Dec 24 2009
By: loookatme123 Monster Hunter 37 posts

ps3 shuts off 3 beeps,constant flashing red light

33 replies 52387 views Edited Dec 24, 2009

during any random time my ps3 shuts off with 3 beeps and constantly blinks red if i press the power button it goes solid red and is able to turn on again but then shuts off after about 5 mins.

any help please?

Message 1 of 34 (52,387 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3399 posts

Re: ps3 shuts off 3 beeps,constant flashing red light

Dec 24, 2009
Google: YLOD

My epic GoW3 sig got removed so you have to see my epic stats instead.
Message 2 of 34 (52,387 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
58 posts

Dec 24, 2009

seems like ur ps3 is over heated...u should let it rest for a whole day just to be on the safe side.

same thing happened tomine about 4 months ago, didnt pay attention so i had to pay 200 bucks to get it fixed by sony

but ever since its been working like a charm =]...well sorta my blu ray laser died out so i need to repair that too...=/

Photobucket
Message 3 of 34 (52,387 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3139 posts

Dec 25, 2009
your PS triple is dead or dying. I would deactivate it in the 5 minutes it stays on.

again... but at least I got my data off it and deactivated my accounts.
Message 4 of 34 (52,387 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
168 posts

Dec 25, 2009

It's going to die soon. 

I would back up everything to a flash drive or an external hard drive, depending on how much memory you've used. Hopefully it will stay on long enough to do that. Unless you have like 30GB of data... then you would need for you PS3 to stay on for about 30 min.

Or if you have another PS3 do a data transfer using an ethernet cable to connect them directly.

Otherwise, I'd suggest you buy a PS3 Slim or send your PS3 in to Sony.

penguins Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 5 of 34 (52,387 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2018 posts

Dec 25, 2009

Ahhhhhh!!!!!!!! This just happened to me also !!!! OMG...REALLY...on Xmas eve!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG...

So...All my PS Home stuff is on Sony's Servers which should be saved...otherwise I'm out close to $2000.00

Everything I downloaded game wise should be recoverable with a new PS3 too...in download history etc...

Pretty much all my photos, movies, and music I have on another laptop or external HDD...

I even keep a fan running on it to keep it cool...

So what am I gonna lose as far as data?? As long as the above is true...then I should be ok if I can repair or replace the PS3 right??

Just will have no way to play any of my 200+ PS2 games since mine was a BW Compatible Orig. 60 GB with a 250 GB HDD replaced...right??

OMG...on X-Mas eve...so typical.

Message 6 of 34 (52,387 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
168 posts

Dec 25, 2009

Your going to lose all of your game saves unless you backed them up onto an external hard drive. But you definetely lost any games that are copy protected.

You might be able to find another 80GB BC PS3, or you could find a 60GB or 20GB somewhere to play your PS2 games.

And keep your 500GB hard drive. You're going to need to reformat it though to work on a new PS3. And when you reformat it, it erases everything on it.

penguins Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 7 of 34 (52,387 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2018 posts

Dec 25, 2009

Tuxedo_Penguin wrote:

Your going to lose all of your game saves unless you backed them up onto an external hard drive. But you definetely lost any games that are copy protected.

You might be able to find another 80GB BC PS3, or you could find a 60GB or 20GB somewhere to play your PS2 games.

And keep your 500GB hard drive. You're going to need to reformat it though to work on a new PS3. And when you reformat it, it erases everything on it.

"But you definetely lost any games that are copy protected."

Like any games I have downloaded from the PSN Store?? Other than Socom Confrontation, I didn't have any DLC/Online Only games on it, just have Disc Based Games and PSN Games. No real loss on SOCOM Confr....I only bought it for the headset...got it new for 39.99.

I don't have a lot of trophies and other than just a few select games, GOW I & II, Devil May Cry 1-2-3-4, Batman AA, & Infamous, never really had any "complete" game saves...migt not be too bad replaying those games. Get more of my money's worth out of them I guess. Bummed about Soul Calibur IV though now that I think of it.

I will definitely recycle the HDD (250GB)...I may at some point try the self repair with the heat gun thing. But I think I'm just gonna hock a bunch of stuff and buy a

PS3 Slim...Anyone heard of any YLOD issues with them??

Haven't played many of my PS2 Games in a while, so I guess when times are better, I will just buy a PS2 Slim for those...

Is the PS3 Slim just as good??? Seems it should be...Just smaller/cheaper, right??

Just realized I do not remember my JP PS Home Account Password...Have to think on that for a while otherwise I'm out a couple hundred bucks there.

I have all my other info logged, so should be okay...

Man is this depressing...

Message 8 of 34 (52,387 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
629 posts

Dec 25, 2009
just let it cool down for awhile
Message 9 of 34 (52,387 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
37 posts

Dec 25, 2009
its been happening to me for the past 3 days btw ive backed up everything to a external hdd could it be dust in the fans causing it too overhead quickly?
Message 10 of 34 (52,387 Views)
0 Likes