First Son
1 posts

Re: psvita and at&t

Jun 8, 2011

Good option.

I'm planning to save for the PSVITA Wi-fi version and get online throught the metod you mention it.

AT&T covers most of USA but the reception is awful, we should be able to choose carrier.

Message 11 of 43 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Jun 8, 2011

Just remember if you get the WiFi only option you wont gert the GPS.

Message 12 of 43 (3 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jun 8, 2011

CaptainHuggyface wrote:

That is not correct, every PS Vita has GPS.

http://us.playstation.com/psvita/tech-specs/

Message 13 of 43 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Jun 8, 2011

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

CaptainHuggyface wrote:

That is not correct, every PS Vita has GPS.

Look at my reply to your other post, it is in the press release.

Message 14 of 43 (3 Views)
0 Likes
tns
Sackboy
478 posts

Jun 10, 2011

I haven't seen anywhere if or what the AT&T connection will cost.

As an example, when the original Barnes&Noble Nook came out it had Free AT&T connection, but of course that has limited use of the AT&T network. 

Perhaps basic AT&T connection will be free with PS VITA or perhaps you will have to pay for certain types of access or MBytes transferred.

Message 15 of 43 (3 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1243 posts

Jun 11, 2011

It really depends on the scope of what the 3g will be used for, if its just for street pass and location based services then it might be nominal. But if sony intends on 3G being used for more intensive data usage then AT&T are going to have both hands and a foot in your money pocket and a vacuum hose hooked directly up to your bank account.

My guess is that it will likely be similar to the plans offered for iPad.

No contract required! Just choose one of our data plans* with your purchase:

250MB data $14.99/mo.

2GB data $25.00/mo.

Regardless, one thing can be cirtain. No matter what plan they offer it will not be nealy enough bandwidth for the price you will pay. Playing games online for an active gamer far exceeds 2gb per month. combine video, music, PS Store downloads, etc. and your looking at what AT&T is looking forward to being a proverbial cash cow.

Message 16 of 43 (3 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13615 posts

Jun 12, 2011

WoolySpud wrote:

It really depends on the scope of what the 3g will be used for, if its just for street pass and location based services then it might be nominal. But if sony intends on 3G being used for more intensive data usage then AT&T are going to have both hands and a foot in your money pocket and a vacuum hose hooked directly up to your bank account.

My guess is that it will likely be similar to the plans offered for iPad.

No contract required! Just choose one of our data plans* with your purchase:

250MB data $14.99/mo.

2GB data $25.00/mo.

Regardless, one thing can be cirtain. No matter what plan they offer it will not be nealy enough bandwidth for the price you will pay. Playing games online for an active gamer far exceeds 2gb per month. combine video, music, PS Store downloads, etc. and your looking at what AT&T is looking forward to being a proverbial cash cow.

I do not believe the 3G is intended for playing online in the first place. It's more for the other features. It's just not feasible IMO.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 17 of 43 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
51 posts

Jul 10, 2011

i would have to disagree AT&T have the fastes 3g network (or so i heard) and i have a 3g modem and play flawless on my ps3 with it, its great for gaming also, so yes i think the purpose for 3g in the psvita will be for gaming anywhere.

Message 18 of 43 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1846 posts

Jul 10, 2011

I know the "3G modem" you're referring to. The MiFi Mobile Hotspot? If so, that thing is not exactly 3G. It can use 3G but it's based on WiFi. Or something else. So it works even in areas where there is no 3G coverage. It doesn't work entirely on 3G alone. That would be impossible. As stated by a Sony rep in one of the videos on IGN I believe, there is simply not enough bandwidth on 3G for a 10 player online multiplayer match on Killzone or something. I'd have to dig up the video. But it sounds about right to me. 4G might be able to do it, but 3G really doesn't have the bandwidth. If it did, you'd be adding a vacuum cleaner hose to your pockey for ATT as has been said. That would go over your data cap so fast it would make you dizzy.

Get your Portable ID!
Motorstorm 80GB Bundle w/ 320GB HDD
Message 19 of 43 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Jul 10, 2011

Shadelon wrote:

I know the "3G modem" you're referring to. The MiFi Mobile Hotspot? If so, that thing is not exactly 3G. It can use 3G but it's based on WiFi. Or something else. So it works even in areas where there is no 3G coverage. It doesn't work entirely on 3G alone. .....

These devices work as wifi hubs for 3G or 4G signals, so the PS3 connects to it via wifi and then the signal is then carried over the cellphone network as 3G/4G data, which is why they work when there is no wifi coverage nearby.

Message 20 of 43 (3 Views)
0 Likes