Uncharted Territory
1846 posts

Re: psvita and at&t

Jul 10, 2011

I said it works when there is no 3G coverage, not WiFi coverage. You got mixed up.

Get your Portable ID!
Motorstorm 80GB Bundle w/ 320GB HDD
Message 21 of 43 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Jul 10, 2011

Shadelon wrote:

I said it works when there is no 3G coverage, not WiFi coverage. You got mixed up.

No I didn't, I was telling you how they work. The whole point of the mifi type units is that they turn wifi into 3G so you can connect anywhere, you staement about them not using 3G was incorrect except when you want to just use them to connect to several people in a small, then you can use them as a normal wifi hub, but if you need to connect to the rest of the world they use 3G.

Message 22 of 43 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1846 posts

Jul 10, 2011

I read a review for the thing that read the person lived in a non-3G coverage zone. It worked for them as a mobile wifi hotspot, even though they did not have any 3G coverage at all. I read that as it not needing 3G. 3G just makes it better.

I looked at the thing on orders from my girlfriend because it would seem to work better for us if we decide we need that connectivity, so we don't have to trade up from the WiFi model Vita. As I do with all devices like that I looked through the reviews. All of them.

Get your Portable ID!
Message 23 of 43 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Jul 10, 2011

Shadelon wrote:

I read a review for the thing that read the person lived in a non-3G coverage zone. It worked for them as a mobile wifi hotspot, even though they did not have any 3G coverage at all. I read that as it not needing 3G. 3G just makes it better.

I looked at the thing on orders from my girlfriend because it would seem to work better for us if we decide we need that connectivity, so we don't have to trade up from the WiFi model Vita. As I do with all devices like that I looked through the reviews. All of them.

Upon further review there are some versions that will use 2G signals, and then that version was probably using just the GPRS (2G) signal, all of them need a cellphone signal, 3G being faster than 2G. But the transfer speeds would be worse and the data costs would be higher.

Message 24 of 43 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1846 posts

Jul 10, 2011

2G? You know I always wondered what happened to 1G and 2G haha.

How would I get a smartphone to act as a mobile hotspot? I remember reading I could do it with my old BlackJack 2 but never tried it. How would that work? Could I do it with a Solstice 2 (my new phone)?

If I could do that, then Elsa and I wouldn't even need to bother getting a MiFi.

Get your Portable ID!
Message 25 of 43 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Jul 10, 2011

Shadelon wrote:

2G? You know I always wondered what happened to 1G and 2G haha.

How would I get a smartphone to act as a mobile hotspot? I remember reading I could do it with my old BlackJack 2 but never tried it. How would that work? Could I do it with a Solstice 2 (my new phone)?

If I could do that, then Elsa and I wouldn't even need to bother getting a MiFi.

From what I have just read of that phone no you can not use it as a hotspot. It does not have a wifi antenna, it has bluetooth so you might be able to use it to connect a PSPgo to the internet, but I can not find out if it uses the Dial Up networking Protocol that is needed for this.

Message 26 of 43 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1846 posts

Jul 10, 2011

Well Elsa wants to get an iPhone. Could that do it?

Get your Portable ID!
Message 27 of 43 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
682 posts

Jul 11, 2011

It's with AT&T because AT&T is on the global standard of GSM. Sony only has to have one design and it will work all around the world (four or five bands?). Sprint and Verizon are both using different technologies that do not have the same economies of scale and global reach. As LTE becomes standard, that will matter less, but LTE won't be real for most of the US until the end of 2012.

This is the same reason the iPhone came out on GSM and added the CDMA only later (and some say because of the Android inroads on market share).

Message 28 of 43 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Jul 11, 2011

Shadelon wrote:

Well Elsa wants to get an iPhone. Could that do it?

I have just looked this up and it seems that it will but only if you hack/jailbreak it.

Message 29 of 43 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1846 posts

Jul 11, 2011

Geeze is there any smartphone from ATT that can do it? Without hacking, preferably.

Get your Portable ID!
Message 30 of 43 (4 Views)
0 Likes