Aug 27 2011
By: MASTODUDE30 First Son 4 posts

ps3 online in college help

7 replies 364 views Edited Aug 27, 2011

Hey i just started attending Saint Louis University and am having trouble connecting to game servers on my ps3.  SLU does not condone using ps3 or any other device that is not a computer as they kick it off their network.  When scanning I am able to find a signal from SLU that is not secure so I am able to get in to PSN, the PS store, and can surf the web.  All i have to do is open the web browser and accept the terms and conditions.  When I play games however, I can never connect to their servers.  In my forum research I believe it is because my school has firewalls blocking them.  Does anyone know how to fix this? I do not have a router.  Thanks for an help

Message 1 of 8 (364 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Re: ps3 online in college help

Aug 27, 2011

Hey man whats up best thing you can do is hook up your ps3 to the net through your laptop connection that will help bypass all of that seeing that it will not know your on the netwrok since your laptop will be the main source for the internet get it ? if you need help seeing how to share your wireless connection so that you can do it let me know and I drop some youtube links and helpful articles.

Message 2 of 8 (364 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Aug 27, 2011

if you could give me those links man that would be great

Message 3 of 8 (364 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
69 posts

Aug 27, 2011

Are you running the latest version of the Ps3 System software?  since you say it can go online enough that you can get into the PSN and store it should prompt you if you go into settings, system update, update via internet and it will tell you if you are running the latest version of that software.  I also have a PSP and I got the "Not Supported" message when I would scan for networks and try to select IUP as the network at Indiana University of Pennsylvania.  and it would also tell me that my Verizon 4G mobile Hotspot wasn't supported either but when I updated the PSP software that fixed the verizon problem but I am yet to try it on IUP's network.  That is another option you can do if you don't mind paying a monthly fee for a 5 or 10GB limit.  Your PS3 will connect to that as mine does or should I say DID before it quit working on me recently. 

Message 4 of 8 (364 Views)
0 Likes
Message 5 of 8 (364 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Aug 28, 2011

hey man i did exactly what the youtube video said and my ps3 couldnt obtain the ip address.  this is super weak

Message 6 of 8 (364 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Aug 28, 2011

Ok than did you try the article I sent you.Add me online X__POOHBEE__X

Message 7 of 8 (364 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
4 posts

Aug 28, 2011

i will add you next time i get on.  i also tried making my laptop a wifi hotspot and my ps3 could find the laptop wifi it still could not find the ip address.  do you think i need to buy a wireless router?

Message 8 of 8 (364 Views)
0 Likes