Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
I Only Post Everything
1084 posts

Re: ps4 backwards compatibility

Apr 25, 2013

I know they take a loss at first for consoles for about 2 years if I remember the the review from playstation mag they had years back. But we have a catch 22 here. If they do not develope it like the mass of people want and downgrade it for cost what happens when only the hard core people buy it and the mass do not want it. Than development for it and game companys come to a crawl if not at all. Remember what people said about the vita when it launched without a lot of what they implyed that it would do. It is still suffering from it. They really need to find out what will make it sell the most units first and formost. And that is up to the customer not the company. I do not know for sure but if BC causes the mass to buy something other than, then they will suffer more than the loss of what BC would have coust them to began with. BC was one of the things that made Sony stand out from the rest. With most games multi platform now people may just buy any system that is the cheepest because they are all about the same. Or not buy at all. See the customer controlls this, not Sony. I have been gaming for over 25 years and I most likely will not buy because of this. If to many think the same it is going to be a hard road to travel for gaming on top of the hard times they are allready having. Only time will tell.

Happy Gaming. 

Please use plain text.
Message 81 of 112 (160 Views)
Lombax Warrior
119 posts

Apr 25, 2013
@Icestar10
Atari2600,Atari5200, Atari7800, Colecovision, Commodore64, Nintendo Entertainment System,
Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, Super Famicom, Turbografx16, TurbografxCD,
TurboDuo, Sega Master System, Sega Mark III, Sega Genesis, Sega Mega drive, Sega CD, MegaCD,
Sega Pico, Sega Game Gear, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance,
Nintendo DS, Nintendo DS lite, Nintendo DSi, Nintendo DSi XL, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo 3DS XL,
Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, NeoGeo, NeoGeoCD, Phillips CDi, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo Wii U,
Sega 32X, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo 64
Please use plain text.
Message 82 of 112 (158 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11808 posts

Apr 25, 2013

Icestar10 wrote:

I wonder if PS2 emulation is possible or not. What do you all think?

What are you talking about? Of course it's possible.

I use a PS2 emulator on my PC. I ripped my own BIOS from my PS2 so it's perfectly fine, I just pop my PS2 discs into my computer and play.

My PS2's DVD drive is shot, so I won't replace it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 83 of 112 (151 Views)
PlayStation MVP
7918 posts

Apr 25, 2013

Phillyblunz wrote:
I'm talking about games where you buy the PS3 version and get the Vita version for free, they are cross play titles, you can continue your game on the Vita when you leave the house and resume on PS3 when you get home again.

If you compare the PS3 and PS Vita versions of Sly 4, you'll see that the graphics are rendered significantly better on the PS3.  The Vita graphics in Sly 4 look outstanding on their own, but if you look at a side-by-side comparison, the PS3 graphics are vastly superior.

If you look at the size of the games, it becomes even clearer.  The Vita version is less than 4GB.  The PS3 version is over 18GB.

You aren't playing the PS3 version of the game on the Vita or vice-versa.  The Game Save files are compatible (technically, it's called a 'unified save system'), but that's the only thing that transfers from one system to the other.

Please use plain text.
Message 84 of 112 (151 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1084 posts

Apr 26, 2013

Wow Tsuko-blue I got so use to having what I got now that I forgot how many there where between then and now. I have had most but not all of them between me and my son who is grown up and buying his own now. Does anyone remember the Saga channel on cable. That was a lot of fun at the time also. Play all you want antime you want. 

Hi Glaciusx25. I want to do the ps2 thing on pc myself. Been thinking of it for a while. I would ask of any place for instructions but it may not be wise on here. Games would look a lot better on pc screen than HD TV. There have so many jaggy edges on flat screen. I will ask my son also. He codes for a living now. But I would enjoy that.

Happy Gaming.

Please use plain text.
Message 85 of 112 (137 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Apr 26, 2013

StvnWllms wrote:

I totally agree with you! A system advancement or upgrade should be able to play anything that came just before it, just like my Blu-Ray player being able to play DVD's and CDs!

Why throw out the baby with the bathwater?

I intend to get the PS4 when it comes out, but like you, I'm not happy about this incompaibility issue.

With your analogy to the CD/DVD/Blu-Ray discs all being played on your Blu-Ray player, you're talking about compression/decompression of video/music files, not running executable program code.  As long as you have the right laser to read the disc, and the ability to decompress the files on those discs (something that is NOT CPU architechture dependent), then it can be done.

Running the executable code of different videogame systems is an ENTIRELY different beast.  

The best analogy to use is that PS1, PS2, PS3, and PS4 games are different written languages, and the discs are forms of paper.  Just because the PS3 language is written on the same books as the PS4 language is written, it doesn't mean that someone who can read PS4 is able to read PS3.

PS3 is like ancient Sanskrit, while the PS4 is like English.  Wondering why the PS4 can't play PS3 games when both systems use a Blu-Ray disc is like wondering why someone who can read English can't read Sanskrit when both are written in a book?

The CD/DVD/Blue-Ray analogy is like having a book with different colored text in it, but all the same language.  As long as you can see the color, you can read the text.

Please use plain text.
Message 86 of 112 (124 Views)
First Son
12 posts

Apr 26, 2013
I agree with you if it doesn't have BC FOR PS3 I will not be buying it until it has a game worth paying for it otherwise it will be a waste of money. Having BC for PS3 will help its sales in the beginning because there won't be many games to play in it.
Please use plain text.
Message 87 of 112 (91 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Apr 26, 2013
So the system that started B C is not going to have it but It's competition sounds like they will. I wonder who is making a mistake because it sure looks like the competitor learned something from Sony but Sony is ignoring it.
Please use plain text.
Message 88 of 112 (80 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7918 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 26, 2013

jwdwick wrote:
So the system that started B C is not going to have it but It's competition sounds like they will. I wonder who is making a mistake because it sure looks like the competitor learned something from Sony but Sony is ignoring it.

So you won't buy a non-b/c PS4 for $450-500.

Would you buy a b/c PS4 for $900-1,000?

Because that's what Sony would need to charge for it to break even, given that the people 'requiring' B/C are a vast minority.  While you are saying Microsoft learned from Sony that B/C is a 'must', I would say that Sony learned from Sony that putting a higher priced product on the shelf does not sell well.  From what I've been reading, the NextBox is also making a major change in hardware architecture and it is looking unlikely that it will be backward compatible.

As has been beaten to death:  Your PS3 will not magically disappear if you buy a PS4.  There is nothing wrong with having multiple generations of Playstation consoles connected to the same TV.  It is your choice whether or not to buy a PS4 at launch (though if it's anything like previous console launches, you may not be able to FIND a PS4 at launch).

FYI, the PS2 was NOT the first game console to include B/C with previous generations.  That would be the Atari 5200, which was backward compatible with the Atari 2600 (and the Atari 7800 was b/c with both).  The Sega Genesis was also backward compatible with the Sega Master System through a $20 cartridge adapter.

The main reason for the lack of B/C on the PS4?  There is no way to emulate many functions of the Cell BBE on x86/64 hardware.  Yes, Sony has said they could emulate a number of PS3 titles on the PS4 through software, but there are a vast number of PS3 games that utilize functions of the Cell BBE which simply cannot be emulated on other hardware.

Please use plain text.
Message 89 of 112 (72 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Apr 26, 2013
Oh I don't plan on buying it at launch. I'll wait till there's enough ganesh out and let others deal with the bugs. But if it like ps3 when it came out there was not many games for it and a big bug that they never fixed. But my ps3 80 GB ($520) work great for 6 years before having yellow light of death. Now have refurbished one. So no hurry for it.
Please use plain text.
Message 90 of 112 (66 Views)
0 Likes