Mar 10 2012
By: kythunder Fender Bender 3105 posts

question about swapping HDD's

9 replies 9 views Edited Mar 10, 2012

hello,i have a cechlo1 80gb and i have a 500gb usb backup storage drive that basically just sits in the drawer and i use it from time to time to backup my ps3 but whats the reason for really backing up everything??  as long as you backup your game saves your good to go aren't you? im still free to re-download all my games and everything from psn correct..i know it would take much longer that way but is that the basic principal for backing up the entire drive?  see the 500gb drive is a 3.5 sata drive and i have a 22pin extension cable that i can hook up to the ps3 and and just mod the case the drive is in now and run that cable to the drive and then i will have a 500gb drive plus a little cooler running system as the drive will be external,which is fine with me bacause it will sit nicely right beside it...any thoughts let me know and thanks for all the great answers here,i really am beginning to like this forum...kythunder..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 1 of 10 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Re: question about swapping HDD's

Mar 10, 2012

I guess there is a comfort level in that it ensures you get everything. So aside from your save games, you get your pictures, and everything else.

I can think of one example that backing up makes easy. Little Big Planet actually saves the games differently than other games. If you use the backup process, it works. If you try to copy game saves, they aren't there. You have to go into Little Big Planet, manually choose to export the profile, then you can manually copy it to a thumb drive. So it can be done manually, too, but if you didn't know to do that, you might not get it backed up the manual way.

Message 2 of 10 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Mar 10, 2012

haha im glad you mentioned that to me about LBP because i just checked that out and sure enough thats the way it is lol...but all my others i have are there with all the rest as normal,wonder why they did it that way,kinda weird.

Message 3 of 10 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Mar 10, 2012

They did it that way so that when you play multiplayer, your other game profiles are accessible, no matter which account you are logged in as. So for example, my son is playing, he needs me to pop in for a 2 player area, I pop in with my sackboy decorated as in my profile. I also get credit for any items that he gets while playing through the level. I don't think this would work if the saves were in the private profile-specific storage area.

Message 4 of 10 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Mar 10, 2012

ok i see,interesting to know and thanks for that heads up,would have hated to lose everything i did in the game over a HDD upgrade..lol

Message 5 of 10 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Mar 11, 2012

well i thought i had an extension cable lol...and the sad thing is it looks like i will have to order one because it looks like nobody actually sells these in store and thats pretty sad you ask me for something so simple,not even bestbuy has them in stock..what a joke..

Message 6 of 10 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Mar 11, 2012

What extension cable are you talking about?

Message 7 of 10 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Mar 11, 2012

it's a 22pin sata cable female one end and male on the other because this 500gb drive wont fit in the ps3 it will sit in a case next to it looking all pretty but i have to order the silly thing which is a joke in my book..

Message 8 of 10 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Mar 11, 2012

Oh, ok. I was focused on your backup question. So I can see why you want to use the larger drive, but why not continue to use it for backing things up and just get a cheap drive that fits? If you price shop, you can probably get one for maybe as low as around $50 that is tons bigger than your current drive, and it will fit, and you will still have your 500GB for backups. Just a thought.

Message 9 of 10 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Mar 11, 2012

thats probably what i will actually end up doing now,just sounded like a fun thing to do until i realized i didn't have that cable and since the only way to get one is order it online might as well just get another hdd that fits lol..

Message 10 of 10 (9 Views)
0 Likes