Apr 10 2013
By: XSophia_EsteedX Splicer 91 posts
Accepted Solution

ps4 is great but one concern

[ Edited ]
20 replies 365 views Edited Apr 10, 2013

im hearing alot of people saying the ps4 will block used games while the other 2 systems will not block them is this really true?i am geting random answers from people one person tells me no and another tells me yes please tell me the ps4 wont block use games it will really hurt the company... =(

Wii u peed on sony
Message 1 of 21 (365 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1616 posts

Re: ps4 is great but one concern

[ Edited ]
Apr 10, 2013

The amount of money that gamestop makes should make it clear that a lot of people buy used games. And they want to buy a console that can play them. If one can, and the other one can’t, the one that can gets a marked advantage in the core market.This rumor, if true, is being driven by greed, which is blinding them for seeing the potential income streams they are cutting off. If this is implemented, I will not buy their console. The concept of renting games before you buy, gamefly, all of that all down the drain. I highly doubt it's true and is just a rumor.

Message 2 of 21 (355 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4292 posts

Apr 10, 2013
Message 3 of 21 (346 Views)
Splicer
91 posts

Apr 10, 2013

i really hope your right that its only a rumor and not true because if it does block used games i will probably have to go with another console like wii u im not rich im a country person and i cant afford to buy brand spanking new games everytime i goto gamestop dont get me wrong i love sony and there ps3 but making the ps4 block used games will drive people away from the ps4 and focus on geting another console like wii u or 720 in my case i will be geting a wii u if this turns out to be true i dont like MS...

Wii u peed on sony
Message 4 of 21 (343 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Apr 10, 2013

Its true that Sony has a patent that blocks used games from being used.

It is NOT TRUE that Sony will employ it on the PS4.

Sony has already stated that they are not going to block used games.

Just because a company files for a patent, does not mean that they are going to instill whatever it is they filed. Im not familiar with patents, but im pretty sure they need to be approved anyhow and if there is an approval process no confirmation was ever made.
As far as I know, the only documents that exist on this patent are simply applications.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 5 of 21 (338 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
91 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 10, 2013

im sorry but i dont trust most websites on the internet thats the way i am i want to hear it directly from sony themselfs not some random website i rarely visit i need more proof then that to make me believe anything and you saidf sony already said it will not block used games?give me the link please so i can read it..

Wii u peed on sony
Message 6 of 21 (335 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4292 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 10, 2013

XSophia_EsteedX wrote:

im sorry but i dont trust most websites on the internet thats the way i am i want to hear it directly from sony themselfs not some random website i rarely visit i need more proof then that to make me believe anything and you saidf sony already said it will not block used games?give me the link please so i can read it..

Yet you still believe in these rumors. The PS4 will play used games. It's a fact.

Message 7 of 21 (316 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
91 posts

Apr 10, 2013

i never said i believed in a rumor i said people was giving me random answers i never said i believed it but a rumor means it can or might not can play used games where did i say i believed anything?i said if it turned out to be true i will get a wii u and a website saying ps4 can play used game is the same thing as a website saying it wont play used games i dont believe any of this stuuf..

Wii u peed on sony
Message 8 of 21 (310 Views)
Last Guardian
11743 posts

Apr 10, 2013

Here's a link from a trusted source that points to Sony's own Worldwide president, Shuhei Yoshida, commenting on the fact that PlayStation 4 will play used games:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/playstation-4-will-play-used-games-6404263

The scare of PlayStation 4 not playing used games went around months before the PlayStation 4 was even announced. But at the time of its presentation gamers were naturally wondering about this rumor, which has since been squashed. Here's another link covering the story pertaining to Sony's patent on blocking used games:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/sony-patents-tech-to-block-used-games-6401992

Message 9 of 21 (288 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Apr 10, 2013

Lets put it this way.....

Sony will be at E3 spilling its guts about the PS4..... this will happen June 13th IIRC. 

The PS4's launch date, is most certainly going to be between September and November. Historically, Sony has always launched a console in the middle of November.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it until more information is available during those times. 

The only thing you're going to read at the moment is almost pure speculation and rumor, unless it an interview with someone associated with Sony in some way.

If you're saving money towards the PS4 and looking for reassurance.... 1) Save money anyway 2) there are never reassurances until the horse speaks (the horse being Sony)

In any case, heres a bone
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Sony+will+not+block+used+games

Every link on the first page should quell your worry.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 10 of 21 (287 Views)
0 Likes