Oct 25 2012
By: Ace5762 First Son 2 posts

"Sorry, did we forget to mention this update adds SPAM ADVERTISING to your UI?"

[ Edited ]
18 replies 494 views Edited Oct 25, 2012

So the newest software update for the PS3. More useless rubbish, but we've come to terms with that. What I can't come to terms with is that I now have a great big 'SingStar' advertising logo slapped onto my UI in my games section, that can't be hidden or removed. I have never EVER wanted to play a singing game. Not an attack on them, mind you, I just don't like playing them myself. So why in the hell have I got a piece of advertising cemented onto my firmware? Note also that this crap was not outlined in the details of the system update- they put it in under the radar and now they think we're just going to endure it?

No, to hell with that- we have all put up with an immeasureable amount of bull with this company. The launch price, Security breaches (along with a laughable compensation programme after it, which they turned into a marketing campaign). Locked firmware and multiple disappointments, each consecutive with every new software update- can't do anything with the software anymore, locked the whole thing. Paltry backwards compatibility.

But this is just taking the damned cake. Advertising is one thing, but advertising that's slammed straight onto OUR hardware? No, I'm not playing this game anymore.

Sony had better change their attitude toward their consumers if they want to have a hope in hell of surviving the next console iteration. Treating your customers with this level of contempt staggers the mind. Because I'll tell you right now for free- if Microsoft brought a new console tomorrow? I'd buy it and throw my PS3 in the trash.

Message 1 of 19 (494 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1022 posts

Re: "Sorry, did we forget to mention this update adds SPAM ADVERTISING to your UI?"

Oct 25, 2012

What are you talking about?  Are you talking about the "Playstation Store" icon on the Games section of the XMB?  Because that's been there for a while, like a year or two.  There's one on the Videos section as well.  Other than the Playstation Store, I see nothing out of the ordinary.

If that's what you're talking about, it can't be that bad if you JUST noticed it.

Message 2 of 19 (477 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8181 posts

Re: "Sorry, did we forget to mention this update adds SPAM ADVERTISING to your UI?"

Oct 25, 2012
You know, you can hop into the Settings Menu and disable the "What's new" display. Never noticed any new advertising on my system.
Message 3 of 19 (458 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1368 posts

Oct 25, 2012
That laughable compensation was generous, Sony has no obligation to keep the network running. After all, its free.
 photo EZRASIG_zpsf85694e2.jpg
Message 4 of 19 (453 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
775 posts

Oct 25, 2012
Sony should allow more advertising in the xmb as a cash flow for maybe things like upgrading servers and making our psn experience better... they could have it be disabled if your a plus member.... just a marketing thought we should be thankful its not as bogged down with ads like xbox
Message 5 of 19 (432 Views)
Survivor
2609 posts

Oct 25, 2012

Spam advertising? I haven't seen any outside of the What's New section! Plus that would be a great idea, make more money for their free network while paying members won't have to see those ads.

Deadly Neurotoxin!
 photo rsz_1rsz_11rsz_1000px-fpsword_zps44b9ca31.png
Message 6 of 19 (427 Views)
Uncharted Territory
2185 posts

Oct 25, 2012

Sony makes many poor choices and this is further proof. I'm glad I'm not in the UK. Since I don't see anything of value coming from the M$ camp I'd have to stick solely with Nin if Sony doesn't clean up their act. No movies, no updates, no crap. Just good games and a stable, free PSN. Next gen is not looking that great.

Too many games, too little time.
Message 7 of 19 (389 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1392 posts

Oct 25, 2012
Somebody Jimmies got Rustled there is no advertising on my console sir simmer down
Message 8 of 19 (381 Views)
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Oct 25, 2012

KoRnKlOwN69 wrote:
Sony should allow more advertising in the xmb as a cash flow for maybe things like upgrading servers and making our psn experience better... they could have it be disabled if your a plus member.... just a marketing thought we should be thankful its not as bogged down with ads like xbox

You mean like how Microsoft is doing? Gold and Silver subscriptions both have the same amount of adverts, and even with a Gold sub, you can't disable the ads.

No thanks..... the PSN is working just fine for me and many other people.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 9 of 19 (379 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
587 posts

Oct 25, 2012
It won't let me turn off what's new anymore.

Pinball totally rules!
--------------------
Message 10 of 19 (376 Views)
0 Likes