Reply
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
28682 posts
 

Re: should DLC be free?

[ Edited ]
Mar 22, 2013

alamarco2 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Here's the thing though, you have the choice NOT to buy it. If you're unhappy with what's being offered, then as the saying goes, vote with your wallet.


Except when the content used to be included within the game free, you are going to say that's fair? We are paying more for the game itself as game prices have gone up and we are getting less content. That's fair? It's frustrating to say the least to pay as much as we do and get nothing in terms of content as it's all DLC.

(There's no law against what they are doing. You know why some companies do it? Because they know you'll trip over yourself to buy it. Guess what happens if you don't buy it? They won't do it anymore. If you buy it anyway, you have no business complaining.)

 

It used to be in a fighting game you would get a ton of different costumes included in the game. Usually you would unlock the full costume list by completing objectives in the game. Now you get a couple included in the game and the rest you have to pay for.

(And games never had online play, patches, or servers to maintain. Support has now gone from ZERO to YEARS. Do you think all of that just happens by itself? It takes time, resources, money and PEOPLE to do the work to keep games going. I know that the popular gamer belief is that things just appear from a cloud of smoke, however someone has to do all the work to bring you these things. That's the disconnect between the gamer cognoscenti and a little something I like to call "reality")

 

And that's just fighting games. Like I said, while we can vote with our wallet, it doesn't help when most people end up paying for it. Whether it's the gamer themselves or a parent who doesn't know better, people are paying for it.

(Somebody has to be the first. You can't complain and say this is against your gamer principles, but when push comes to shove, you cave in. You can't complain if you're laying down your hard earned money, and do you know why? Because the moment you hit the "Buy" button, that sends the message you have no problem with this practice, and all of the complaining right now that you're doing, and what ever point you may think you have, becomes invalidated. There's an old saying; Put your money where your mouth is). 

 

The natural progression is we are soon going to see games be released where you don't even get to play the full game.

(If you're buying, then you have no right to complain, and you have no business playing the poor, downtrodden gamer card who's being exploited by the big, bad, meanie, greedy, industry poopie heads. If you really disapprove of the practice, then have some will power and don't buy into the practice. If you do, don't make excuses about how you have no choice, because you do.)


 

Message 31 of 44 (113 Views)
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 09/04/2011
Offline
1468 posts
 

Re: should DLC be free?

Mar 22, 2013
All contents the game has to offer? You do realize, back in the PS2 days, it would of been a lot harder to implement DLC into a released game, right?

DLC is there, not to complete a game, but to add upon a completed game. Sure, RE4 for the PS2 had a lot of features, and you may have thought it had all the content it could have, but a lot of features were thrown around for the game that didn't cut it, and if DLC existed back then, they could have added it. DLC are like patches, with the power of the internet, game developers can make games much longer and less buggy.

Do I think DLC should be free? No, is it free for them to make it? No, so why should you get it for free? I do agree it should cost less...without DLC, we would just have Red Dead Redemption vanilla, no new multiplayer skins, no new maps, the story would be the same everytime you play, and the multiplayer would NEVER change, and we wouldn't have Undead Nightmare. Are you saying Red Dead Redemption was a half finished game and Undead Nightmare is the rest of the game that we have to pay for? No, its a completely new story, and they deserve the money for that DLC.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------









Message 32 of 44 (108 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 07/02/2009
Online
6874 posts
 

Re: should DLC be free?

Mar 23, 2013

itsnotozzyitsozz wrote:
All contents the game has to offer? You do realize, back in the PS2 days, it would of been a lot harder to implement DLC into a released game, right?

DLC is there, not to complete a game, but to add upon a completed game. Sure, RE4 for the PS2 had a lot of features, and you may have thought it had all the content it could have, but a lot of features were thrown around for the game that didn't cut it, and if DLC existed back then, they could have added it. DLC are like patches, with the power of the internet, game developers can make games much longer and less buggy.

Do I think DLC should be free? No, is it free for them to make it? No, so why should you get it for free? I do agree it should cost less...without DLC, we would just have Red Dead Redemption vanilla, no new multiplayer skins, no new maps, the story would be the same everytime you play, and the multiplayer would NEVER change, and we wouldn't have Undead Nightmare. Are you saying Red Dead Redemption was a half finished game and Undead Nightmare is the rest of the game that we have to pay for? No, its a completely new story, and they deserve the money for that DLC.


 that not 100% true. rockstar  games made a dlc expansion pack london  69 (disc) on ps1 so did  many other  companies back in those days.  zipper interactive made  plenty of expansion packs on ps2 via internet during there  days.  its was  not that hard to do . but it was just a unknown thing to do on consoles and just not popular  at the time.. dlc is really a pc thing.

 

 Companies where  doing dlc way back in ps1 era. they called them expansion  packs and  you had buy  that expansion disk, and went of the  1s game save file or something like that. Zipper did  via internet with a few of thier games inthe ps2 era so did alot of others.  The thing was is was not popular and head of the curve.

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 33 of 44 (104 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 09/04/2011
Offline
1468 posts
 

Re: should DLC be free?

Mar 23, 2013
Okay, thats true, but like you said, wasn't very popular. Point is, though, like you just pointed out, DLC has been done for a long time, so it shouldn't stop now just because it's being used more often. It makes the games better imo, and its a choice to buy it or not. Their not make or break items that you have to get in order for your game to be complete. Its complete when you buy the retail disc, but if you really like the game and want more, you don't have to wait for a sequel, just DLC.

Trophies are another thing, who cares if you have to get DLC to get a trophy? Its a virtual trophy that has no value whatsoever, you can miss a few, it won't kill ya, and it won't kill your wallet as well Smiley Wink
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------









Message 34 of 44 (101 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 07/27/2012
Online
13569 posts
 

Re: should DLC be free?

Mar 23, 2013

Aren't dlc extras made after the game? Aren't they premium content? It's like food in a public facility. Everyone get's the same. But you pay for better stuff.

 

I'm not a fan of spending a lot for dlc. But when you play with it and use it, it's worth it.

Message 35 of 44 (98 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 11/15/2008
Offline
2241 posts
 

Re: should DLC be free?

[ Edited ]
Mar 23, 2013
I think it should be cheaper, I think the reason it is not is cause someone's making 50percent.

We want to charge 2 for heart fire, we want to charge 5 for dawnguard and dragon borne. If you build it they will buy for more. So I think we pay double. I paid 30 for skyrim and I think I paid just as much if not more for the dlc.
Its whatever God says it is, try not to let Satan trick you or lie to you. A lie can be twisted so much but its still a lie, same with tricks. Also know noone is perfect except Jesus, we all will mess up from time to time. So try not to be, to hard on yourself or others.
Message 36 of 44 (93 Views)
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 07/02/2009
Online
6874 posts
 

Re: should DLC be free?

[ Edited ]
Mar 23, 2013

itsnotozzyitsozz wrote:
Okay, thats true, but like you said, wasn't very popular. Point is, though, like you just pointed out, DLC has been done for a long time, so it shouldn't stop now just because it's being used more often. It makes the games better imo, and its a choice to buy it or not. Their not make or break items that you have to get in order for your game to be complete. Its complete when you buy the retail disc, but if you really like the game and want more, you don't have to wait for a sequel, just DLC.

Trophies are another thing, who cares if you have to get DLC to get a trophy? Its a virtual trophy that has no value whatsoever, you can miss a few, it won't kill ya, and it won't kill your wallet as well Smiley Wink

  Yes but at same alot of that dlc in that era   you didnt have to pay for it  like you do now , it was free in most cases. If it  came with a disc you  paid for it. It was considered a bonus for the gamer and huge  risk for the dev ( which is the exact oppisite  in today standards). also it  was made after the game was finsished not like it is now, where  they taking parts out of the game or  locking it out for 60$ and selling back for 15$ each  or 2.99 a costume color.

 

 Even when you  bought the disk you got all the content for like 10$ and it was about the same lenght in play as the original game. Which  I think is the biggest  transparentcy  bwtenn buying/ getting in that era and this era.  the dlc in this is  era much shorter not as good in quality either .  DLc  to does make any  games better unles it a map or something to create inthe game.. I  think max PAyne 3 and  kz 2 did mp right. But same time alot mp online dlc is waste of money today unlike in the past where you play it off line with bots.

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 37 of 44 (92 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 12/21/2012
Offline
6 posts
 

Re: should DLC be free?

Mar 26, 2013

DLC is such a rip-off that I don't even buy it anymore.  I'll pre-order games but I will never buy a season pass nor any of the DLC.  It's just a scam to get your hard earned money.

Message 38 of 44 (63 Views)
Big Daddy
Registered: 12/24/2007
Offline
16939 posts
 

Re: should DLC be free?

Mar 26, 2013

WastelanderMan wrote:

DLC is such a rip-off that I don't even buy it anymore.  I'll pre-order games but I will never buy a season pass nor any of the DLC.  It's just a scam to get your hard earned money.


Thats your opinion, If you stick to your guns and NEVER buy DLC anyway.

Some people see the value in DLC, others don't

 

Furiously Chaosing
Message 39 of 44 (55 Views)
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 04/29/2009
Offline
1602 posts
 

Re: should DLC be free?

Mar 26, 2013

Im proud of you gR3y. a reply without being mean .

Message 40 of 44 (51 Views)