthetic wrote:

thats kind of the point of a console, its so that people dont need to tinker with individual parts

and what i think you're looking for is called these new fangled contraptions called a "PC"

How many ps3 do you think that still have the warranty sticker on? Very few, thats cause tons of ppl try to fix their ps3 by opening it.

Not only PC offers parts. Other stuff offers individual parts. Example, crosman offers parts for their airgun. If a part inside the gun breaks, you can look up the part number and give them a call and they send out new replacement parts.

rsteele wrote:

Ebay, ximpicube, brainydeal, richspsxpart.com, even new egg has blu ray drives sometimes.  Some sites do carry a return policy.

Sony could always sell parts but with the numerous resellers out there they probably couldn't compete with the prices.

The parts in a PS3 are directly related to their model number CECH X X X X X whether it's a CEHCA01 (60GB released in 2006) or a CECH-3001B (320GB released in July 2011). Any of those model numbers will lead you to the parts you need, wireless cards, blu ray drives, fans, ect.

I always just search the model number with the part I need. I have yet to find anything IMPOSSIBLE to find and most parts are well below what a new system costs.

I havent check out those other site, but i have look at ebay tons of times for ps3 parts. If you think theres no impossible parts to find, can you help me look for a new ps3 fat housing? Or a new 60gb motherboard? Also they must be OEM not 3rd party stuff. When said new, i mean brand new factory seal. Never been used.

Message 4 of 16 (209 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Nov 9, 2012

AwesomeShockWave wrote:

Absinthetic wrote:

How many ps3 do you think that still have the warranty sticker on? Very few, thats cause tons of ppl try to fix their ps3 by opening it.

Not only PC offers parts. Other stuff offers individual parts. Example, crosman offers parts for their airgun. If a part inside the gun breaks, you can look up the part number and give them a call and they send out new replacement parts.
Thats because a PC is not a uniformed platform..... a console is a sum of its parts and needs to stay the same over a supported life cycle. A PC is constantly being outdated DAILY and for people who are hardcore PC people or NEED to adapt to ever changing technologies, they have the freedom to do so. This is why consoles will ALWAYS be cheaper than a PC.

rsteele wrote:

I havent check out those other site, but i have look at ebay tons of times for ps3 parts. If you think theres no impossible parts to find, can you help me look for a new ps3 fat housing? Or a new 60gb motherboard? Also they must be OEM not 3rd party stuff. When said new, i mean brand new factory seal. Never been used.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 5 of 16 (199 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10300 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 9, 2012

AwesomeShockWave wrote:

actually, I would bet almost all ps3's bought still have their stickers on them, within or without the warranty period simply because of the point I made earlier.......console buyers tend to be those who specifically do not want to mess around with parts

the percentage of DIY fixers are in the minority

Message 6 of 16 (191 Views)
VP of Gaming
28837 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 10, 2012

Isn't this part of the problem? You have "gamers" and techies cracking open their consoles, convinced they know what they're doing, and then rushing here screaming "OMG! MY PS3 DUZNT WURK! PLZ HLP!!". Why sell parts, which would take on added expense and liability, and encourage this behavior. 

I know it pains some to reconsile themselves to this idea, but there are times where you actually DO NOT know what you are doing, and it's best to leave well enough alone. 

Message 7 of 16 (181 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
258 posts

Nov 10, 2012

Absinthetic wrote:

AwesomeShockWave wrote:

actually, I would bet almost all ps3's bought still have their stickers on them, within or without the warranty period simply because of the point I made earlier.......console buyers tend to be those who specifically do not want to mess around with parts

almost all ps3 brought still have their stickers on? lol. sure they do. Only systems that still have the stickers would be the ones within the 1 year warranty. If its out of warranty, people tend to take it apart thinking they can fix it, even if they dont know what the h*ll they doing.

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Isn't this part of the problem? You have "gamers" and techies cracking open their consoles, convinced they know what they're doing, and then rushing here screaming "OMG! MY PS3 DUZNT WURK! PLZ HLP!!". Why sell parts, which would take on added expense and liability, and encourage this behavior. 

I know it pains some to reconsile themselves to this idea, but there are times where you actually DO NOT know what you are doing, and it's best to leave well enough alone. 

Why do you think gamers would opens their system in the first place? Cause its broken and they trying to fix it. If a gamer opens it while its still working and then breaks it, its owners fault. Once the sticker is remove, sony isnt held responsible for it.

Once you open the ps3 and take it apart, its pretty simple to put it back together, even for noobs. I've taken my system apart to fix the ylod many times, and always able to put it back and working. Im just suggesting sony sell replacement parts, cause sometime things breaks and we need the replace parts instead of sending it to sony or buying a whole new system. I know other site sells replacement parts, but like i said, those are either 3rd party stuff or used and broken. I would love to see some new ps3 60-80GB motherboard on sell, cause i know many ppl needs them.

Message 8 of 16 (170 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8180 posts

Nov 10, 2012

CaptainAlbator wrote:

This.

I have been on two technical forums and they attract a number of people who are convinced that reading a worklog or seeing a few pictures or watching a youtube video instantly grants them the ability to take apart stuff and put them together with no mistakes.

Spoiler Alert: It doesn't, and results in many threads of begging for help.

Message 9 of 16 (162 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
10300 posts

Nov 11, 2012

AwesomeShockWave wrote:

Absinthetic wrote:

AwesomeShockWave wrote:

almost all ps3 brought still have their stickers on? lol. sure they do. Only systems that still have the stickers would be the ones within the 1 year warranty. If its out of warranty, people tend to take it apart thinking they can fix it, even if they dont know what the h*ll they doing.

yes.  did you not read my post? by virtue of the fact that consol buyers tend to be poepl who dont want to tinker with parts if you want to tinker with your system, there are many third party places that sell parts like modchipcentral you can buy parts from.

Sony doesnt need to carter to them because they are such a minority that it wont be financially beneficial to them since already provide a repair service

Message 10 of 16 (144 Views)
0 Likes