Jun 14 2012
By: Madrid-CF09 First Son 4 posts

ps3 broken, no receipt?

33 replies 3682 views Edited Jun 14, 2012

here is the story, my ps3 has recently been freezing when i play video games, (netflix still works on it though). I bought this ps3 last year late july early august, so i still have about 1 month left on the warranty. the problem is i have no receipt. i know i bought this at toys r us, but wtf man. any one got an idea on what i should do? does toys r us give new receipts, and if they do, how will i get it. and will sony be nice to me and just let me send it in without a receipt, i mean there has to be a serial number or something. why would i have a receipt of a year old item. when i buy something for $300 i expect it to work for more than 9 months.

Message 1 of 34 (3,682 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28968 posts

Re: ps3 broken, no receipt?

Jun 14, 2012

Madrid-CF09 wrote:

here is the story, my ps3 has recently been freezing when i play video games, (netflix still works on it though). I bought this ps3 last year late july early august, so i still have about 1 month left on the warranty. the problem is i have no receipt. i know i bought this at toys r us, but *** man. any one got an idea on what i should do? does toys r us give new receipts, and if they do, how will i get it. and will sony be nice to me and just let me send it in without a receipt, i mean there has to be a serial number or something. why would i have a receipt of a year old item. when i buy something for $300 i expect it to work for more than 9 months.

I doubt Toys R Us will print you a new receipt, and Sony aren't going to be "swell guys" and let you slide. Here's the problem; what's to stop anyone from going into the store saying "Hey, print me a new receipt even though I have no proof"? Anybody can go on Craigslist, or even worse, steal a PS3 and get it serviced for free if they went by what you're suggesting.

Did you buy it on a credit card? If so you can go back in the credit card records and maybe you can use that.

You keep receipts for expensive items for situations just like this one. It's a contract between you and the company, and it protects you as much as it protects them. As for expecting something to work for more than nine months, there's no guaruntee that something will, which is why you save the receipt and/or bill of sale.

Message 2 of 34 (3,681 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jun 14, 2012

this makes no effing sense shouldnt a warranty be console specific considering every ps3 has a 1 year warranty. unbelievable sh*T. im gonna nag toyrs r us and sony for the next couple days and if it doesnt get fixed for free im done with playstation forever. i have been playing playstation since 2001, iv never even touched an xbox or a wii, but i have had like 7 ps2's break on me and this is my second ps3.

Message 3 of 34 (3,681 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28968 posts

Jun 14, 2012

Madrid-CF09 wrote:

this makes no effing sense shouldnt a warranty be console specific considering every ps3 has a 1 year warranty. unbelievable ****. im gonna nag toyrs r us and sony for the next couple days and if it doesnt get fixed for free im done with playstation forever. i have been playing playstation since 2001, iv never even touched an xbox or a wii, but i have had like 7 ps2's break on me and this is my second ps3.

How does it make no sense? The console IS warrantied for one year, provided you can prove you bought it. You have a one year warranty from the date of purchase. They're not going to warranty you from the date of manufacture, because the console can sit for weeks, even MONTHS before you purchase it. Then one year can become five weeks.

You can nag all you want and play the outraged gamer card to the hilt, they're going to say "tough s&$#". You have no proof. If you're going to be angry with anyone, be angry with yourself for losing your bill of sale. 

Message 4 of 34 (3,681 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jun 14, 2012

yes because the first thing i think about when i buy the hottest new gaming system with almost no failure rate(claimed by fanboys like myself even) for a big price,is keep the 2 inch receipt. i buy the slim, supposably an improvement on the fat one. i treat the ps3 like a queen.  it still breaks.(anyways, this is not my fault a family member of mine moved the ps3 box and now the receipt is gone) i still dont understand, toys r us took my personal info like my name, and shouldnt they be able to use the code on the box and my information to find the receipt in their database ? any1 with experience with something like this got an idea ?

Message 5 of 34 (3,681 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Jun 14, 2012

Theres no scenario in your mind that justifies Sony to HAVE to fix your PS3.

A reciept is not called "proof of purchase" for no reason.

Failure rate has NOTHING to do with people... it only concerns the manufacturer. For a fanboy like yourself to argue those numbers, which mean nothing to anyone except Sony and its production warehouses, its asinine. Those numbers are merely for Sony to say "Hey, our failure rates are well below market standards, we're doing good here"  or "Hey, our failure rates are at market levels or exceeding them, we need to dig up all the data from our repair centers and see whats wrong and how we can fix it"

THATS what failure rates are for. They are not cannon fodder for rageboy console forum wars.

Just because you think thats built with more reliable parts, doesnt mean its going to break at some point.

You should've paid the extra cash to buy an extended warranty for up to 3 years through the PSN when you had the chance, but no.

You obviously have not went to Toys R Us yet to find out if they can print out a new reciept for you. SO GO AND ASK. Dont be surprised if they dont do that sort of thing. Not many stores do.

In this case you have some options.... either pay Sony the $100+ to fix it, but a new PS3, buy a used PS3, or dont buy another PS3 at all.

Either case, the choice is up to you to decide whats best for yourself. You're merely preaching to the choir on this one.

You should of had the common sense to at least save the reciept in a safe place and might have purchased the extended warranty, especially when you buy any electronic device no matter how much it costs.

How did you pay for the PS3? Credit Card? cash? gift card? what?

You can blame yourself, or whatever family member moved your box. But the blame still lies on yourself for not being more consicous about your actions.

Especially when you are in such a hurry to plug the console into your TV to start raging away immediately after purchasing the thing. Again, the first thing you should have done was put the reciept in a safe place.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 6 of 34 (3,681 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2241 posts

Jun 15, 2012

Dont listen to the fanboys.  Listen to yourself, the fanboys will lie alot.

Even though sony knows its still under warranty in their computers.  You still need the receipt and more then likely your going to get your same faulty machine back as did I.  They will get it to run, but they will send it back poor to acceptable only thats it.  So that way you will have to buy another one sooner.

Its whatever God says it is, try not to let Satan trick you or lie to you. A lie can be twisted so much but its still a lie, same with tricks. Also know noone is perfect except Jesus, we all will mess up from time to time. So try not to be, to hard on yourself or others.
Message 7 of 34 (3,681 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Jun 15, 2012

Really? How does Sony know WHEN you bought your PS3?

You're an idiot..... and deserve to be called one.

Sony does not keep individual purchase information, unless you purchase from one of their Sony Style stores. I dont know of any manufacturer that does

Furiously Chaosing
Message 8 of 34 (3,681 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2241 posts

Jun 15, 2012

I dont know Grey, i called them and the knew when i bought mine.  I couldnt believe it either but i still needed reciept to turn it in.  It came back the same as i sent it in, other theni think the bluray drive got quieter though.

Believe it or not, i gave the lady my serial number on it and she told me it was still under warranty.  She knew when i bought it and everything.

Its whatever God says it is, try not to let Satan trick you or lie to you. A lie can be twisted so much but its still a lie, same with tricks. Also know noone is perfect except Jesus, we all will mess up from time to time. So try not to be, to hard on yourself or others.
Message 9 of 34 (3,681 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1362 posts

Jun 15, 2012

Madrid-CF09 wrote:

this makes no effing sense shouldnt a warranty be console specific considering every ps3 has a 1 year warranty. unbelievable ****. im gonna nag toyrs r us and sony for the next couple days and if it doesnt get fixed for free im done with playstation forever. i have been playing playstation since 2001, iv never even touched an xbox or a wii, but i have had like 7 ps2's break on me and this is my second ps3.

You must take horrible care of your consoles then.  I STILL have the fat PS2 I got for christmas in 2002 AND the fat PS1 that I got in 1997 and BOTH of them work perfectly fine.  I'm on my second PS3 but that's because I upgraded, I'm sure if I had my 80GB it would still work fine.

Make sure your consoles are in a well ventilated area, and if you notice that the fan starts getting loud really easily try finding a new place to put it or try to elevate it off of whatever surface you put it on for better air flow.

Message 10 of 34 (3,681 Views)
0 Likes