Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
MVP Support
12195 posts

Re: "PSVita Memory Card Prices Revealed"

Sep 23, 2011

But I doubt that the 32 GB would be less than $100 still.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 21 of 30 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7591 posts

Sep 23, 2011

For the price, these things have got to be those super-reliable and speedy flash memory.

FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice. Dogecoin is nice too.
dd58bb65b61e7ab81198f3cc66aa5896c7fd690a
Message 22 of 30 (20 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
31 posts

Sep 23, 2011

^ Agreed

Proud Sony fan and owner of PSP 1000, PS2, PS3, and soon PS Vita.
Message 23 of 30 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
196 posts

Sep 23, 2011

I'm not gonna question their reilability.  I'm sure they will be.  I was at GameStop yesterday and we were talking about the VITA.  They were already trying to talk me into pre-ordering the VITA, memory card, and games for it.  And I was like "Dude, I don't even know how much all that's gonna cost me yet or what my money's going to be like when it does comes out with this economy."  Sometimes I do preorder way ahead when I know the price tag and know I'll be able to handle it on release, or even pay in full ahead of time if that's possible (like I did with Mass Effect 3).  But this is another story.  I know I want a VITA and I know I will get one....at some point.  But that's a hell of a lot of money.

Message 24 of 30 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Sep 23, 2011

araos1 wrote:

Of course it does have the HDMI-out.....and I can't say there's anything to touch out there from what I've seen.

Umm, I do not know where you heard that but the release versions do not have HDMI out, there is no form of video output as confirmed in the Sony FAQs on the PSVita. Some developer models do have HDMI out though.

Message 25 of 30 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
196 posts

Sep 23, 2011

It was mentioned in an article I read after E3.  Don't remember if it was that PSN mag online or if it was Game Informer.  Might have been else where though.  It was after the E3 showing of it is all I remember.

Message 26 of 30 (20 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Sep 23, 2011

CaptainHuggyface wrote:

Wakefulness wrote:
What actually surprised me that Sony's advancements in "XC" flash format technology where not applied to the PS Vita memory card as it could have potentially made for fast and reliable 64Gb (and up) PS Vita memory card sticks although, it is far to niche to appeal to such a high spending consumer and expect them to buy +$100 for a single PS Vita memory card.

Do we know that it is not applied? I have not seen any technical information about them. Or maybe it is employed in the game cards?

There are absolutely zero official specs revealed on the flash memory of either the game or user memory card's for the Vita - other than memory capacities. According to Resistance: Burning Skies developer Nihilistic, the PS Vita has minimal loading time,

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1019265/loading_times_seemless_on_ps_vita_resistence_dev.html

The small amount of loading time is attributed to the fact it is a non-optical format and the flash memory read is read quickly in blocks but, a tweek (like the ones in the XC series) could make game cards and user memory cards even quicker to reduce precious nanoseconds of read time. Games which are free roaming and employ new sceneries as a gamer walks from point a to b in a map such as Monster Hunter will benefit from having a near seamless loading time during gameplay. Loading times between certain pieces of a game is especially important if it is a particular type of gameplay where the player is highly excited coming off a kill streak as the last thing he or she will want is an emotional/physical recess between the streaks he or she has earned. But, again, it is already on flash memory cards so any flash memory type will be much quicker on reading time than UMD optical discs from the start so it could be as close to seemless anyways. Someone will test these things later on anyways, there are people who put the PSP 3000 under a microscope to inspect "ghosting", after all.

It will be very interesting to see how Sony go beyond the 4Gb cap of the Vita game cards and 32Gb's of the user memory cards in the future. The PS Vita, more than any other device, will drive a demand to expand memory capacities because the process of making titles such as DJMAX and COD will all demand more memory for additional audio tracks, higher resolution textures, cut scenes, etc. There is also the understanding that people will want extra memory for viewing movies on the PS Vita's OLED. PS Vita will very much be a user experience which will be driven by lots bits of data, and keeping those bits of data will require memory.

Doppelgangergang wrote:

For the price, these things have got to be those super-reliable and speedy flash memory.

The price of PS Vita cards relative to SD cards actually might not be all that over priced come US launch time. Who knows. On the business math analytics side, one can already witness trends that show flash memory formats are found in (nearly) all mobile consumer devices and that flash memory technology will be very cheap to manufacture come early 2012 (the US price).

Sony could just be meeting creating unique royalties for this memory card price in Japan and settle to something more reasonable in the US. There are a few special circumstances which would lead Sony to to that. Look at it this way:

a) Japan is a region which loves dedicated handheld consoles

b) There will be many PSP fans who will want to downoad and play PSP, PSN games on the PS Vita

c) The PS Vita will have day and date distribution of the 20+ titles which will be at the Japanese launch

d) There will be 100+ Japanese titles in the launch window

e) Sony is recognized as the #1 quality consumer electronics brand in Japan

There are many reasons why Sony could be pricing PS Vita cards a higher JPY price compared to the JPY price of SD cards. It should come as no surprise if the price for PS Vita memory cards are actually priced at around 50% less than the (curently listed) Japanese prices come the US launch.

Message 27 of 30 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
196 posts

Sep 23, 2011

In the video here http://us.playstation.com/psvita/features/ there looks to be a slot on the bottom that might be a video out port.  That might actually be the game slot, I don't know for sure.  I'm speculating.  I do remember reading about it earlier this year though and as mention they might have been talking about a developer model instead of the marketed model.  I really do hope it has a video out port.  Most of the time I have my PSP connected to my TV.  Easier on the eyes

EDIT - Apparently it won't according to this article "to help keep production costs down".

http://psvitaupdate.com/videoout.html

Maybe they will come out with another version later that will support video out.

Message 28 of 30 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Sep 23, 2011

araos1 wrote:

In the video here http://us.playstation.com/psvita/features/ there looks to be a slot on the bottom that might be a video out port.  That might actually be the game slot, I don't know for sure.  I'm speculating.  I do remember reading about it earlier this year though and as mention they might have been talking about a developer model instead of the marketed model.  I really do hope it has a video out port.  Most of the time I have my PSP connected to my TV.  Easier on the eyes

EDIT - Apparently it won't according to this article "to help keep production costs down".

http://psvitaupdate.com/videoout.html

Maybe they will come out with another version later that will support video out.

Yes, if you had been following the release from the early days you wouldhave seen that was a proprietry multiport (as per PSPgo) not an HDMI port but unlike the PSPgo it does not have video out. The two card slots (game and expansion) are under flaps at the top of the console, between the L and R buttons and also the Power and Volume keys.

Message 29 of 30 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2703 posts

Sep 23, 2011

Anyone need a kidney?

Message 30 of 30 (20 Views)
0 Likes