Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 07 2013
By: AHx78 First Son 1 posts

ps3 slim 320 fan or heat issue?

6 replies 144 views Edited Jul 7, 2013
Ive got a 320 slim that suddenly turns off, in about 15 min, game or xmb doesnt matter. Changed psu and fan, didnt work. A strange thing is that when i forced the fan to spinn at higher speed using the 5 volt from psu to mainboard, I use a variable resistor to set the speed, it doesnt turn off. When i enter recovery menu i can leave it for hours, doesnt turn off, even at normal fan speed, but as soon as i enter xmb it turns off. No warning, no sound, just turns directly off and the stand by light goes out. If i press power once, the red light comes up. If i press again, the system starts. I even did a reflow just in case and used arctic silver 5. Any ideas?
Message 1 of 7 (144 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2599 posts

Re: ps3 slim 320 fan or heat issue?

Jul 7, 2013
This is clearly a motherboard issue then if the PSU being changed did not help.
Message 2 of 7 (120 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 7, 2013

This is obviously a problem with your motherboard inside your PS3, I often open windows in my room and all the doors, that's how I prevent it from overheating, I also have a fan in my room:smileyhappy:

http://www.youtube.com/user/iProxyServer

Message 3 of 7 (118 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jul 7, 2013

This is obviously a problem with your motherboard inside your PS3, I often open windows in my room and all the doors, that's how I prevent it from overheating, I also have a fan in my room:smileyhappy: also try changing the PSU!

Message 4 of 7 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
9149 posts

Jul 7, 2013

iProxyServer wrote:

This is obviously a problem with your motherboard inside your PS3, I often open windows in my room and all the doors, that's how I prevent it from overheating, I also have a fan in my room:smileyhappy:

Not trying to disturb the thread... but you have to do all of that just to prevent overheating? I generally run a ceiling fan and have a cooling pad for my laptop to do that.

Is there any other way to prevent this issue? It sounds like a lot to do just to keep a PS3 from doing that.

Message 5 of 7 (98 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
240 posts

Jul 7, 2013

i agree with other posts. i just have a ceiling fan that runs at all times and havent had any issues, it gets warm but nowhere near hot like the 360 does. im not sure what i would do other than call sony and try to get fixed.

Message 6 of 7 (88 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
9149 posts

Jul 7, 2013

aceofshank027 wrote:

i agree with other posts. i just have a ceiling fan that runs at all times and havent had any issues, it gets warm but nowhere near hot like the 360 does. im not sure what i would do other than call sony and try to get fixed.

That's good :smileyhappy:. On a side note, would a floor fan be able to do a capable job of keeping a PS3 cool? Don't have a ceiling fan in the room that I'd be using the PS3 in...

Message 7 of 7 (78 Views)
0 Likes