PlayStation MVP
11254 posts

Re: "Collection" Series - God of War Misleading

Aug 30, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

StarGeezerTim wrote:

You have neither the time nor inclination to hang out on the blogs all day, yet you have the time and the inclination to be outraged? You could have used Google, you could have ASKED here BEFORE you bought it. You could have asked the guys at GameStop. You could have found information on IGN or GameStop. But instead you decided to play the outraged gamer card, instead of being an educated consumer. 

That's the one thing I don't get about the modern "gamer". They can be outraged, but they won't do the tiniest bit of research. You are currently connected to the internet, one of the most vast pools of information in the history of mankind. If you use it properly, then you can avoid situations like this in the future.

You have a pretty cavalier attitude about how this all should have been intuitive or at least apparent to anyone.  Not that I owe YOU or anyone else an explanation, but I don't just hop in my car and drive down to the local GameStop to pick up my games. I'm disabled and order virtually all my games through online outlets like Amazon.  So I can't look at the box first or ask my friendly neighborhood clerk if there's anything special I should know about the title.  I order it based on the information that is provided at the point of purchase (in most instances, the item description and feedback, if applicable.)

I mean, what would even provide a hint that when the game is touted as "including all 5 games" that two of them would be DLC?  In other  words, based on the plain sense meaning of the words and without having to read the ultra-fine print, what precisely should have triggered the "OMG I better research this on Google before  I drop the dime on this!" response?

This would be like buying a car on the valid assumption that all four wheels come with it, only to find a voucher  for  two of them in the glove compartment!

I should also add as an aside, they also did something siimilar with the "thatgamecompany" collection, which was supposed to include Journey, flOw and Flower.  They in fact DO include all three games on disc...HOWEVER, they need to be installed to your HDD and won't run directly off the BD.  I'm a little less outraged about this because, while I already had Journey, I really wanted the other two titles, as well as all of the soundtracks.

Had the Captain did his own research on your issue, he would have found, like I did, this was an easy mistake to make. Sony certainly didn't make it clear on the Blog and all the online product descriptions didn't state some of the games were only redeemable via download. The only official confirmation that I found was in that video Sony posted on the blog, and the disclaimer was only visible for seconds. I also think that on the back of the box there is a disclaimer about this, did you find it?

I actually knew it was vouchers for the 2 PSP God of War Games. I read it on the PS Blog back when it was announced. 9 comments down and there is confirmation that it is a voucher for those 2 games. I thought I'd seen it on IGN and/or GameInformer but couldn't locate the article. I did a search and found siliconera's site also had mentioned it a while ago.

However even though I'd seen the information a while ago, it was not something that was well advertised. I will agree with that and if you don't tend to read through everything it's easy to miss.

Message 21 of 53 (223 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Sackboy
573 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 30, 2012

Well correct me if I'm wrong but don't the vouchers let you download the games? So you have 5 games, just not 5 physical games.

what if i want to play 3 years from now? i can almost garantee sony will no longer offer it for download then.

so unless i feel like keeping them on my HD forever im assed out if i want to play my games again later on down the road?! im really peeved about this 2 voucher thing as well, the whole friggin point of buying a "collection" was to have all 5 games on disc so i wouldnt be limited as to when i had to play them. i  also dont think it was a coincidence that the voucher info is printed so tiny on the back of the game, because they(sony) knew that they would'nt even sell half the copies expected if everyone realized that they were not indeed getting all 5 games on discs. its a super shady business practice that i would expect from the boys over at billybox, but sony should be ashamed for trying to hustle their longtime customer base like that.

LONG LIVE CECHA01!!!
the absolute pinnacle of console video gaming!
Message 22 of 53 (214 Views)
Lombax Warrior
180 posts

Aug 30, 2012

Thanks for warning me, I'll probably just buy GoW3 and the origin collection as I own the first collection already.

As for your problem, you should sell it. Try any place but gamestop.

Message 23 of 53 (209 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Aug 30, 2012
Because not all the games are on Blu-Ray, it will certainly impact the trade in value, since one can't count on that those downloaded games haven't been redeemed...
Message 24 of 53 (199 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Aug 30, 2012

joshTX wrote:
I already own all the previously released GOW games in this collection, so no need for me to go buy this...but yeah, I'd be **bleep** to find a voucher for the two PSP games inside knowing that a disc version existed.

Just so that I can be lazy and not use the infinite source of information that is the Internet to research a 40 dollar video game, can someone confirm if any of the other recently released "collection" titles have DLC vouchers?

For the Infamous collection, the Infamous DLC & Festival of Blood add-on is downloadable via voucher....

Message 25 of 53 (197 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
340 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 30, 2012

"I'm afraid you are mistaken GOW 3 does not support 3D, only the origins collection.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/08/06/never-st​op-playing-with-playstation-collections/"

Well, then Sony lied on the case of the game, where it says "3d supported only in God of War III and God of War: Origins Collections".  On the case.  Of the game I bought and am holding in my hands right now.  Reading it as I type.....

Message 26 of 53 (197 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Aug 30, 2012

ronniecutthroat wrote:

"I'm afraid you are mistaken GOW 3 does not support 3D, only the origins collection.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/08/06/never-st​op-playing-with-playstation-collections/"

Well, then Sony lied on the case of the game, where it says "3d supported only in God of War III and God of War: Origins Collections".  On the case.  Of the game I bought and am holding in my hands right now.  Reading it as I type.....

I saw this too when I went to the store and looked at the case, but according to the Blog (with the link I posted) that was a typo. I had no idea that the packaging had this same typo too. I think this will upset many people, thinking this is a new version of GOW 3 with 3D support...

Message 27 of 53 (193 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
340 posts

Aug 30, 2012

I'm actually pretty **bleep**.  It was one thing to intentionally bury the Origins collection being DL only, but to fully typo the cover with GoWIII being in 3d when it's not.... either their marketing and design department is epically horrible, or the company intentionally attempted to misinform consumers in-store in hopes of increasing sales.  Once these games are unwrapped we have no recourse.  They have my money, and there is nothing I can do about it.  Conspiracy theory?  Possibly, but when there are multiple issues like this it starts to be a bit frustrating.

Message 28 of 53 (184 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Aug 30, 2012

ronniecutthroat wrote:

I'm actually pretty **bleep**.  It was one thing to intentionally bury the Origins collection being DL only, but to fully typo the cover with GoWIII being in 3d when it's not.... either their marketing and design department is epically horrible, or the company intentionally attempted to misinform consumers in-store in hopes of increasing sales.  Once these games are unwrapped we have no recourse.  They have my money, and there is nothing I can do about it.  Conspiracy theory?  Possibly, but when there are multiple issues like this it starts to be a bit frustrating.

I think this is more likely. Recently Sony announced a PSN release of Mickey Mania (European PS2 game) days before its release and ended up not releasing it because they found out it was only a PAL game and wouldn't run on US PS3s. They just found this out right before release, and didn't test it out well before realizing this. Also there was the case that GTA3 was pulled because not all the music in the game was legally cleared. I also think this should have been settled well before its announcement. 

Hopefully mistakes like this wont be repeated...

Message 29 of 53 (180 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
7878 posts

Aug 30, 2012

Cascadien wrote:

Well correct me if I'm wrong but don't the vouchers let you download the games? So you have 5 games, just not 5 physical games.

what if i want to play 3 years from now? i can almost garantee sony will no longer offer it for download then.

so unless i feel like keeping them on my HD forever im assed out if i want to play my games again later on down the road?! im really peeved about this 2 voucher thing as well, the whole friggin point of buying a "collection" was to have all 5 games on disc so i wouldnt be limited as to when i had to play them. i  also dont think it was a coincidence that the voucher info is printed so tiny on the back of the game, because they(sony) knew that they would'nt even sell half the copies expected if everyone realized that they were not indeed getting all 5 games on discs. its a super shady business practice that i would expect from the boys over at billybox, but sony should be ashamed for trying to hustle their longtime customer base like that.

You would still be able to download it even if they took it down from the store. I have one game that I bought from the PSN back in 2009, couple years ago, they took it down from the store, it can`t be bought any more. However, it`s still in my download list, and I can still re download it, even though it`s no longer listed in the store. So you shouldn`t need to worry about that, all you need to do is find it in your download list.

Message 30 of 53 (176 Views)
0 Likes