MVP Support
11160 posts

Re: ps4 backwards compatibility

Aug 8, 2013

uh--oh wrote:

Ex I would say then if we have to trade off then I would do so and lose backwards capability but keep the MP online free. For too long in the name of advancement or better gaming I have seen features striped to the point to where games are unrecognizable from thier first iteration. Why do we have to constantly give up something in order to move forward?

If anything has ruined gaming, it is online multiplayer.  I have read many, many times that 'if it doesn't have multplayer, it's not worth my money'.  Online Multiplayer has successfully ruined the God of War franchise.  The SP was completely unplayable at launch because the developers chose to concentrate their efforts on the out-of-place MP that came with it.

Perhaps you aren't old enough to remember the good old days of spending hours and rolls of quarters playing games where the slightest brush with an enemy (or enemy's projectile) ended your game.  Pac Man, Asteroids, Donkey Kong...  none had online multiplayer...  multiplayer meant a friend standing next to you at the arcade waiting for his turn.

THAT was where video gaming started.

Only in recent years has anything at home even approached 'arcade' quality graphics.  You want open world gaming?  Assassin's Creed, inFamous, Just Cause, Sly Cooper, Prototype, just to name a few.  Of course, you'd know about these games if you'd actually played something in the past 5 years...

Message 111 of 112 (91 Views)
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Re: ps4 backwards compatibility

Aug 8, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

uh--oh wrote:

Ex I would say then if we have to trade off then I would do so and lose backwards capability but keep the MP online free. For too long in the name of advancement or better gaming I have seen features striped to the point to where games are unrecognizable from thier first iteration. Why do we have to constantly give up something in order to move forward?

If anything has ruined gaming, it is online multiplayer.  I have read many, many times that 'if it doesn't have multplayer, it's not worth my money'.  Online Multiplayer has successfully ruined the God of War franchise.  The SP was completely unplayable at launch because the developers chose to concentrate their efforts on the out-of-place MP that came with it.

Perhaps you aren't old enough to remember the good old days of spending hours and rolls of quarters playing games where the slightest brush with an enemy (or enemy's projectile) ended your game.  Pac Man, Asteroids, Donkey Kong...  none had online multiplayer...  multiplayer meant a friend standing next to you at the arcade waiting for his turn.

THAT was where video gaming started.

Only in recent years has anything at home even approached 'arcade' quality graphics.  You want open world gaming?  Assassin's Creed, inFamous, Just Cause, Sly Cooper, Prototype, just to name a few.  Of course, you'd know about these games if you'd actually played something in the past 5 years...

Major, MAJOR kudos here!  Smiley Very Happy  I agree that MP ruined the God of War experience.  In an article that was posted a few months back, the developers somewhat admitted that they were mandated to include multiplayer in GoW : A and that in doing so resources were split between the two "camps" and they were unable to do everything they wanted to do for single player.  To this day, massive game-breaking issues exist in the SP Campaign, and becuase the so called "fix" is to delete your game and start over, the devs aren't going to spend their time on it.  Instead, they are spending every last hour on the multitude of corrections that are apparently needed in the MP part of the game.  So very, very sad.  Smiley Sad

Arcades died to the advancement in technology in the home consoles and the online multi-player aspect combined.  When I was growing up, the audio and visuals in the arcade machines were leaps and bounds above what was possible in home consoles.  Therefore, to see the latest and greatest games you had to go into an arcade.  It also meant having to socialize with others in person, and when you played a multiplayer game it was with that other person standing directly next to you.  I still have fond memories of putting my quarters up on the control panel to denote my turn in line for games like Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat.  The joys of figuring out special moves and combos on my own without the use of online guides and walkthroughs, and the trash-talking that was kept in check by the fact that you were directly next to the person you were trash talking.

It is definitely nice to wax nostalgia about the old days, but we have to accept the fact that those days are long gone and will never come back.  The "gamer" today is nothing like the gamer of our generation.  They don't need to go outside of their house to see amazing graphics and gameplay.  Their consoles already have that.  They don't need to watch what they say when online, as there are no physical repurcussions for doing so.  There is no need for them to take the time and effort to play a game to get better and to learn the moves and combos and secrets.  They can just pop up a quick gamefaqs search and get everything they need.  They have no desire to take their time to play through a game.  They want to plow through it to get their trophies/achievements and boost their "gamer cred".  They want things to be catered to their tastes, no matter the consequences or the impact to anybody else.  It's the "me first" generation, as I like to call it. 

If a console manufacturer or game developers wants to stay in business, they have to try and cater to this generation of gamers.  Nintendo has actually tried to maintain their position with regards to gaming over the generations, and while they have had a great deal of success with regards to sales of their Wii system, their overall stance in the gaming community is a poor one.

This isn't to say that the modern era of gaming is devoid of good things.  There are MANY good things which are available to us that weren't back then.  You can almost always find someone to play a game with online if you want to.  DLC is available to enhance your experience.  Game updates can be released that fix bugs in games which could not have been fixed before.  The audio and visual properties of games are absolutely stunning these days.  While we love to wax nostalgia, we can't let that blind us to the good things we have today.  While it's indeed true that there are some real stinkers out there with regards to online play, DLC, game updates, etc., we can't forget that in the "older days" there were plenty of stinkers of games out there in the arcades and the home consoles.  As rose colored as the glasses we wear may make the older days look better, you can't forget that "Every rose has its thorn."  Smiley Tongue

Message 112 of 112 (80 Views)
0 Likes