Highlighted
Mar 16 2011
By: Lateralus91 First Son 21 posts
Accepted Solution

"There is not enough free space on the hard disk."

19 replies 3811 views Edited Mar 16, 2011

I just downloaded the Mortal Kombat demo, went to install, got the above message. Whatever, it happens, sometimes you just run out of room. However, I only have one downloaded game (Mortal Kombat II, as in the sega game) and a lot of saves and settings. Still, whatever. Just backed up a lot of stuff to my external hard drive and then deleted it. But after all that deleting, it now says I have less than 500 MB on the hard disk. I still can't delete the demo. I seriously deleted as much as I could and somehow lost space on the disk? What am I doing wrong?

I'm Wade Wilson. Mercenary, and founder of the Golden Girls Slash-Fic Fan Site. -- Deadpool,
Message 1 of 20 (3,811 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Re: "There is not enough free space on the hard disk."

Mar 16, 2011

How big is your hard drive, and how much of it is actually used? You can check usage under System Settings.

You can try going into Safe Mode and using the restore file system command to check for errors.

http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=1488

Message 2 of 20 (3,811 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

Mar 16, 2011

Hard drive is the 80gb model (so about 74GB, usage), for free space it says 365 MB/ 74 GB.  If I restore the system completely, and then redownload my purchases, would it count it as a completely new/different system? I would like to be able to redownload anything I bought without having to register it as a new system (same goes for netflix)

I'm Wade Wilson. Mercenary, and founder of the Golden Girls Slash-Fic Fan Site. -- Deadpool,
Message 3 of 20 (3,811 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Mar 16, 2011

It would count as the same system.

How much stuff did you backup to the external drive?

Message 4 of 20 (3,811 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5911 posts

Mar 16, 2011

There is no way you could fill up an 80GB with only one downloaded game and game saves. You've either got a ton of media on there as well, or some serious file system corruption. If you suspect it's the latter, boot into the safe mode menu and try the restore file system and/or rebuild database options.

Everyone thinks I'm psychotic (except my friends deep inside the earth).
Message 5 of 20 (3,811 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
104 posts

Mar 16, 2011

Was your HDD formatted to OTHEROS at one time?If so,any reserved space for OTHEROS would be lost after firmware update 3.15.It will still show up as free space.Reformatting internally will not bring it back.Only a reformat from a PC then reformat in the PS3 will.  

Message 6 of 20 (3,811 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Mar 16, 2011

mustang902 wrote:

Was your HDD formatted to OTHEROS at one time?If so,any reserved space for OTHEROS would be lost after firmware update 3.15.It will still show up as free space.Reformatting internally will not bring it back.Only a reformat from a PC then reformat in the PS3 will.  

Have you tried reformatting a PS3 hard drive with an OtherOS partition using the built-in format utility? I don't see why reformatting internally wouldn't make the entire drive accessible again, when that was an option in pre-3.15 firmware too.

Message 7 of 20 (3,811 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

Mar 17, 2011

No other media, only game saves and the 1 downloaded game. I deleted/backed up approx. 19mb. I used to have a lot of pictures and music, which i deleted months ago. My guess is like you said, file corruption, there was one time where the power went out in my dorm room last year while i was gone and i had the YLOD for a short time. And I have no clue what OTHEROS is. If it's what I think, I never installed another operating system on it, i never knew how to and by the time i realized i could, i had already gotten the update that deleted it. I'm thinking of backing up the rest of my saves and everything else, then doing the system restore. Does any of that sound like a horrible idea? (And thank you all for your help, you have no idea how much that means.)

Message 8 of 20 (3,811 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Mar 17, 2011

That's worth a try. If you use Backup Utility, then make sure you have a second backup using Saved Data Utility onto a spare thumb drive in case Backup Utility fails to restore.

Message 9 of 20 (3,811 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

Mar 17, 2011

Backed up all my saves, and then did the Restore File system (but didn't do a complete system restore). As of right now, my Free Space is 1238 MB/74 GB. All of my game utility data and trophies are still there, but nothing else.  Does that sound like the right ammount of memory? Or should I take the full plunge and just Format the Hard Disk?

Message 10 of 20 (3,811 Views)
0 Likes