Jun 07 2011
By: gmr4life619 First Son 1 posts

psvita and at&t

42 replies 55 views Edited Jun 7, 2011

The first thing that pops in my head of the AT&T exclusivity is why? Why would Sony limit us, the consumer on the selection of which carrier we can pick the PSVita. Without taking into account the financial reason,  what other reason is there to lock our choice to just AT&T. Sony hasn't read the multiple complaints of AT&T's network from Iphone owners.( In interest of fairness I'm a Verizon customer and have an android phone). I just don't see this agreement between Sony and AT&T being beneficial for the consumer. What I don't want to happen is that I will be forced to get a data plan with the purchase of a PSVita, and no I don't want to pay for even a month of data. Here are AT&T's plans 200Mg $15 a month, 2 gigs $25 a month, 4 gigs $45 a month. I already have a $30 monthly unlimited plan I don't need another with a different carrier, I want choice and  flexibility from Sony. I know that it's early to know the whole scope of the agreement,  it makes me uneasy when at this huge event Sony didn't reveal the specifics when it's so important for us to know.  I ask am I jumping the gun worrying over nothing or am I just in raising this question?

PS : I want a PSVita 3g and wi-fi version with a choice of carries, not just wi-fi this is why I made this post.

Message 4 of 43 (55 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15344 posts

Re: psvita and at&t

Jun 7, 2011

I don't see why they wouldn't, at least, limit the carriers to Verizon and AT&T. The Xperia Play was a Verizon exlusive, at least from what I know.

Imperator Danknovaxperaux Divi filius Imp XIII Pont Max Trib Pot XLIX Cos CXVI Primus Signiferi Box-xy Princeps Moderatores Pater Forum

Fabulous!
Message 1 of 43 (55 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
68 posts

Jun 7, 2011

I agree with you, sony sould of gave us choices to pick what carrier we want to the PSvita since not everybody likes AT&T, I am a tmobile guy and i have no complaints about their network. Also since they limited me to an wifi only version of NGP then i will just get a mobile hotspot from my mobile carrier and be mobile like that but wish i could eliminate the middle device since that is extra money and extra thing to charge.

Message 2 of 43 (55 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
35 posts

Jun 7, 2011

i am like other people here i have verizon and hate att but they only have 3 option so heres some thing to point out 1 att and tmobile are gsm networks wich are used ever where where as verizon and sprint are cdma and not in alot of country so that why i think they went with att and att is buying out tmobile so sprint is soso but not that great and verizon is only in a few countrys

Message 3 of 43 (55 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Jun 7, 2011

gmr4life619 wrote:

The first thing that pops in my head of the AT&T exclusivity is why? Why would Sony limit us, the consumer on the selection of which carrier we can pick the PSVita. Without taking into account the financial reason,  what other reason is there to lock our choice to just AT&T. Sony hasn't read the multiple complaints of AT&T's network from Iphone owners.( In interest of fairness I'm a Verizon customer and have an android phone). I just don't see this agreement between Sony and AT&T being beneficial for the consumer. What I don't want to happen is that I will be forced to get a data plan with the purchase of a PSVita, and no I don't want to pay for even a month of data. Here are AT&T's plans 200Mg $15 a month, 2 gigs $25 a month, 4 gigs $45 a month. I already have a $30 monthly unlimited plan I don't need another with a different carrier, I want choice and  flexibility from Sony. I know that it's early to know the whole scope of the agreement,  it makes me uneasy when at this huge event Sony didn't reveal the specifics when it's so important for us to know.  I ask am I jumping the gun worrying over nothing or am I just in raising this question?

PS : I want a PSVita 3g and wi-fi version with a choice of carries, not just wi-fi this is why I made this post.

It may not make a lot of sense for the consumer but it made a lot of sense to Sony as AT&T would have paid for the privilege and they were probably the highest bidder.

Also for those wanting the choice Sony would have had to put different hardware onto the motherboard depending on the cellphone service provider, AT&T and Verizon use different signal encoding methods and this is at the hardware level so the decision had to be made before the design went into the bulk manufacturing process. Sony would have liked it less having 3 models on sale depending on whether you want 3G or not and which provider you wanted, there would have been more confusion and higher costs.

Message 5 of 43 (55 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1243 posts

Jun 7, 2011

AT&T Paid money out the ass for exclusivity, My guessing is that part of the decision was based on leveraging the Money gained by the exclusivity deal to lower the consumer's entry cost for the hardware. For everything included in the Vita, 249 and 299 is insanely well priced.

That being said, im not thrilled by the exclusivity deal... I just canceled my AT&T home phone and DSL and switched to Cable internet because AT&T imposed rediculously restrictive data caps for land line DSL. and i dont really want to be saddled with the prospect of crawling back to them for 3G service on my vita.

Message 6 of 43 (55 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
989 posts

Jun 7, 2011

So the 3G model is more expesive to buy AND you have to play AT&T a monthly fee? how is that good for anyone?

I'm no troll, I just dont like you.
Message 7 of 43 (55 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Jun 7, 2011

This is a bad decision for Sony. It's like when I look at Microsoft and simply se M$. Exclusivity to a network is cutting out their customer base, hopefully they'll make a 4G version for the "fastest 4G network" (*cough* Verizon *cough*).

Message 8 of 43 (55 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8032 posts

Jun 8, 2011

If they indeed stick with this plan even with the backlash they are getting then we will see it in the lack of 3G SKU's being sold.  at&t service fails where I live.

IMO this sounds more like a good business deal rather than a good deal for the consumers.  I don't recal Sony ever asking me what I would prefer as a consumer who would have been interested in a 3G mobile gaming device.  The coice was made for me so my only coice is the wifi only option.  I'm at least glad I still have that as an option.  If we only had 1 SKU with at&t service contract that would have spelled NO Vita for me.

Message 9 of 43 (55 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
28 posts

Jun 8, 2011

just buy the wi-fi, keep your droid, set up wifi center, problem solved. the AT&T rights had to effect cost, cause at 250 it's cheaper then most phones and does far more. Already plan on getting one.

gump.jpg

Message 10 of 43 (55 Views)
0 Likes