Sackboy
575 posts

Re: psvita and at&t

Jul 14, 2011

gmr4life619 wrote:

The first thing that pops in my head of the AT&T exclusivity is why? Why would Sony limit us, the consumer on the selection of which carrier we can pick the PSVita. Without taking into account the financial reason,  what other reason is there to lock our choice to just AT&T. Sony hasn't read the multiple complaints of AT&T's network from Iphone owners.( In interest of fairness I'm a Verizon customer and have an android phone). I just don't see this agreement between Sony and AT&T being beneficial for the consumer. What I don't want to happen is that I will be forced to get a data plan with the purchase of a PSVita, and no I don't want to pay for even a month of data. Here are AT&T's plans 200Mg $15 a month, 2 gigs $25 a month, 4 gigs $45 a month. I already have a $30 monthly unlimited plan I don't need another with a different carrier, I want choice and  flexibility from Sony. I know that it's early to know the whole scope of the agreement,  it makes me uneasy when at this huge event Sony didn't reveal the specifics when it's so important for us to know.  I ask am I jumping the gun worrying over nothing or am I just in raising this question?

PS : I want a PSVita 3g and wi-fi version with a choice of carries, not just wi-fi this is why I made this post.

I agree with you.  I am also a Verizon customer (Palm Pre Plus) and I don't want to have to settle for AT&T.  Unfortunately, that was the best network for Sony to choose.  To start off, AT&T is the largest cellular network in America, serving more customers than any other provider.  Secondly, they use GSM wireless technology, as does T-Mobile and just about every European carrier.  This allows 3G use abroad and allows Sony to produce one uniform system, and not different versions for different regions.  Maybe further down the road Sony will make a CDMA version for Verizon, but it will most likely be many years.

PS2: Yes
PSP: Yes
PS3: Yes 60GB (YLOD 11-23-10)
320GB Move Bundle
PSN: BlueNight

Get your Portable ID!
Message 41 of 43 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
682 posts

Jul 14, 2011

Slight correction: AT&T has the largest network in terms of amount of mobile data traffic carried, but Verizon is still the largest carrier in the US in terms of number of subscribers (that will change if the AT&T T-Mobile merger goes through).

Message 42 of 43 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Splicer
51 posts

Aug 7, 2011

i know this might be old, and outdated, but i just had to say something. I have an android, from HTC, idk if the carrier matters, but i can use my smartphone as a wireless hotspot, using my own "4G" data plan....so yes... i have a mytouch 4G, if that helps

Message 43 of 43 (8 Views)
0 Likes