Reply
Aug 28 2012
By: StarGeezerTim Monster Hunter 33 posts
Offline

"Collection" Series - God of War Misleading

52 replies 589 views Edited Aug 28, 2012

I bought all four of the new "Collections" series of games today, and the first one I opened was God of War. I've played the original GoW on the PS2, and have bought every title out since.  When I saw that  all five games would be in one collection, I jumped on the opportunity and pre-ordered them as soon as Amazon put them up.

 

Imagine my chagrin when I discovered that you actually only have GoW 1-3 on disc.  The other two, "Chains of Olympus" and "Ghost of Sparta", are in online voucher form and must be downloaded.  NO WHERE did you indicate that this would be the case, and even on the game case cover it says "Includes 5 Full Games." 

 

I already bought and downloaded both of these ports from the PSP.  I was in fact counting on them being on the BR disc so that I could free up some much-needed real estate on my my HDD.  Now I have a voucher for two games I've already paid for, downloaded, installed and played.  Gee, thanks.  Glad to know I just p!ssed away $40 for nothing.

 

I guess my best friend's son is going to get a voucher for two games for Christmas now.  At least one of us will be happy.

 

 

Very unhappy.

 

 

PS Your marketing guys SUCK! Smiley Frustrated

Message 1 of 53 (589 Views)
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
28546 posts
 

Re: "Collection" Series - God of War Misleading

Aug 28, 2012

StarGeezerTim wrote:

I bought all four of the new "Collections" series of games today, and the first one I opened was God of War. I've played the original GoW on the PS2, and have bought every title out since.  When I saw that  all five games would be in one collection, I jumped on the opportunity and pre-ordered them as soon as Amazon put them up.

 

Imagine my chagrin when I discovered that you actually only have GoW 1-3 on disc.  The other two, "Chains of Olympus" and "Ghost of Sparta", are in online voucher form and must be downloaded.  NO WHERE did you indicate that this would be the case, and even on the game case cover it says "Includes 5 Full Games." 

 

I already bought and downloaded both of these ports from the PSP.  I was in fact counting on them being on the BR disc so that I could free up some much-needed real estate on my my HDD.  Now I have a voucher for two games I've already paid for, downloaded, installed and played.  Gee, thanks.  Glad to know I just p!ssed away $40 for nothing.

 

I guess my best friend's son is going to get a voucher for two games for Christmas now.  At least one of us will be happy.

 

 

Very unhappy.

 

 

PS Your marketing guys SUCK! Smiley Frustrated


Did you even bother to ask anyone? And why on earth would you pay for two games you already own? You could have bought God of War HD and God of War III and saved yourself the aggravation. And if you say "who was I supposed to ask?", this is what the Playstation Blog is for. 

Message 2 of 53 (588 Views)
Big Daddy
Registered: 12/24/2007
Online
16827 posts
 

Re: "Collection" Series - God of War Misleading

Aug 28, 2012

You have yourself to blame for that.....

 

You should have read in more detail and even used google (because thats what a search engine is for)

Furiously Chaosing
Message 3 of 53 (583 Views)
Monster Hunter
Registered: 06/10/2010
Offline
33 posts
 

Re: "Collection" Series - God of War Misleading

Aug 29, 2012

Did you even bother to ask anyone? And why on earth would you pay for two games you already own? You could have bought God of War HD and God of War III and saved yourself the aggravation. And if you say "who was I supposed to ask?", this is what the Playstation Blog is for.

 

I had no reason to expect anything but the plain sense of the announcement when Sony said the games would "include 5 full games."  In point of fact I already had (past tense) GoW 1&2 HD, as well as GoW3.  Unfortunately during a move last year, my PS3 and a number of games came up "missing", and my GoW discs were among the casualties.  Now, fine I do have GoW 1-3 on disc again, so it wasn't a total waste. But Sony should have made it crystal clear that the PSP ports were download only and not included on the discs. It may well have mitigated my decision to buy this particular collection.

 

I'm generally in favor of the trend toward collections.  I also picked up the inFAMOUS collection (because my originals also turned up "missing" after the move), as well as the Journey Collection (I have Journey...it **bleep** well better be on disc so I can clear it off my HDD), the later primarily for the other two titles and the soundtracks/BTS stuff. I even picked up Ratchet and Clank Collection, and am looking forward to them, as I haven't played any of them yet.

 

I have neither the time nor inclination to hang out on the forums or blogs all day. I shouldn't have to be... the responsibility to state clearly what comes on the mediia is on Sony. It's just bad form on their part.  Hopefully with the next gen of consoles they wont scrimp on the HDD size and this won't be an issue (and for the record, I have a 320G PS3...there's a little less than 100G free left on it.)

Message 4 of 53 (571 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 07/20/2012
Offline
1018 posts
 

Re: "Collection" Series - God of War Misleading

Aug 29, 2012
It's a perfect time for me to get in the God of War
Message 5 of 53 (568 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 07/12/2012
Offline
27 posts
 

Re: "Collection" Series - God of War Misleading

Aug 29, 2012
Thank you for this. I was also under the impression that they were all on discs. I would have hated to pick up the collection and be stuck with voucher codes.
Message 6 of 53 (563 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
28546 posts
 

Re: "Collection" Series - God of War Misleading

Aug 29, 2012

StarGeezerTim wrote:

Did you even bother to ask anyone? And why on earth would you pay for two games you already own? You could have bought God of War HD and God of War III and saved yourself the aggravation. And if you say "who was I supposed to ask?", this is what the Playstation Blog is for.

 

I had no reason to expect anything but the plain sense of the announcement when Sony said the games would "include 5 full games."  In point of fact I already had (past tense) GoW 1&2 HD, as well as GoW3.  Unfortunately during a move last year, my PS3 and a number of games came up "missing", and my GoW discs were among the casualties.  Now, fine I do have GoW 1-3 on disc again, so it wasn't a total waste. But Sony should have made it crystal clear that the PSP ports were download only and not included on the discs. It may well have mitigated my decision to buy this particular collection.

 

I'm generally in favor of the trend toward collections.  I also picked up the inFAMOUS collection (because my originals also turned up "missing" after the move), as well as the Journey Collection (I have Journey...it **bleep** well better be on disc so I can clear it off my HDD), the later primarily for the other two titles and the soundtracks/BTS stuff. I even picked up Ratchet and Clank Collection, and am looking forward to them, as I haven't played any of them yet.

 

I have neither the time nor inclination to hang out on the forums or blogs all day. I shouldn't have to be... the responsibility to state clearly what comes on the mediia is on Sony. It's just bad form on their part.  Hopefully with the next gen of consoles they wont scrimp on the HDD size and this won't be an issue (and for the record, I have a 320G PS3...there's a little less than 100G free left on it.)



StarGeezerTim wrote:

Did you even bother to ask anyone? And why on earth would you pay for two games you already own? You could have bought God of War HD and God of War III and saved yourself the aggravation. And if you say "who was I supposed to ask?", this is what the Playstation Blog is for.

 

I had no reason to expect anything but the plain sense of the announcement when Sony said the games would "include 5 full games."  In point of fact I already had (past tense) GoW 1&2 HD, as well as GoW3.  Unfortunately during a move last year, my PS3 and a number of games came up "missing", and my GoW discs were among the casualties.  Now, fine I do have GoW 1-3 on disc again, so it wasn't a total waste. But Sony should have made it crystal clear that the PSP ports were download only and not included on the discs. It may well have mitigated my decision to buy this particular collection.

 

I'm generally in favor of the trend toward collections.  I also picked up the inFAMOUS collection (because my originals also turned up "missing" after the move), as well as the Journey Collection (I have Journey...it **bleep** well better be on disc so I can clear it off my HDD), the later primarily for the other two titles and the soundtracks/BTS stuff. I even picked up Ratchet and Clank Collection, and am looking forward to them, as I haven't played any of them yet.

 

I have neither the time nor inclination to hang out on the forums or blogs all day. I shouldn't have to be... the responsibility to state clearly what comes on the mediia is on Sony. It's just bad form on their part.  Hopefully with the next gen of consoles they wont scrimp on the HDD size and this won't be an issue (and for the record, I have a 320G PS3...there's a little less than 100G free left on it.)




You have neither the time nor inclination to hang out on the blogs all day, yet you have the time and the inclination to be outraged? You could have used Google, you could have ASKED here BEFORE you bought it. You could have asked the guys at GameStop. You could have found information on IGN or GameStop. But instead you decided to play the outraged gamer card, instead of being an educated consumer. 

 

That's the one thing I don't get about the modern "gamer". They can be outraged, but they won't do the tiniest bit of research. You are currently connected to the internet, one of the most vast pools of information in the history of mankind. If you use it properly, then you can avoid situations like this in the future. 

Message 7 of 53 (551 Views)
PIayStation MVP
Registered: 07/14/2000
Offline
12905 posts
 

Re: "Collection" Series - God of War Misleading

[ Edited ]
Aug 29, 2012

StarGeezerTim wrote:

I bought all four of the new "Collections" series of games today, and the first one I opened was God of War. I've played the original GoW on the PS2, and have bought every title out since.  When I saw that  all five games would be in one collection, I jumped on the opportunity and pre-ordered them as soon as Amazon put them up.

 

Imagine my chagrin when I discovered that you actually only have GoW 1-3 on disc.  The other two, "Chains of Olympus" and "Ghost of Sparta", are in online voucher form and must be downloaded.  NO WHERE did you indicate that this would be the case, and even on the game case cover it says "Includes 5 Full Games." 

 

I already bought and downloaded both of these ports from the PSP.  I was in fact counting on them being on the BR disc so that I could free up some much-needed real estate on my my HDD.  Now I have a voucher for two games I've already paid for, downloaded, installed and played.  Gee, thanks.  Glad to know I just p!ssed away $40 for nothing.

 

I guess my best friend's son is going to get a voucher for two games for Christmas now.  At least one of us will be happy.

 

 

Very unhappy.

 

 

PS Your marketing guys SUCK! Smiley Frustrated


Actually it says "Includes 5 Full Games*" (note the asterisk). I bet somewhere on that box it states (probably on the back) "*includes voucher to download digital copy of God of War Chains of Olympus & God of War Ghost of Sparta"

 

This is noted in this video (1:00 mark):

 

I'm not saying you are completely at fault, because I would think that the Amazon description would have been more clear about this, but I think it is unlikely that Sony didn't mark note this (as small as it may be) on the box.

 

The reason for this is probably simple. A standard Blu-Ray case can easily accomodate 2 discs, but a special type of case would have to be used to accomodate 3 discs and it would be cheaper and easier to issue a voucher for content on one of these discs.

 

In a perfect world, all 5 games would be on one Blu-Ray disc, but that would involve some reprograming to code a menu system to access the games, leading to more quality control and bug testing. In other words it would have been more costly to do this approach.

 

Also on the Amazon page, it was revealed that there was a voucher code for some of the games in the fourms section (toward the bottom of the page), 18 days ago. http://www.amazon.com/God-War-Saga-Playstation-3/dp/B008CP6MA2/ref=cm_cd_f_pb_t

Message 8 of 53 (548 Views)
Highlighted
Sackboy
Registered: 04/18/2008
Offline
629 posts
 

Re: "Collection" Series - God of War Misleading

Aug 29, 2012

So your saying the downloaded games arent "Full Games"? Its not like you only got 3 games and they forgot the 2 others......

Message 9 of 53 (542 Views)
PIayStation MVP
Registered: 07/14/2000
Offline
12905 posts
 

Re: "Collection" Series - God of War Misleading

[ Edited ]
Aug 29, 2012

CaptainAlbator wrote:

StarGeezerTim wrote:

Did you even bother to ask anyone? And why on earth would you pay for two games you already own? You could have bought God of War HD and God of War III and saved yourself the aggravation. And if you say "who was I supposed to ask?", this is what the Playstation Blog is for.

 

I had no reason to expect anything but the plain sense of the announcement when Sony said the games would "include 5 full games."  In point of fact I already had (past tense) GoW 1&2 HD, as well as GoW3.  Unfortunately during a move last year, my PS3 and a number of games came up "missing", and my GoW discs were among the casualties.  Now, fine I do have GoW 1-3 on disc again, so it wasn't a total waste. But Sony should have made it crystal clear that the PSP ports were download only and not included on the discs. It may well have mitigated my decision to buy this particular collection.

 

I'm generally in favor of the trend toward collections.  I also picked up the inFAMOUS collection (because my originals also turned up "missing" after the move), as well as the Journey Collection (I have Journey...it **bleep** well better be on disc so I can clear it off my HDD), the later primarily for the other two titles and the soundtracks/BTS stuff. I even picked up Ratchet and Clank Collection, and am looking forward to them, as I haven't played any of them yet.

 

I have neither the time nor inclination to hang out on the forums or blogs all day. I shouldn't have to be... the responsibility to state clearly what comes on the mediia is on Sony. It's just bad form on their part.  Hopefully with the next gen of consoles they wont scrimp on the HDD size and this won't be an issue (and for the record, I have a 320G PS3...there's a little less than 100G free left on it.)



StarGeezerTim wrote:

Did you even bother to ask anyone? And why on earth would you pay for two games you already own? You could have bought God of War HD and God of War III and saved yourself the aggravation. And if you say "who was I supposed to ask?", this is what the Playstation Blog is for.

 

I had no reason to expect anything but the plain sense of the announcement when Sony said the games would "include 5 full games."  In point of fact I already had (past tense) GoW 1&2 HD, as well as GoW3.  Unfortunately during a move last year, my PS3 and a number of games came up "missing", and my GoW discs were among the casualties.  Now, fine I do have GoW 1-3 on disc again, so it wasn't a total waste. But Sony should have made it crystal clear that the PSP ports were download only and not included on the discs. It may well have mitigated my decision to buy this particular collection.

 

I'm generally in favor of the trend toward collections.  I also picked up the inFAMOUS collection (because my originals also turned up "missing" after the move), as well as the Journey Collection (I have Journey...it **bleep** well better be on disc so I can clear it off my HDD), the later primarily for the other two titles and the soundtracks/BTS stuff. I even picked up Ratchet and Clank Collection, and am looking forward to them, as I haven't played any of them yet.

 

I have neither the time nor inclination to hang out on the forums or blogs all day. I shouldn't have to be... the responsibility to state clearly what comes on the mediia is on Sony. It's just bad form on their part.  Hopefully with the next gen of consoles they wont scrimp on the HDD size and this won't be an issue (and for the record, I have a 320G PS3...there's a little less than 100G free left on it.)




You have neither the time nor inclination to hang out on the blogs all day, yet you have the time and the inclination to be outraged? You could have used Google, you could have ASKED here BEFORE you bought it. You could have asked the guys at GameStop. You could have found information on IGN or GameStop. But instead you decided to play the outraged gamer card, instead of being an educated consumer. 

 

That's the one thing I don't get about the modern "gamer". They can be outraged, but they won't do the tiniest bit of research. You are currently connected to the internet, one of the most vast pools of information in the history of mankind. If you use it properly, then you can avoid situations like this in the future. 


The problem with that was that (even with research), you aren't likely to see anything about the voucher issue. The Amazon & GameStop websites don't mention it, nor does the PlayStation blog post. There is just a 2 second discloser of this in the video, that can easily be missed. Since the OP preordered this game from Amazon, and likely just got it today, he wouldn't have a chance to ask anyone, and the ones that know about this are likely GameStop employees whom gutted the game to put up the case as a display. Given that the game has been available for less than 24 hours, that makes very few people that have direct knowledge about this (assuming they were paying attention of course)....

Message 10 of 53 (540 Views)