MVP Support
13655 posts

Re: psvita and at&t

Jul 11, 2011

In order to make your Phone a wifi hotspot without hacks and such, you would need a phone that has Android OS 2.3 (I don't think 2.2 has it).

At least, that's the only way I know how to.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 31 of 43 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1846 posts

Jul 12, 2011

Please link this podcast for your source or it didn't happen.

Get your Portable ID!
Motorstorm 80GB Bundle w/ 320GB HDD
Message 32 of 43 (3 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Jul 12, 2011

How would I link a podcast?

Message 33 of 43 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1846 posts

Jul 12, 2011

I'm sure IGN has a webpage for this supposed podcast. They do for all of their dumb podcasts (personally I hate podcasts).

Get your Portable ID!
Message 34 of 43 (3 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Jul 12, 2011

Ok lots of questions let me try to explain as well as I can (First disclamer the product is only 97% complete everything is subject to change)

Question 1. Why at&t? :

The reason is (acording to the ign podcast that featured the sony CEO. 'Forgot his name'') even though Some consumers have problems with AT&T (not myself I own an iphone 4 and have less problems than anyone I know) It is THE FASTEST 3G in all of America it doesnt matter if you like that or not its true! They also have the most and the fastist WiFi Hotspots (so if you walk into one with an AT&T device you connect instantly for free) 

Question 2. Why cant we pick our carrier?:

The reason is all about the contracts baby! To explain if you could pick to go with any carrier if there was ever a glitch with lets say your friends you would mostlikly blame it on the carrier then your friend would switch to the same carrier as you and that wouldnt be so easy due to technical diffrences in the carriers (firmware ect) you would need a totaly diffrent PS Vita (now think about all the moms or people going into gamestop trying to understand why there are so many diffrent PS Vitas, they would get so confused they would say eff it and go and grab a 3DS.)

Question 3. Just cuz I get the 3G enabled PS Vita (for $300) I dont wanna be forced into a 3G data plan.

It wasnt really a question but a GREAT consern but you can lie it to rest.... Again think about all the people walking into a game stop they get there PS Vita and boom a cantract starts to print and another $50 bucks is added to the $300 price tag They get pissed and walk away and tell there friends how stupid sony is! So (according to the interview podcast) Sony is working hard to make a lets say pay as you go kinda deal (much like playstation pluse you go to the store buy lets say a $20 card you type the number in and boom you get 6 months of 3G, but you NEVER have to do that)

So I hope that helps and that eases your mind a little I full understand why you would worry (phone companies are asse's!!) But you have to remember its not a cell phone its only data and also you have to remember not every consumer is going to understand so thats why video gaming is so flexable rather than a cell phone deal where people expect to have to always pay.

I plan to get the 3G PS Vita day one but I do not see my self using 3G more than once inless all my friends get a PS Vita, and I can garentee you they will handle the 3G just like PlayStation Pluse where its there but you never have to use it. Enjoy and BEYOND!

here is the best link I could find to the interview with ign and the sony ceo (your better off looking up itunes) http://n4g.com/news/784028/ign-e3-2011-podcast-beyond-and-a-sony-president

Message 35 of 43 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Jul 12, 2011

blue23kid wrote:

Question 2. Why cant we pick our carrier?:

The reason is all about the contracts baby! To explain if you could pick to go with any carrier if there was ever a glitch with lets say your friends you would mostlikly blame it on the carrier then your friend would switch to the same carrier as you and that wouldnt be so easy due to technical diffrences in the carriers (firmware ect) you would need a totaly diffrent PS Vita (now think about all the moms or people going into gamestop trying to understand why there are so many diffrent PS Vitas, they would get so confused they would say eff it and go and grab a 3DS.)

Firmware may  not be a problem, there are many cellphones that are not carrier locked and you can just switch SIM cards, we have yet to see if that is the case. If Sony allow AT&T to make changes to the PSV firmware to brand it (I doubt it) then it would be locked to them.

About the podcast, just post the link to it, all podcasts come with links or else how would we get them? Or if anything what is the name of the podcast?

Message 36 of 43 (3 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Jul 12, 2011

Sorry I didnt fully explain about firmware I mean like when sony needs to update something, like normaly every ps3 is the same so they all use the same firmware same with psp and iphone you get the one right for your phone but it would be tricky I think to make multiple updates and have the consumer with no problems that kinda thing.  Also I think the psvita will have a sim card like all at&t products with 3G or 4G but I think at&t is the only one with a sim card right? So I can see some problems there to.

As for the podcast the best link I could find is at the bottom but Ill look again, Really you should be able to find it if you just search ign podcasts/ BEYOND and the one that says 

E3 2011: Podcast Beyond and a Sony President

Message 37 of 43 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
682 posts

Jul 12, 2011

Shadelon wrote:

Geeze is there any smartphone from ATT that can do it? Without hacking, preferably.

Get your Portable ID!

There are, but you have to buy a data plan that includes tethering. Usually another $25/month or so.

Message 38 of 43 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
682 posts

Jul 12, 2011

AT&T and T-Mobile are part of the global GSM standard and use SIM cards. Neither Sprint nor Verizon use this technology.

Let me try again since the further comments indicate you guys either aren't reading or don't understand what I said above. If you get an iPhone for AT&T or a PSV with AT&T service, and you are going on a European vacation, you can stop in a Vodaphone store in the airport and prepay for service, get a SIM and swap the SIM in your iPhone or PSV and it will work. This is not true of Verizon nor Sprint technology. This is why Sony chose AT&T. It's also why the iPhone came out on AT&T first. It's not hard to understand: more versions equals more overhead costs. It is much more profitable for Sony to design and manufacture one PSV that will work in >90% of the countries around the world than make at least four versions (China has proprietary 3G, Verizon's technology is only shared by about 6 other countries, WiMax (Clear's technology), and of course GSM).

Message 39 of 43 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7402 posts

Jul 13, 2011

radix023 wrote:

AT&T and T-Mobile are part of the global GSM standard and use SIM cards. Neither Sprint nor Verizon use this technology.

Let me try again since the further comments indicate you guys either aren't reading or don't understand what I said above. If you get an iPhone for AT&T or a PSV with AT&T service, and you are going on a European vacation, you can stop in a Vodaphone store in the airport and prepay for service, get a SIM and swap the SIM in your iPhone or PSV and it will work. This is not true of Verizon nor Sprint technology. This is why Sony chose AT&T. It's also why the iPhone came out on AT&T first. It's not hard to understand: more versions equals more overhead costs. It is much more profitable for Sony to design and manufacture one PSV that will work in >90% of the countries around the world than make at least four versions (China has proprietary 3G, Verizon's technology is only shared by about 6 other countries, WiMax (Clear's technology), and of course GSM).

oh wow now i understand their decision

Message 40 of 43 (3 Views)
0 Likes