First Son
2 posts

Re: ps3 hdd database rebuild

Aug 31, 2008
had the a problem which look a lot like it but mine is just like dead.. Mine said Harddrive database needs rebuilt i pressed OK then 1 min after it said Error! system needs to be formatted before rebuilting and then it asked if I wanted to Format it i pressed YES then it asked if i was sure i pressed Yes and now its formatting at 0% and has been there for an hour! i have restarded it and done a lot of things and it doesn't work! Please help me!

Message 11 of 24 (165 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 15, 2008

My PS3 is a refurbished one Sony sent me after I sent them my first one for service. After the 90 day warrasnty was up my boy reported receiving this problem. Sony wants 150 for me to get it serviced for a second time. I bought a SATA enclosure, remoced the HDD, placed it in the enclosure and Windows read the HDD as an external one but without a partition which is the PS3 would not format it. After I created the partition I put the HDD back into the PS3 and let it format the HDD which took about 20 minutes or less. Then I upgraded the Firmware to the latest version. I started playing Tomb raider which was my birthday gift and after 30 minutes it froze. When I restarted it went back to this error message of having to rebuild the database every single time. I keep thinking it may have to do with a bad boot sector on the HDD but I am just not sure. It is cheaper and quicker to get a HDD but then again...

My PS3 is a 40GB CHECHA01 console. I bought mine and my bro-in-laws at the same time. His is is tip top condition and he transports it more than we do. Any ideas? AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Message 12 of 24 (165 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 21, 2009

Yh i have had this problem i downloaded the 2.60 update, 1st i updated it all installed it all its complete, then i thought i wud play W@W 4 a bit then i came out of the game then turned my console of by the remote as usual, then bout 10 mins l8r i turned the console on and it said hard disk databese needs to rebuild (something like tht), after tht i notcied tht all my trophies all my saved data had gone, but it still says i hav 10gb left even tho the data isnt there this has F**Ked me off big time, i have the 40gb hdd ps3, can any1 help me and do you think sony will replace it coz its the console tht jus F**Ked up

THKS Macey 

Message 13 of 24 (165 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Jan 22, 2009

You I had the same problem today. I downloaded the update. Played around with it for a while. Turned it off and on a few times throughout the day, and all of a sudden... because anything other than the usuall is "SUDDEN", and ways I turned it on and got the Needs to Rebuild Database message, since you can't select anything else you have to say sure, the damn thing might as well start the proccess for you, and now it's stuck at 43%. Not sure about everyone else. But I've had this thing since release, and I have an awfull lot of saves and information saved on here. Sony is really bitting the dust on this one here lately. Everyone was ok with settling for errors, and no vibration or force feedback, crappy browsers, no backwards compatability. I for one am getting tired of a sh!!ty product. I paid good money for both of my ps3's and I for one am getting tired of putting up with hardware failures, and dealing with features that should be included with every product they release. Not to mention PSP's have become horribly terrible. This is a system that will suffer like the Sega CD did, it's too advanced for it's time, and too few people willing to support it's hardware and software, or use it's full aray of abilities.

Sony, is there anyone in there? Hello? Think Sony, Think!

Message 14 of 24 (165 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
32 posts

May 26, 2009

Hey guys don't know if this helps but;

1. Switch off your PS3 (not from the back, the red light should be on)

2. Then press the power button and keep it pressed till you hear 3 beeps

This will bring you to the service menu where you can try to recover your PS3. Here's a link with the picture of the menu, http://playstation.joystiq.com/2008/10/18/firmware-2-50-adds-hidden-recovery-menu/

(Thanks to forum member etempest for telling me about this)

Message 15 of 24 (165 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
5755 posts

Feb 12, 2010

This happened to me about 2 years on my 60gb and everything was fine. Today it happened to my 120gb that I've had for 6 months. So far, the only difference is that it renamed all of my sorted picture, music, video and game folders. now instead of the specific album names, everything is in an "Unknown" folder. It's gonna be a massive P.I.T.A. to re-sort 400 pics!

Message 16 of 24 (165 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 24, 2010

I was sat on cod4 and the electric tripped this has happened alot lately dunno if ps3 or not so got electri back on and it came up saying it needs to rebuild database so pressed ok and been sat here for 10 minutes and still on 0% is this usual does it normally take this long if could please tell me if usually takes long or any thing that helps is grateful

Message 17 of 24 (165 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

May 27, 2010

It should only take a few minutes. But to be on the safe side some systems can take up to 1-2 hours. If it's still at 0% after an hour switch it off (using the power button).

Safe Mode:

Then switch it on with the power button but keep your finger on it, after the intial beep when you switch it on, you should then hear another beep then a double beep. After the double beep let go of the button. Connect your usb cable (it should ask you to do this) and press the PS button on the controller.

Select the 4th option, restore file system. Once that is complete and you check that everything works. Then repeat the steps for Safe Mode and select the 5th option rebuild database.

You don't need to rebuild the database if your system was able to safely restore itself but just to be on the safer side.

Hope that helps

PS: This only works if your firmware system is 2.50 or higher

Message 18 of 24 (165 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Aug 29, 2010

I'm m so sorry to hear this because while I'm writting this message the same thing is happening to me. But the reason I feel sorry for you is because your stuff got deleted.

5 MINUTES LATER

Ok it's finished. Nothing got deleted.

Only things that have changed are that my movies got renamed and moved.

Message 19 of 24 (165 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
106 posts

Aug 29, 2010
go to gophermods.com they specialize in ps3 repairs and are alot cheaper

Message 20 of 24 (165 Views)
0 Likes