Mar 04 2011
By: Lapwner Lombax Warrior 245 posts

"Screen Recording" Application Idea

3 replies 1177 views Edited Mar 4, 2011

Alright I would love to record HD gameplay from my PS3, but I'm not too keen on spending almost $300 on an HD PVR that I would only use for this purpose. But I came up with an idea that may actually be possible/work...

Screen Recording App!

It could be a downloadable application from the Playstation Store. It would cost money, I would probably say somewhere between $9.99-19.99. (Or Free/Discounted with PS+) Note that this would be ALOT cheaper than an HD PVR.

After installation, the app would appear under Video. You would go to this app to set your settings for screen recording, manage your videos (and possibly edit?), export your videos to External Memory (to edit/upload to youtube) Settings could include quality, (720P, 1080P, etc.) button asssigning (for when you want to record), and Save Destination (XMB Video, Within App, or External Device)

It could work by assigning a certain unused XMB button to press during a game or anywhere. To start your recording, you could press the PS Button during a game. While at the XMB, quickly press R2 for example, and the XMB would exit and start recording. When you want to stop recording, simply do this again and it will stop recording and save your video to the video section of the XMB. From there you can go back to the XMB, run the application, and export your video to a flash drive or external hard drive. You could then edit it on your computer, making a simple screen capturing solution.

However, one thing I am thinking about is speed. It might slow down your PS3 if it is also recording and saving a video while you are playing a game. Other than that, it seems like a fairly good idea. Sony could make some money off of this as well, and it would be a first for console gaming, making the PS3 even more superior!

What do you guys think? 'Cause if this was implemented correctly, it would be an amazing feature that I would most certainly use often.

Message 1 of 4 (1,177 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Re: "Screen Recording" Application Idea

Oct 11, 2012

I totally agree! Why isn't anyone backing this I wonder? It is ever increasingly popular to upload videos to youtube for show and even competitions. I would gladly pay up to $19.99 for this software. I'm sure many of the PlayStation people would. I don't want to pay nearly $300 for a PVR and isn't that copyright infringment anyway? Come on PlayStation..

Message 2 of 4 (1,152 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1283 posts

Oct 11, 2012
Applications use resources, if this idea was possible cross-game chat would be possible. An app that recorded in 720p would be a huge process in need of RAM that isn't available for it to use. It isn't gonna happen, sorry.
Message 3 of 4 (1,149 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
1 posts

Oct 18, 2012

I think thats a good idea but it should be free you can just download software online and put it on a flash drive put it in the usb socket on the system and there free recording but it would be easier just to download of Playstation Store but for free or ill just download some software for screen recording on a flash drive.

Message 4 of 4 (1,135 Views)
0 Likes