Lombax Warrior
129 posts

Re: problem: ps3 not reading game disc

Jan 8, 2009

I am in the same boat. This is actually my second system (the first died just outside of my 90 target return period). Sony made me send my system in and I got back a referb that was all dinged up and the controller looked like it was a test controller at wal-mart (caked on dirt and oil from hands like you wouldn't believe). I was going to send it back but they said it would have to go through the same process and I still wouldn't get a new system back...

Anyways, it's been a little over a year since I got that replacement and not it is dead. It is having the same problem you all described but it started when I was watching a blu-ray from netflix. Eventually after restarting the system a couple times we were able to finish watching the movie. Later we were able to watch all of the original matrix and wanted through fine. 

Last night, we experienced the problem with another movie so we kept restarting it but it got progressively worse. Eventually, when a disk was inserted it wouldn't even show an icon in the XMB and it took forever to get it to eject. We tried other movies and after about an hour of just messing with it finally started playing something again ... for only about 15 min then it paused/froze again (xmb still worked). 

I tried a regular cd but not a dvd, only other blu-ray movies.

I am outside the Sony warranty but have an extended warranty through target. Since they want to "fix it" I would rather fine another solution before I actually let target have my system. 

Any other fixes that you guys come across, please let me know. I have googled and most/all threads pretty much just say to return it, without any real thought to possible fixes.

Edit:

The only thing that throws me off is that when this problem occurs and if I wait long enough for the movie to eject and throw me back into the XMB, all XMB icons pertaining to media have a rotating arrow around them (as if they are all trying to load). What I mean by that is any game I have downloaded, any music I have added or any movie I have in the system or videos download all have loading arrows around their icons.

So it's almost like the whole system is have a problem, not just the blu-ray drive.

Message Edited by Pyrophorics on 01-08-2009 08:48 AM
Message 11 of 79 (2,994 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

May 26, 2009
My system is doing the same thing yours was.  Did you ever get a solution to the problem?
Message 12 of 79 (2,994 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Aug 8, 2009
I just encountered this problem today, and i have had my system 2 years, so the warranty was a no go, and after reading everyones posts, decided to take apart my system  ( be careful when you do this, and research how to do it first, aka simply type in google "taking apart ps3").  After i took off the 2 cases i dusted the drive with condensed air (again be careful, as you cant exactly see what you are doing), and then took out all of the ribbons and wires connected to the blu ray drive and reconnected them (tip: there is a little black plastic bar across the ribbons that needs to be pushed up) and then put the system back together and it read the discs again.  My conclusion would either be some dust got on the optical light in the drive, or more likely, as i was just on vacation and took my ps3 with me, some of the ribbon wires could have gotten shaken around a bit, as i observed that the way the wires are kept down are not very secure.
Message 13 of 79 (2,994 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1567 posts

Aug 8, 2009

I had the same problem back in February. It would read DVD's but not games.

I took mine to bits cleaned the lens and it worked fine for another 3 months. It happened again so I cleaned it and worked fine till last night. I took it back to bits to clean the lens but I snapped a tiny little blue and red wire.

Now I need a new one.

I don't recommend anyone take theirs to bits unless it is out of warranty or you have some idea what you are doing.

Message 14 of 79 (2,994 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Nov 15, 2009
games are not reading, could it be bad game (modern warfare 2)
Message 15 of 79 (2,994 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Nov 16, 2009
I was playin MW2 co-op when this happened. game froze i tried resetting but it wouldnt turn off. turned the back off then turned it on again then there was no picture now it wont read games or movies
Message 16 of 79 (2,994 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Nov 16, 2009

consoles just aren't built as good as they used too, too much rush in the market and new technology that is not tested well enough.

if my ps3 goes i think i'm just gonna stick to cartridge gaming haha

Message 17 of 79 (2,994 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Nov 20, 2009

Had same issue.. playing COD MW2 in multiplayer... system froze... did a hard reboot and now it won't read discs..  I also installed the new system update before noticing the disc problem.   ANy answers out there?

Tried something from another PS3 forum that showed how to restore files using the recovery console, but did not work for me.

Message 18 of 79 (2,994 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Nov 20, 2009
I just bought cod mw2. before i put the game in, i updated my system. put the game in and i get just a blank screen. all my other games seem to read fine except for this one. i even went back to gamestop and exchanged the game for a new copy. still the same problem. did the update mess up my ps3?
Message 19 of 79 (2,994 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 20, 2009

I'm having the same exact problem. I can't remeber for sure though I think my game (Modern Warfare 2)was still working after I downloaded the update however, I think it froze and I had to just turn it off. I am on my second playstation now my first was an 80gb that I got a couple months after they came out. That one's blu ray drive took a dump and I didn't have my reciept so I had to sell it broken on ebay. Now I have a 40gb that I payed 300 right before playstation came out with the new PS3 slim for 300 so yet again Sony screwed me out of something good.

ANYWAYS: I put in GTA IV and that still works perfectly fine along with movies. So it is not the Blu Ray drive, did the update screw up Modern Warfare 2 or something because I just get a blank screen... but if I eject it the main screen comes back up.

Another thing these damn updates, I've had three in the past week can we like just get the system right before producing it because they are annoying. 

Message 20 of 79 (2,994 Views)
0 Likes