Lombax Warrior
176 posts

Re: problem: ps3 not reading game disc

Dec 20, 2009

AUSTIN-3-SIXTEEN wrote:

I'm having the same exact problem. I can't remeber for sure though I think my game (Modern Warfare 2)was still working after I downloaded the update however, I think it froze and I had to just turn it off. I am on my second playstation now my first was an 80gb that I got a couple months after they came out. That one's blu ray drive took a dump and I didn't have my reciept so I had to sell it broken on ebay. Now I have a 40gb that I payed 300 right before playstation came out with the new PS3 slim for 300 so yet again Sony screwed me out of something good.

ANYWAYS: I put in GTA IV and that still works perfectly fine along with movies. So it is not the Blu Ray drive, did the update screw up Modern Warfare 2 or something because I just get a blank screen... but if I eject it the main screen comes back up.

Another thing these damn updates, I've had three in the past week can we like just get the system right before producing it because they are annoying. 

delete the update for MW2 and re-download it.  That Fixed my friends who was having the same problem.

Message 21 of 79 (1,153 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 20, 2009

Call of Duty M2 seems to do some serious disc spinning. There must be continuous preloading going on in the background. The updates are also very small (15MB so far) so most of the environment must be remote and not local to your PS3 unit. I suspect the updates are possibly API layers.

I'll bet you anything if your CODM2 does start working it will kill your PS3 drive. Older generation PS3's seem to have disc tray failures and this in my opinion with accelerate this problem. The newer units may be better built to withstand this problem.

Message 22 of 79 (1,153 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Dec 23, 2009
I had the same thing happen to me while playing MW2. I checked the forums and was able to find someone who was able to have their ps3  games read by first inserting the disk, then opening up a game (demo) saved on the hard drive then as soon as the game begins to load (once you get a title screen) press the ps3 button on the controller and quit game. Then you should see the game in the XMB as usual. This worked for me, let me know if it helps with any of your problems.
Message 23 of 79 (1,153 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 27, 2009
What is the damn deal?  I play MW2 once and it locks up, have to turn system off, now it won't read any discs?  Not a CD, DVD, Blu-Ray, game, nothing.  I don't hear any movement inside after loading a disc just the steady blue light.  Sony is going to charge $150 to maybe fix my system that MW2 caused a problem with?  This is very lame.
Message 24 of 79 (1,153 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
47 posts

Dec 27, 2009

Hey, I'm pretty much having the same problem as you guys but my didnt stop reading discs cuz of MW2..I don't even have that game lol. But my ps3, which ive had for a good 2 years now, does NOT read any discs anymore..

Is there any way to fix this OTHER THAN breaking apart your ps3, cuz I don't want to all that technical stuff, and I might just make it worse.

Sending it into sony sounds like a bad idea according to you guys...

Seems like the only thing left to do is...just buy a new system...this is just great...

Message 25 of 79 (1,153 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
312 posts

Dec 27, 2009
Got this same problem today. It wouldn't recognize any other games I put in it either. I already paid Sony but is there a way to cancel the service request? I found a reputable place that is cheaper to fix it only 15 mins from my house.
Forgiveness is between him and God. I'm just here to arrange the meeting.
Message 26 of 79 (1,153 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
47 posts

Dec 28, 2009

infoneson wrote:
Got this same problem today. It wouldn't recognize any other games I put in it either. I already paid Sony but is there a way to cancel the service request? I found a reputable place that is cheaper to fix it only 15 mins from my house.

Well arent a lucky son of a...

Message 27 of 79 (1,153 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 28, 2009
Same problem here! I bought COD MW2, did a required PS3 update, then a COD MW2 Update, played the game for a few hours. Shut it off...Now my PS3 can't read any type of disc! THis is bullsh*t!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a 60bg ps3 and this system played flawlessly the two years I've had it. Now all of a sudden it doesn't work? Sony needs to provide some answers!
Message 28 of 79 (1,153 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Jan 5, 2010
I too have a co-worker with the same problem, brand new ps3, just got it in october, and now the Disc drive no longer functions. You'd think preliminary testing would have found that this was going to be a problem. But on the off chance that it hasn't, as it appears to be, there really are only a few options left. Lets point out a fact. Your drive is no longer functioning leaving you with a worthless unit. Plain and simple. Your unit has been broken by what seems to be a glitch in a game (Possibly - Awaiting hard evidence. AKA a video demonstration from start to finish) which causes the drive to spin out of control or at a speed which is damaging to the system. If in this case either the console maker or the software maker are at fault for releasing malicious software with the sole purpose of damaging your system, then further action can be taken. At which case all PS3's WILL be replaced at no further cost to you. I'm not with Sony, I don't work for EA or any of it's affiliates, and I don't even repair these things, this is just the law. All you need is proof. Unless that is, you all want to continue allowing others to rip you off or steal your lunch money...... Didn't think so. 
Message 29 of 79 (1,153 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Jan 9, 2010

Mine went down on COD:WAW last night. I'd be lucky if I logged over 48 hours of Gameplay on the machine in the year I've owned it.  

Pathetic. And I purposely bought a PS3 to avoid MS's RROD.  Ha!  Boy, I got taken. And literally 1.5 weeks out of warranty.  There's my

luck kicking in again. I give up. Products today just suck in manufacturing quality. Period.

Message 30 of 79 (1,153 Views)
0 Likes