Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sackboy
522 posts

Re: problem: ps3 not reading game disc

Jan 9, 2010
For me your laser is bad and needs to be replaced. you can ask assistance from sony.
Message 31 of 79 (494 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 26, 2010

I just got the same problem yesterday.  Was playing mw2, turned it off, then tried to play it a few hours later and it wouldn't recognize the game. It would play blu-rays and dvds, surf the internet and all that jazz.

In the process of this post I tried a process previously described in this thread and it actually worked. we'll see how long it lasts.

I loaded a demo that i have downloaded to my system (NBA live 10 to be exact) once the demo loaded i put in MW2 and then played a quick game of my demo. I then quit the demo and eureka! the icon for MW2 appeared on my screen.

hopefully this isn't a persistent problem and if it does have something to do with the update then sony needs to hurry the heck up and fix it FAST! 

Message 32 of 79 (494 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 26, 2010
my firend just told me that not to play any regular dvd in your ps3..just play blu-ray
Message 33 of 79 (494 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
320 posts

Jan 26, 2010
well mines not reading either so i tried that but nothing. im gettin a new one who wants the old one....
the problems of the world cannot be solved by the ones that created it.
Message 34 of 79 (494 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
320 posts

Jan 26, 2010
i tried battleblade777 solution....oops
the problems of the world cannot be solved by the ones that created it.
Message 35 of 79 (494 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 26, 2010

After a total of 14 hours of COD MW2 completing the first 2 waves...my 40gb ps3 will no longer read discs...i have not updated the system since 3.01 but noticed when trying to load SDVR2010 the drive seemed to do what i can only describe as chugged along till ultimate failure. I tried inserting a blu-ray THE FINAL DESTINATION and got message that could not read the disc...nor would it allow me to eject the disc. I had to power off using the rocker behind the system...then once it was off toggled the switch back on and pressed the eject button. The disc would not eject otherwise with system power on. My only guess for this would be it was trying to read the disc and wouldnt let go of the action.

I can say for certainty that it was not the update that caused the problem as i previously stated my system was still on 3.01, but i can say the game COD MW2 led to it's demise. The game being graphically intense and requiring loads of pre cache kept the drive spinning constantly to read ahead. This is without doubt the reason for the breakdown.  Older System vs Heavier Load...load wins. Unfortunately our rusty but trusty systems could not handle the load. This has been known to be the failure with other games that are rich in graphic content. 

I personally feel a disclaimer should have been provided by either the developer or by sony itself regarding said games and older systems. I understand there is an inherent risk involved whenever you play any game but seriously? 14 hours? Im sure the testers logged many more hours than that and catostrophic failure had to be a persistant issue with older systems used for testing...unless of course they expected everyone of it's legacy ps3 owners to immediately shell out another 300=350 clams for the slim upon release...I know i didnt! 

With that being said I am a former PS3 user and will be until i start pooping enough gold to purchase a new unit or this is addressed by sony or the game devs. 

Message 36 of 79 (494 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jan 27, 2010

Hey all,

This is obviously a wide spread problem and not all can be fixed without rplacing the laser or the whole drive.  I would suggest if it is still in warrenty to call sony, but if not you can first try the disc drive cleaner which worked for me only twice, then it decided it wouldn't read that disc anymore but would still read dvd and music discs.  Mine is a 40g and 3 years old, so I had nothing to loose taking it apart.  So i did the searches and found 1 that showed how to break down the drive to get to the laser and I cleaned it with a cotton swab and lens cleaner and it is working for now.  I don't know how long it will work or if this would fix all of the problems, but if it is out of warr. nothing to lose.  If you don't feel comfortable doing it, I would be more than happy to help out for $25 plus the shipping both ways.  If I cant fix it, no charge other than shipping.  And like I said, if it does work, no telling how long.  I am in the US in Georgia zip 30554.  With flat rate USPS Priority shipping shoujld not be more than $10x2.  Let me know via email

Scott

"Gotta have my MW2 Fix Daily"

Message 37 of 79 (494 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Feb 1, 2010

Psycobiker, did you get rid of the old PS3? I might need it

Anyways guys I am concern everyone is trying to look at MW2 as the fault here, the real fault is Sony... This is my problem.

I have the same error, PS3 discs wont show up on the XMB, I have tried the CDs and DVDs and they work, then used a Lens cleaner, no go, tried several games, no go, I am on version 3.15 of the console and NOTHING... I played 4 days ago Prototype, then gave it a rest, today I wanted to keep playing, when I turned the PS3 it was stuck on the loading screen, the first one with the waves, I reset it and PUM no game disc, what can I do? This is a Cecha01 model 60gb... so NO Warranty! HELP this thing was working fine until this happened, should I reset to factory settings and then restore my saves? LMK, thanks!

Message 38 of 79 (494 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Feb 2, 2010
Will someone be able to help me with my problem or guide me in the right direction?
Message 39 of 79 (494 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Feb 2, 2010
Freaking AWESOME! I reformated the HD and it worked, my darned PS3 is working again! WOOOHOO!
Message 40 of 79 (494 Views)
0 Likes