First Son
1 posts

Re: problem: ps3 not reading game disc

May 4, 2010

DOES ANYONE HAVE A SOLUTION FOR THIS CRAP???? I was playing MW2 3rd person cage match and it froze at the end of the match. I did everything everyone said in the earlier threads with no friggin success... The awful part is I live in Barbados so the thought of sending my PS3 to Sony is out of the question... So what I will do is buy a new bluray drive from eBay and hope that fixes it. I have an 80gb backwards compatible model and I totally love this thing I hope I can get it fixed... THANKS ALOT SCEA FOR NOTHING AT ALL... YOU GUYS OWE THE PPL THAT WERE LOYAL TO PLAYSTATION FROM INCEPTION SOME KIND OF EXPLANATION....SERIOUSLY ......Man Mad

THE GURU...

SNAKE OR RAIDEN... WHO IS BETTER..???

Message 51 of 79 (362 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

May 6, 2010

I've tried lots of things.. rebuilding data.. formatting.. optimizing.. cleaning lens.. etc.. Nothing works. It's sad, but I think the laser is dead.. or the lens.
I've read a lot of stuff... dudes said their 60/40Gb consoles passed away in 2 years. Mine 40Gb was bought March 26 2008.. I'm starting to believe
It sims to be common problem for old consoles with one-lens blueray drive. Newer ones have two lens in the drive.
In my country sony offers to change broken drive for 30% of console price. But it would be the same old one-lens drive. So I'll better just buy new slim and sell broken on eBay.

Aaand I've found some extreme solution. It's possible to buy two lens module from eBay that will be compatible with old 60/40Gb consoles. That modules produced by some chinese guys who quickly got the point and offered acceptable solution. I've read a lot forums with positive feedbacks on this modules and found a guy in my town who repairs fat consoles with this chinese two-lens modules and he gives half year warranty for this chinese stuff. And authorized service in my town gives only 3 month warranty when replacing BD drive. The price is 50-70$ on eBay and do-it-yourself... and that guy takes aprox. 120$ for all stuff.. ordering from eBay and repairing. It should be possible to find some workshops that do such chinese repair easily on your local forums. I think this solution could be an option. But I'm too old for such avanture so I'll just buy new one with full warranty.

aaand I think that I'll wait for the new firmware update before selling my old console to ensure that it wasn't just software/firmware problem

Message 52 of 79 (362 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

May 28, 2010
I started to take the warranty sticker off to attempt to work on it, then I realized it's a bad idea. You think I'm screwed? What would I do if they refuse to work on it? (it's out of warranty anyways)
Message 53 of 79 (362 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jul 14, 2010

same problems reading disks but mine started when using a Netflix Streaming Disc... I have good luck getting the games to read by playing

down loaded game MK2 for a like 20seconds quit game then click game disk icon and like majic it reads and plays flawless

SONY MAKE ALL GAMES WERE THEY GET INSTALLED ON PS3 AND DISK DOES NOT NEED TO BE USED ANYMORE! BESIDES FOR RE-INSTALLMENT

Message 54 of 79 (362 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jul 15, 2010

was this just for bluray disks or did this work for games too because im having the same problem

Message 55 of 79 (362 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jul 15, 2010

its not the game though. i had teh same problem but with nascar 09. after that i tried all other games i have (nfs shift, nfs pro street, madden 09, madden 10, and rockband 2) and none of them work

Message 56 of 79 (362 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Jul 15, 2010

Got a question for all of you...

Got my Fat 40gb CECHG01 as soon as it came out (Spider Man 3 bundle). Have had 0 problems to this point (2+ years). Was watching a blu-ray today and it froze. I got back to the home screen without restarting. But the movie icon in the video XMB menu disappeared. The disc loading (pulsing dial icon) icon in the top right corner next to the date/clock is constantly showing/pulsing.Trying now to diagnose the issue. I have a couple of ideas from fishing through these forums: dirty lens, burnt lens, bad laser, bad drive motor. I can insert and eject discs fine. I do not think the disc spins at all after I insert it (orientation of the disc label is in the same position as when I insert it). After I insert the disc, I hear a little "ribbit" sort of noise and then nothing. I can hear a faint spinning sound, but I think that is the HDD spinning and not the disc. My next step is to cut her open and clean the lens with some alcohol, as i did with my PS2. I am just wondering what this symptom indicates. It would seem to me that the drive motor (disc spinner) is shot. But, if the lens is dirty/burnt or if the laser is bad, should the disc still spin? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Message 57 of 79 (362 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jul 25, 2010

Yeah I kind had the same problem but mines was when I played midnight club Los angeles and it froze. After that it took longer times to load all of my games when I put them in but now they don't even load anymore but the DVD's and cds work fine in it and I have that new one and it hasn't been a year yet!!!

Message 58 of 79 (362 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Aug 1, 2010

I am really let down with sony, my ps3 has stopped reading discs, and its just outside warrenty, tried every advice online to fix it, sony want £130 for another 40gb model, £130 for a refurb with only 3 months warrenty for the same thing to happen, which seems very common in the 40 gb model...no thanks sony, but thanks for for excellent consumer help!! NOT! Totally uninterested in customer satisfaction with their products, i was even told if i didn't like it, i should take it up with trading standards! there was no good will with even offering me a newer model at a resonable price, as why would anyone want a refurb of a system that obviously has problems.

They wouldn't even take the system to see if it was a software issue of theirs, after updating the systems software it stopped working, iwas told well you shouldn't have done the update and it would still be working!

Well done sony..i have completely lost faith in their company,customer help, and products.

Message 59 of 79 (362 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Aug 28, 2010

It works for me!!! THX

Message 60 of 79 (362 Views)
0 Likes